• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massey combine questions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massey combine questions

Currently running two TX66’s here and they seem to have issues in canola with green stems plugging the cylinder up tight. It’s a real problem this year as we swathed after the snow flattened the crop enough that we scalped the ground to get it. We got a lot of crop out yet and the breakdowns like burned or jumped belts are really eating up the time.

We are considering looking for another machine and would like something that can deal with tough/wet grain and straw. We would like something with lower hours and under $140k price tag. We’re thinking possibly of a Massey 9790 or 9895 since my father or FIL would be running it and the reversible rotor seems very appealing. How do these machines handle wet conditions and are they reliable?

Don’t want to be shopping now but eating 25’ swathes at 2 mph and still plugging isn’t a great option either.

P.S. What is Combine World like for selling used machinery? Called yesterday about a unit but all the salesmen were on holidays. Bought parts several times there and had decent luck.

TIA

Unless a 9895 is chipped it sure likes its fuel.

Simple combines. Will be cheaper to buy than the mainstream brands.

9790 had shoe problems, would be good to know if its been updated.

****en electronics can be an issue on any brand combine....lots of modules on the 9895, can't remember if the 9790 had as many. When it comes to electronics make sure you have "close" and "good" dealer support.

Comment

Used to have the same problem with our 8460's. Replacing the light flimsy factory cylinders with Sunnybrook high inertia enclosed cylinders solved the problem and increased capacity drastically. Went from plugging every few minutes in tough green canola to a couple times a season. They nearly stall the engine on a big slug, but the momentum keeps them turning and they recover. A lot cheaper than a newer combine, but a big job in the middle of harvest.

Comment

Pay a bit more and get a case. You don't have to fix every day. Cheaper than Deere. Might have to wait for an auction to get one in your price range.

Comment

Agree with Farma , a good 9895 Massey cheap enough is a great combine for $50,000 less than any class 8 Case . Will do more. They are a well built combine .

Comment

I have heard the new cases are good for 600 hrs before new rotor bearings.

Comment

get an older caseih at auction, full feeder and rotor reverser.

Comment

I think you might not like the straw out the back of the Massey being a cow guy. Not sure on the newer ones but the 9790s you can't spread chaff and drop straw and I didn't like that either. I had an 8570 at one time which is similar just smaller and older than the 9790, it was super easy to set, and if you did plug the rotor the rotor reverses was nice, could also control the pickup belts separate from the header which was also nice for header plugs. Good simple machines.

Harder to find good older lexions but they will chew some pretty tough crops, leave decent straw and are fairly well built. I've been running a 470r (So does klause) currently waiting on parts so panicked and bought a new Holland rotary to help get finished. Would prefer another lexion but couldn't find what I wanted on short notice.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies 👍. Ended up getting a Challenger 670 and the price seems good especially since I’m probably considered “kinda cheap”. We usually look for highly depreciated low usage equipment that comes here till it leaves as scrap so resale value isn’t a big deal. Mom and dad left this morning and drove to the other side of Saskatoon, did the deal, and should be back before midnight. Mom can make time on a 1300km trip. 😎

She even found a trucker to bring it out on Saturday which is great since everyone I called was booked up for a week or two. Can’t wait till it gets here since we’ve only got 60 acres off in three days due to plugging and fixing during the nicest weather we’ve had this fall. Hopefully everyone had had better luck than us since there’s still a lot of crop out around here.

Comment

Our last combine was a Challenger 680B. In case people don't know....they are AGCO combines, I think what you have is equivalent to a MF 9795. GDR made a good point about baling straw coming out of one of these....you might be frustrated. But maybe not as frustrated as trying to bale what comes out the back of the newer Agcos. Also, if you're always working in tougher conditions it may not be as bad as we think....except that the rotary may grumble more than a conventional Lexion.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your style of equipment management...buying decent low value stuff, it's out there, just got to find it. No single brand(make) makes the best of everything!
                    Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 19, 2018, 05:51.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Our last combine was a Challenger 680B. In case people don't know....they are AGCO combines, I think what you have is equivalent to a MF 9795. GDR made a good point about baling straw coming out of one of these....you might be frustrated. But maybe not as frustrated as trying to bale what comes out the back of the newer Agcos. Also, if you're always working in tougher conditions it may not be as bad as we think....except that the rotary may grumble more than a conventional Lexion.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your style of equipment management...buying decent low value stuff, it's out there, just got to find it. No single brand(make) makes the best of everything!
                      Thanks Farmaholic. It’s the same as a Massey 9790 except it’s got a Cat engine and different sheet metal. We checked out our neighbors as they have one of each and seem satisfied with them. We still have the two TX’s for straw and they seem to work better in cereals anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                        Make sure the engines good !

A Farmer from way out here traded a challenger with a blown engine to a dealer !

It may have ended up at where you bought it !

It had low hours cause it never ran !
                        The trucker that’s bringing it out was the same one that moved it already from Smoky Lake which ironically is way closer to us than Saskatoon. Said the guy traded it since he wanted a newer/ bigger unit. We’ll soon see how true that is😉

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                          Thanks for all the replies 👍. Ended up getting a Challenger 670 and the price seems good especially since I’m probably considered “kinda cheap”. We usually look for highly depreciated low usage equipment that comes here till it leaves as scrap so resale value isn’t a big deal. Mom and dad left this morning and drove to the other side of Saskatoon, did the deal, and should be back before midnight. Mom can make time on a 1300km trip. 😎

She even found a trucker to bring it out on Saturday which is great since everyone I called was booked up for a week or two. Can’t wait till it gets here since we’ve only got 60 acres off in three days due to plugging and fixing during the nicest weather we’ve had this fall. Hopefully everyone had had better luck than us since there’s still a lot of crop out around here.
                          Never apologize for being “kinda cheap”. Its your farm and your money. I run a 24 year old combine and watch the dealership service trucks following around the $350,000-$500,000 machines like a dog in heat.
                          Total nonsense.

Comment

We have a 670B . Check the chaffer sieve drive. Bearing tends to go and break the keyed shaft, especially older as there was a shaft change.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.