• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just read this

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just read this

From the Western Producer....

""""One month after A&W launched its Beyond Meat Burger in Canada it was no longer available for purchase.

The company couldn’t keep up with demand due to a shortage of the plant-based protein used to make the burgers.

Peas and beans are the two primary ingredients in Beyond Meat Burgers but due to a lack of processing capacity there wasn’t enough supply to meet the demand coming from A&W.

Frank Hart, chair of Protein Industries Canada, said many food companies are clamouring for plant-based protein.

“The consumer demand is clearly there and companies want to produce these new products but they need the raw material to produce them,” he said.

“That is actually holding back food companies from moving forward on developing innovative products.”

Protein Industries Canada is attempting to address that supply/demand gap through a $153 million grant from the federal government’s Innovation Superclusters Program."""""

so technically speaking A&W gets subsidized for making plant based burgers....but farmers don't need anything...

Good luck finding supplies.....

Can feed a lot more people off the same land base with pulses than by raising cattle so this is overall bearish to western Canuckistanian ag. Beef production will shrink into a small niche in order to use rangeland in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      From the Western Producer....

""""One month after A&W launched its Beyond Meat Burger in Canada it was no longer available for purchase.

The company couldn’t keep up with demand due to a shortage of the plant-based protein used to make the burgers.

Peas and beans are the two primary ingredients in Beyond Meat Burgers but due to a lack of processing capacity there wasn’t enough supply to meet the demand coming from A&W.

Frank Hart, chair of Protein Industries Canada, said many food companies are clamouring for plant-based protein.

“The consumer demand is clearly there and companies want to produce these new products but they need the raw material to produce them,” he said.

“That is actually holding back food companies from moving forward on developing innovative products.”

Protein Industries Canada is attempting to address that supply/demand gap through a $153 million grant from the federal government’s Innovation Superclusters Program."""""

so technically speaking A&W gets subsidized for making plant based burgers....but farmers don't need anything...

Good luck finding supplies.....
      Yup ,keep pea prices at barely profitable levels ..... and then expect supply , wtf is wrong with this whole industry. Seriously... is it such a bad thing to pay farmers decent to grow good quality protein ????
      They could have all the supply they want but .... like everything in Ag no one wants to pay the primary producer who takes 100% of the risk growing crops .... nope can’t have that at all 🙄.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Yup ,keep pea prices at barely profitable levels ..... and then expect supply , wtf is wrong with this whole industry. Seriously... is it such a bad thing to pay farmers decent to grow good quality protein ????
        They could have all the supply they want but .... like everything in Ag no one wants to pay the primary producer who takes 100% of the risk growing crops .... nope can’t have that at all 🙄.
        Exactly.

Comment

wouldn't that have been a good job (processing) for the pulse people to have been working on?
          but the main man informed me that their main focus has been on increasing production?????
          oblivious to the problem , the whole ****ing works of them
          money comes in to easy for them , I guess
          everyone needs to get on the ****ing phone

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            Can feed a lot more people off the same land base with pulses than by raising cattle so this is overall bearish to western Canuckistanian ag. Beef production will shrink into a small niche in order to use rangeland in the future.
            I sure like my big juicy steak , I won't change, but I'm sure a lot of tree huggers/basement dwellers/potheads. are thinking the same thing

Comment

But right now they can't get their plant based burger either....

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                wouldn't that have been a good job (processing) for the pulse people to have been working on?
                but the main man informed me that their main focus has been on increasing production?????
                oblivious to the problem , the whole ****ing works of them
                money comes in to easy for them , I guess
                everyone needs to get on the ****ing phone
                They have been , but I think everyone is trying to position themselves to ride the gravy train before it the left over pennies trickle to the primary producer .... just a wild guess lol . In the mean time the opportunity is fading away . Also until there is a real effort into the causes of root rot , which should have been looked at 10 years ago when Ed Seidle started ringing the alarm , there may have been hope . But no one wants to really admit the issue at all .

Comment

Peas are a good protein source with a near complete amino acid profile. I prefer red meat, can’t stand chicken, but would eat a veg burger before eating a cricket burger.

Comment

We have also shown that certain foliars can add 1.5 to 2% protein . But no one willing to pay ... yet . So without a premium on current pea prices there is very little incentive to grow them let alone produce more .

Comment

After talking with Protein Industries canada ....I feel this is snake oil ....if you can't promise to provide better returns to primary producers then the system is flawed....you can't have scientists and others feeding off taxpayers money without results to the very people that have to make the product in the first place....

Otherwise you are just creating an industry that can move to where they do value farmers....like India or Russia.....where there is population and freight advantages....

And thats exactly what will happen...

Taking from my tax dollars and my checkoff dollars....with a system that administers tax dollars to every crazy that comes up with a protein idea with no performance attached to it....??????

How do primary producers buy into this nonsense....every one lives on taxpayer dollars except the very people that take the real risks to make it all happen....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        After talking with Protein Industries canada ....I feel this is snake oil ....if you can't promise to provide better returns to primary producers then the system is flawed....you can't have scientists and others feeding off taxpayers money without results to the very people that have to make the product in the first place....

Otherwise you are just creating an industry that can move to where they do value farmers....like India or Russia.....where there is population and freight advantages....

And thats exactly what will happen...

Taking from my tax dollars and my checkoff dollars....with a system that administers tax dollars to every crazy that comes up with a protein idea with no performance attached to it....??????

How do primary producers buy into this nonsense....every one lives on taxpayer dollars except the very people that take the real risks to make it all happen....
                        Very well said Bucket 👍👍

Comment

The only thing that I don’t get with society today and A&W’s sell on hormone free food is summed up with this ...

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            The only thing that I don’t get with society today and A&W’s sell on hormone free food is summed up with this ...

But if plant based proteins is what they demand , so be it , we will grow it , just pay for it at the primary producer level , not feed all the leach’s in between and expect farmers to do it for nothing . We have families to raise and massive risks to take growing crop that make that plant protein . Without us , they have nothing ... as proven why they had to ditch the veggie burger. It’s not rocket science... just give the primary producer an incentive to do it !! Why is that such a fukin bad thing ???

Comment

Wonder what the taste preferences are for the new faces of Canada and Europe that Liberals favour.
                              Last edited by Taiga; Oct 12, 2018, 18:29.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.