• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolute Foolishness - Chuck and Grass You'll probably agree with me.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolute Foolishness - Chuck and Grass You'll probably agree with me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hut8-medicine-hat-bitcoin-mining-1.4834027 https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hut8-medicine-hat-bitcoin-mining-1.4834027

We can't build pipelines, bad for the environment and global warming...

We need a carbon tax to reduce emissions.... because global warming and increasing CO2 emissions.

Now we build a f***ing server farm outside of Medicine Hat to literally compute thin air, burning natural gas (a finite resource) at a rate equivalent to a city of 60,000 people and industrial complexes... And somehow this is isn't an environmental problem????

How the hell did this get approved???? Why the hell did it get approved???

63Mw of electricity going through computers to calculate the algorithms for producing bitcoins... all produced from nat gas....

Doing some rough calculations on the power throughput and CPU efficiency, that "plant" produces 26,000,000 BTUs per hour in waste heat that's being vented into the environment. No word of a waste heat recovery system, and from the pics doubt they have one.

Computers, at maximum power give off 30% of their power consumption as heat. 19Mw of electricity goes to producing waste heat.

We have truly gone insane in this country.
    Last edited by Klause; Sep 24, 2018, 10:58.

Originally posted by Klause View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hut8-medicine-hat-bitcoin-mining-1.4834027 https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hut8-medicine-hat-bitcoin-mining-1.4834027

We need a carbon tax to reduce emissions.... because global warming and increasing CO2 emissions.

Now we build a f***ing server farm outside of Medicine Hat to literally compute thin air, burning natural gas (a finite resource) at a rate equivalent to a city of 60,000 people and industrial complexes... And somehow this is isn't an environmental problem????

63Mw of electricity going through computers to calculate the algorithms for producing bitcoins... all produced from nat gas....

Doing some rough calculations on the power throughput and CPU efficiency, that "plant" produces 26,000,000 BTUs per hour in waste heat that's being vented into the environment. No word of a waste heat recovery system, and from the pics doubt they have one.

Computers, at maximum power give off 30% of their power consumption as heat. 19Mw of electricity goes to producing waste heat.

I doubt there will be one word from the climate crusaders on this one ..... crickets

Comment

They should dump that waste heat into Cucumber Man's greenhouse there.

Comment

Wow do I agree.
        At the very least I've always felt regarding electrical usage, that a paying customer in for profit business has provided the demand.
        However, the blind hypocrisy is profound. Consider all of the computing demand worldwide. Or California needs being met by natural gas because it's cleaner so it's all good.

Comment

That’s how I’m going to heat my chicken coup this winter, a bitcoin miner. Good idea! 👍 I can spend the winter in Florida spending bitcoin and know that the chickens are warm and there will lots of new bitcoins when I return - how cool is that!

Comment

That’s how I’m going to heat my chicken coup this winter, a bitcoin miner. Good idea! 👍 I can spend the winter in Florida spending bitcoin and know that the chickens are warm and there will lots of new bitcoins when I return - how cool is that! Maybe I’ll get a green grant for the operation.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              I doubt there will be one word from the climate crusaders on this one ..... crickets
              Not likely because they would have to admit that a renewable energy source such as wind or solar electricity isn’t feasible without a subsidy.
              The crusaders have blessed us with hundreds of cut and pastes that have stated that wind and solar make economic sense.

***crickets*****

Comment

I need a bitcoin system here , I then can use the huge amount of carbon green excess heat to help dry my grain carbon tax free !! 👍👍👍 always an upside lol
                Keep all the climate crusaders at bay and help take off a tough crop off without getting gouged by a retarded carbon tax bill .... win win 😎

Comment

This business is likely just as legit as most others. You have to find a product people will buy and market for everything else is saturated these days so if you can get $USD for bitcoin why not? At least this is not another stupid MJ greenhouse. Word to the wise: MJ grows in every back yard in the country, so why do you need a green house? Mind you if it is winter time 12 months of the year in Canuckistan, it will be hard to have a steady supply at times of the year.

Comment

This site is right next to the road that leads to the Medicine Hat Drag Racing facility. Let's see now , this flash in the pan currency tracker burns enough ****ing power to run the entire city , but the EVIL fossil fuel burning vehicles we drive are the enemy? I love the smell of a 2,000 HP alcohol burning dragster going down that track. I also like driving my 50 year old dinasaur of an old Ford to that very same track also!

My currency is in my farm , and my family. Period!

Comment

Energy usage by the internet and computing in general is increasing exponentially.

Bitcoin mining is just the tip of the iceberg. Blockchain systems will be used in a variety of ways including tracing food production from farm to table.

There is a alot of wind and solar capacity being installed worldwide including in Canada. Saskatchewan is planning on 50% renewables by 2030. Development of storage systems is well underway. This will be a long transition to a low carbon energy system. New wind is very competitive with gas and much cheaper than new coal. Solar is now the cheapest form of electricity in many parts of the world.

from Bloomberg:
                      “Wind and solar are set to surge to almost “50 by 50” – 50% of world generation by 2050 – on the back of precipitous reductions in cost, and the advent of cheaper and cheaper batteries that will enable electricity to be stored and discharged to meet shifts in demand and supply. Coal shrinks to just 11% of global electricity generation by 2050.”

https://about.bnef.com/new-energy-outlook/

But some of you cant seem to adjust your thinking and are clinging to the past. The world will move on without you.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        Energy usage by the internet and computing in general is increasing exponentially.

Bitcoin mining is just the tip of the iceberg. Blockchain systems will be used in a variety of ways including tracing food production from farm to table.

There is a alot of wind and solar capacity being installed worldwide including in Canada. Saskatchewan is planning on 50% renewables by 2030. Development of storage systems is well underway. This will be a long transition to a low carbon energy system. New wind is very competitive with gas and much cheaper than new coal. Solar is now the cheapest form of electricity in many parts of the world.

from Bloomberg:
                        “Wind and solar are set to surge to almost “50 by 50” – 50% of world generation by 2050 – on the back of precipitous reductions in cost, and the advent of cheaper and cheaper batteries that will enable electricity to be stored and discharged to meet shifts in demand and supply. Coal shrinks to just 11% of global electricity generation by 2050.”

https://about.bnef.com/new-energy-outlook/

But some of you cant seem to adjust your thinking and are clinging to the past. The world will move on without you.

Not all block chain requires progressively more power to compute.

Block chain isn't evil and computation for transferring and serving the world's data and solving the world's mysteries is one thing.

Sinply wasting a finite resource on this is quite another.

Many data centers have WHR systems...

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/data-centers-that-recycle-waste-heat https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/data-centers-that-recycle-waste-heat

If this one ran on renewable energy I wouldn't care. But it's not. It is running on 100% fossil fuel power

Comment

So Chuck we can assume you have adjusted and your solar system has been installed and working fine.or is it still do as I say not as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by binthere View Post
                            So Chuck we can assume you have adjusted and your solar system has been installed and working fine.or is it still do as I say not as I do.
                            Just signed a contract for one to be installed this year.

Without a subsidy the estimated cost for a Kwh is 6.9 cents over 30 years. Saskpower is currently charging 11.8 cents for farms and it will go up alot in 30 years.

So who said that Solar needs a subsidy?

Comment

Not all block chain requires progressively more power to compute.

Block chain isn't evil and computation for transferring and serving the world's data and solving the world's mysteries is one thing.

Sinply wasting a finite resource on this is quite another.

Many data centers have WHR systems...

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/data-centers-that-recycle-waste-heat https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/data-centers-that-recycle-waste-heat

If this one ran on renewable energy I wouldn't care. But it's not. It is running on 100% fossil fuel power
                              Yes I agree it is a concern. But in this land of waste and mismanagement there are a lot of stupid things that are going on when it comes to energy usage.

Blockchain technology is here and has a lot of potential benefits. Engineers are developing more energy efficient computer and internet systems.
                              Last edited by chuckChuck; Sep 25, 2018, 09:34.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.