• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frost Pic from a mate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frost Pic from a mate

Not good
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DnWY2vdUAAAECC3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	778148Click image for larger version

Name:	DnWY2vZU0AIYIqr.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	778149

Oh and both wheats are stuffed the one on the right of pics is frosted in the boot as we call it both will be hayed

Comment

Wow not good. Can you get paid good for the silage since it’s a dry year

Comment

Malle had it not froze what would that wheat have yielded?

Comment

Was a nice looking crop , should make good feed though.
          There is going to be some sad faces in Peace River area and North West Sask as well if / when the combines get rolling again. A lot of crops froze to various degrees in a very big area a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Was a nice looking crop , should make good feed though.
            There is going to be some sad faces in Peace River area and North West Sask as well if / when the combines get rolling again. A lot of crops froze to various degrees in a very big area a while back.
            Been getting to -6C or so almost every night in the Peace for a week and highs of +4C. Way below normal for Sept.

Comment

At a guess 3t to ha.

Both will be hay or grazed perhaps but think hay is the plan.

You guys cant get insurance over there for these types of incidents?

Weve escaped thus far but minus 2 forecast for sunday night monday morning coming anxiouys wait

Comment

Mallee our crop insurance would cover anything below 80% of normal yields averaged across your farm on each crop. I think it’s a really great program especially compared to cattle where you’re on your own for losses.

Just curious how that crop will pencil out going into bales vs if it had been unfrosted and threshed out?

Up here we were dry till this unwanted snow came and the crop was worth the same wether it turned into bales or bushels. Thought we’d leave it for the combine since the smoke was miserable for making dry hay and now there’s mud and flattened crop. Just my luck🍀

Here’s hoping that Jack Frost doesn’t nip your crops.

P.S. Does the frost usually line up with changes in the moon down under............ full moon seems to be when the weather changes up here good or bad.

Comment

The severity of #frosts in #WA are continuing to be felt, with 9 different weather stations under -2 degrees for over 5 hours over the 15th and 16th of September! With over 1MMT expected to be wiped off the #wheat crop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DnbHly9UcAAtHH3.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	766715

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                    Mallee our crop insurance would cover anything below 80% of normal yields averaged across your farm on each crop. I think it’s a really great program especially compared to cattle where you’re on your own for losses.

Just curious how that crop will pencil out going into bales vs if it had been unfrosted and threshed out?

Up here we were dry till this unwanted snow came and the crop was worth the same wether it turned into bales or bushels. Thought we’d leave it for the combine since the smoke was miserable for making dry hay and now there’s mud and flattened crop. Just my luck🍀

Here’s hoping that Jack Frost doesn’t nip your crops.

P.S. Does the frost usually line up with changes in the moon down under............ full moon seems to be when the weather changes up here good or bad.
                    Really great program? With this extreme weather if your in a cycle where you lost 3 3 crops like some people out of 10 your at 70% times that by 80% you are insuring 56% of what you can grow. On top of that our sask party has raised premiums and if you had the misfortune of 3 bad years by no fault of your own you get penalized on top. Kicking someone in the balls when your down plus pay those penalties not only one year but years after.
                    Crop
                    Insurance has turned into a money grab for our government.

Cattlemen have risk of price for sure but if it snows or rains or freezes the cow is still the cow.

Comment

Big Wheel you sound like SF3 - losing 33 crops in 10 years lol.

Comment

Lol grass. I don’t think there is a perfect program short of the public picking up the tab every time u have a failure to no fault of your own. In short self insure.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                          Really great program? With this extreme weather if your in a cycle where you lost 3 3 crops like some people out of 10 your at 70% times that by 80% you are insuring 56% of what you can grow. On top of that our sask party has raised premiums and if you had the misfortune of 3 bad years by no fault of your own you get penalized on top. Kicking someone in the balls when your down plus pay those penalties not only one year but years after.
                          Crop
                          Insurance has turned into a money grab for our government.

Cattlemen have risk of price for sure but if it snows or rains or freezes the cow is still the cow.
                          I don’t know how Saskatchewan works but afsc uses 15 years of records to determine your average so a few excellent or a few crummy years won’t destroy your average. If you keep having claims every year should your premium stay flat or go up to reflect the fact you have greater risk for whatever reason.

You’re right if it snows or rains we still have the cows (provided they don’t die since only the coyotes win in that case) and they still eat every day. And if it doesn’t rain and there’s no grass they still eat every day. We always try to have two years of feed on hand and all our cereals have smooth awns or awnless so the cattle can graze them like they are doing after the pasture runs out early like this year.

I think insurance has many flaws but if it works for me I’ll use it. I don’t insure our hay as it limits our flexibility and I don’t like how production is calculated and it isn’t worth it in my eyes. We’ve had quite a few years of no payment (which is a good thing) and last year annual crop covered our grade and production losses very fairly and this year will likely be the same in addition to pasture due to dryness. The pasture insurance will only pay out a fraction of what the lost forage value is but it’s better than nothing.

Never want to use insurance but it allows me to sleep at night and that’s worth a lot. Good luck to all those with crop out and just know you’re not alone. 🍀

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.