• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touchy Subject

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchy Subject

Did most everyone get done harvest?

There is a wee bit out here. But only one guy that I know of in this district, some of his crop only 2-2 1/2 miles from me.

Talked to a guy at a meeting in Regina last week who is from south of MooseJaw who said he still has some out. Seems like a bit of an eccentric fellow though.

I don't know if the resident "wide spread local" BTO got done "everywhere".

How about the Peace River region, northern Alta and Sask?

The turn in weather was a good chance to get some harvesting done, even if it wasn't in the condition hoped for.

It surely was a harvest from hell for some people.

The harvest from hell is set to continue again this week for us. Still 130+ acres of flat, tough, frozen, green canola. Double digit highs the next two days. Questioning if it is worth harvesting though. Not losing much sleep over it. Most in the area are done.

Comment

I think everyone got done here except one BTO that came from north of here and rented a bunch of high rent land. What he had left out was froze so bad I don’t know if it was worth doing. Another smaller guy a few miles south has some out but he has some out every year. There is likely more in the area that I don’t know about.

Comment

A salesman stopped in a few days ago ,he said there is quite a lot out here, says this is going to sink some this yr,right close there is a few hundred acres, only 3 guys that I know personally,300 for 1 guy 900 for another, he had combine problems, but lots of bagged grain don't know how tough it was, do could be more problems down the road, that's nw of Edmonton.

Comment

Fair bit left out around here and to the NW of this area east of Edmonton. Mostly done east and south of here. I still have canola out.

Comment

WC Saskatchewan, most got done here. Just a few with a field or two here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              I think everyone got done here except one BTO that came from north of here and rented a bunch of high rent land. What he had left out was froze so bad I don’t know if it was worth doing. Another smaller guy a few miles south has some out but he has some out every year. There is likely more in the area that I don’t know about.
              Maybe both these guys decided to shut down, they have enough to get through winter.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                Maybe both these guys decided to shut down, they have enough to get through winter.
                The small guy will be fine with what he left out. The BTO I am sure he would like to have all the canola that he has laying under snow.

Comment

We finished (finally) in the snow on Halloween and barely got the truck home because of the mud. I’m guessing there’s at least 10-15% left out in our area and it certainly wasn’t for lack of trying. We were going around the clock through frost, light rain and everything. Repeatedly breaking down from tough/horrible conditions like the last three years is no fun.

Decided yesterday everything is going into barley to hopefully make for a quick and early harvest next year. Almost had enough of trying to combine out here and will possibly increase the cow numbers instead. These repeated ongoing September snowfalls really take all the fun/ enjoyment out of fall. Been dealing with snow for over two months already here and I’m beyond sick of it.

Comment

We've got quite a mess going here in south-western Ontario.

It seemed to start raining non-stop in mid-September. There were a few windows that allowed early soys and white beans came off fairly well but it only got tougher. There are some fields of whites around that are written off now and still quite a few soys to harvest around here.

The corn is turning into a disaster because of vomitoxin. Some fields are clean but many are infected, including mine. Very spotty, it seems. Elevators are rejecting quite a bit around here. Yields in our area are huge - maybe record-breaking - but it's garbage which no one wants or can use. Ethanol plants can use it but cannot get rid of the distiller's grains because of the highly concentrated levels of DON.

There is a meeting today with govs., farm groups and Agricorp (crop ins.) to discuss the issue. Crop insurance says it insures quantity, not quality.

And now it's turned cold and there's about 6" of snow on the crop still out...

Not sure what's happening up in the eastern part of the province.

Reportedly the US corn belt is suffering some of the same toxin issues.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                      The whisky's supposed to drown the memory !
                      I prefer spiced rum🥃😜

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                        We've got quite a mess going here in south-western Ontario.

It seemed to start raining non-stop in mid-September. There were a few windows that allowed early soys and white beans came off fairly well but it only got tougher. There are some fields of whites around that are written off now and still quite a few soys to harvest around here.

The corn is turning into a disaster because of vomitoxin. Some fields are clean but many are infected, including mine. Very spotty, it seems. Elevators are rejecting quite a bit around here. Yields in our area are huge - maybe record-breaking - but it's garbage which no one wants or can use. Ethanol plants can use it but cannot get rid of the distiller's grains because of the highly concentrated levels of DON.

There is a meeting today with govs., farm groups and Agricorp (crop ins.) to discuss the issue. Crop insurance says it insures quantity, not quality.

And now it's turned cold and there's about 6" of snow on the crop still out...

Not sure what's happening up in the eastern part of the province.

Reportedly the US corn belt is suffering some of the same toxin issues.
                        Wow. I have been totally ignorant of this situation. It goes to show how easily I became regional and self absorbed.
                        Hopefully there is some kind of solution in your meetings. It may take some time but my experience is the market will find a “best case scenario “ and the grain will sell so do not dump it in the bush yet.

Comment

Excellent advice Hobbit.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            Excellent advice Hobbit.
                            I was being genuine.

sticks and stones et al....

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                              I was being genuine.

sticks and stones et al....
                              I was being sincere.

Best laugh I get from someone modifying my Username was checking's "pharma"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.