• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Investments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Investments

Back in about 1980, my brother and I took a course called , “The Automatic Profit Taker”. It was a fool-proof way to generate American dollars on the stock market, repeatedly. I met my friend, an art shop owner several years older than myself, and was sharing my information. His response to me was priceless, “Tell me about this two years from now.” I still think about that response. Wonder what happened with my $5000 US investment? My very volatile occilating stock, Allied Artists went up, my stock broker forgot to make my sell and poof, the stock went bankrupt - money gone.

No one cares more about your money than yourself. Unless you're going to sail your own investment ship you might be disappointed when your "Advisor/broker" hits the iceberg or runs it up on a sand bar in low tide.

One guy said invest in what you know...for me that would probably be my farm and therefore probably farmland.

I don't have the skill set to play on the stock market. Or don't want to take the time to babysit it. I guess some of that could be taken away with buy and sell stops.

How many people can "earn a living" stock trading....would it be a feast or famine existence? Or is it more of a hobby.

Probably like gambling...people may only brag about their wins and never mention their losses. And like gambling I think stock trading requires DISCIPLINE. And possibly a need to keep their greed in check.

Comment

You can avoid being in the 'market' but if you own a car, buy fuel, have a mortgage, cell phone... Your in the market. Buying stocks without strong long term fundamentals will end badly. Look out below for the current multibillion dollar valued pot stocks and 100 to 200 PE tech stocks.

And if you think your money is safe in your bank account or under your matress think again its being eroded by inflation by at least 5% per year.
      Last edited by biglentil; Nov 12, 2018, 08:40.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
        The stock market might promise 5-10 per cent return but eventually they take your money !

Nothing is better than inflation !
        You've been brainwashed like the rest that inflation is healthy. Enjoy the erosion of your purchasing power.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
          sask crop insurance is a poor investment if you don't collect !

20 an acre for nothing !
          Only a good investment for the fraudsters hiding grain or letting their crop to go shit.

Comment

"for me that would probably be my farm and therefore probably farmland."

I bought some in 1982, took 25 years to come back to even. Since then a great investment...IF you held on sold lately. All depends on timing, maybe mostly LUCK? An uncle retired sold the land, it tripled in next 5 years. Iron however evaporates in the shed, RBA tells us all the sad truth. One of best investments has been collectible muscle cars from the 70's.
            Last edited by fjlip; Nov 12, 2018, 12:29.

Comment

Good investments are few and far between as the investment landscape has been picked clean. Investment dollars have flowed into the US as that is the one market in which you stand a chance of making a return. However, valuations are plenty high as a result. These days are deflationary (in $USD terms) because every day your customer is poorer than he was yesterday. The pulse market in India is classic evidence of this. Anyways, my Canadian market strategy is two fold. Buy big dividend names such as BCE when the chart has them in a buy position. Sell covered calls when they are in a sell position. Currently short BCE Nov @56. Another thing is to look for for companies trading on the TSX that actually do most business south of the border. ENB would now be an example. Used to own Milestone apartment and Student transportation both got bought out. GIC are starting to become attractive. Watch Coast Capital for a 4% GIC. Real estate in Canuckistan is a toxic asset and must be avoided. Apparently Canuckistan housing has a 9% vacancy rate in larger urban centers, which is less than China's at 22%, granted but frightening enough. US market is covered via broad market etf and some select stocks in health care as well as KMI. KMI is the recipient of Canuck tax dough after the pipeline fiasco so getting some of my money back. US government bonds are likely attractive at this level for a contrarian play. Capital from around the world is looking for a home in the US so I see 10 yr treasury yield declining in the next 6 to 12 months. Granted China can't afford to buy treasuries any more but investors from around the world have taken their place and kept yield from spiking. Yes I know that they are higher than they were.

Comment

I think, if the Democrats snag any more power, watch the American market tank, JMHO.

The Dow probably has already had the tires shot out.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  I think, if the Democrats snag any more power, watch the American market tank, JMHO.

The Dow probably has already had the tires shot out.
                  Politics only has a small affect on the market. The fed is behind the wheel and is a private entity.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" —*Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild
                  Last edited by biglentil; Nov 12, 2018, 19:11.

Comment

Netflix in 2007 was start-up, now its over $200.

But was thinking, with Cdn oil battered and tattered, prolly those of us heavily dependent on fuelmight want to think about buying some quality Cdn oil like Suncor, Vermillion or Parex Resources for growth and possible upward draft - just hoping that the cloud over Western Canada evaporates some day. Seems like agood hedge to me. If oil up + natural gas up, then fuel and fert costs up, common sense might say shares would offset. Thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                      Netflix in 2007 was start-up, now its over $200.

But was thinking, with Cdn oil battered and tattered, prolly those of us heavily dependent on fuelmight want to think about buying some quality Cdn oil like Suncor, Vermillion or Parex Resources for growth and possible upward draft - just hoping that the cloud over Western Canada evaporates some day. Seems like agood hedge to me. If oil up + natural gas up, then fuel and fert costs up, common sense might say shares would offset. Thinking out loud.
                      .....then maybe farming isn't such a good investment if you have to rely on stock market returns to offset increased input costs because of higher product related oil prices. We SHOULD be seeing massive savings now in fuel costs and fert because of "historical" natural gas prices. But instead are being ****en gouged.

Comment

Back in the mid 90s I read somewhere that investing in yourself is the best investment or something to the effect of do what you love and you will never work a day in your life...

I did that...Have a pretty nice farm worth more than I paid... not paid for ....and a great family....

Even though its work.....and I bitch....this is a great gig....and a pretty good investment so far...maybe not from a monetary view but I could be doing a lot worse....and I know that for a certainty...

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          .....then maybe farming isn't such a good investment if you have to rely on stock market returns to offset increased input costs because of higher product related oil prices. We SHOULD be seeing massive savings now in fuel costs and fert because of "historical" natural gas prices. But instead are being ****en gouged.
                          Precisely.

Comment

Crescent Point is trading right around $5 today, hasnt been this low since 2003.

With a .03c/share MONTHLY dividend.. that is a dividend yield of around 7%.. insane.

It is likely that dividend gets lowered if prices stay the same.

Regardless, Even if its not a long term play, this looks like a good buy today.

Comment

What happens if the mandated production cuts the industry is looking for happens....wouldnt that impact earnings?

OR more likely....

Sounds like the industry in Alberta is trying a page out of the OPEC playbook....talk cuts until the market rises....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.