• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conventional Canolas 'Round the World

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conventional Canolas 'Round the World

The myth that you need "GMO" canola to produce high yields.

Hybrid does not mean GMO.

In Europe, FSU, South America they continually push yields past our own with "conventional" non-gmo Oilseed ****...

Seed costs are lower also compared to here. (Though not by that much).

Unless you seed your own... pay a 9GBPish royalty and put some seed treatment on, and go.

Interestingly, check out Farming Forum (UK Agriville https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/osr-yields-so-far.237808/ https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/osr-yields-so-far.237808/ ) They are talking about drought and heat (which we know Europe had) and OSR (Oilseed ****) is still yielding over a MT/acre...

So, what have we gained here as the homeland of canola?

Kinda makes you scratch your head.

Quite simply we have been brainwashed! We are slaves to the industry and are fools for buying the expensive seed.

Comment

Can't compare our yields to other places without correcting for climate. Our crops are rushed in terms of maturity. I imagine we'd get bigger yields too if we could magically extend our growing season to be able to grow later and later varieties.

Comment

Gmo is not about yield in canola Klause, its about weed control. Liberty is a fair bit better than muster gold and assure.

Comment

Klause, what are the morally and intellectually superior south american and european farmers spraying on their conventional hybrid ****seed/canola?

Comment

Originally posted by Marusko View Post
            Can't compare our yields to other places without correcting for climate. Our crops are rushed in terms of maturity. I imagine we'd get bigger yields too if we could magically extend our growing season to be able to grow later and later varieties.
            Exactly. How many are winter varieties? If it’s like winter wheat yield potential and fertilizer use efficiency more than a spring plant. It’s almost like comparing Nellores in Brazil to Simmentals in Canada. Though they’re cows that’s where similarities end. Total different conditions, diseases, climate, and growth period. Fine enough to glean info that might help. I wouldn’t go any farther though and say everything is shit here. What is shit though is agribusiness has us by the shorthairs cause govt gave away public breeding to the wolves.

Comment

Pioneer 45h76 , non gmo clearfield canola has been highest yielder on our farm 4 years in a row . Cheapest seed by far. Excellent weed control with half rate pursuit . I know , group 2 problems . Just sayin...

Comment

is Cibus non gmo?

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                  Gmo is not about yield in canola Klause, its about weed control. Liberty is a fair bit better than muster gold and assure.
                  Umm...There's a lot more out there for canola than those two... and might I remind you that in the Liberty system you rely on Assure and Select (both group ones) for grass control.

I'm not sure why you're always attacking me for posting different world views on here... Is it better to live with your head in the sand or have an understanding of what our true competitors (farmers in other parts of the world) do...

We're so busy competing with each other we don't see the bigger picture sometimes, imho.

Dow has a new chemical for broadleaf control in OSR:
                  http://arylex.eu/oilseed-****-herbicide-solutions/ http://arylex.eu/oilseed-****-herbicide-solutions/

Crawler from Adama (Carbetamide) - grass control
                  Galera from Dow (clopyralid and picloram) - broadleaf control including cleavers and thistles.
                  Eclipse in Europe is known as DowShield - does the same as here.
                  Butisan S, Novall, Shadow, Springbok, Sultan 50SC - Trade names for metazachlor pre/post emergent (grasses, sow thistle, shepherd's purse)
                  Kerb Flo, Flomide - trade names for Propyzamide - grasses, small cleavers and weird flowers we don't have here.
                  Katamaran Turbo - metazachlor & dimethenamid-p broad spectrum
                  Katamaran - metazachlor & quinmerac - broad spectrum

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    Exactly. How many are winter varieties? If it’s like winter wheat yield potential and fertilizer use efficiency more than a spring plant. It’s almost like comparing Nellores in Brazil to Simmentals in Canada. Though they’re cows that’s where similarities end. Total different conditions, diseases, climate, and growth period. Fine enough to glean info that might help. I wouldn’t go any farther though and say everything is shit here. What is shit though is agribusiness has us by the shorthairs cause govt gave away public breeding to the wolves.
                    I'm comparing apples to apples.

Europe grows a lot of spring OSR... And What I'm comparing is spring OSR to spring canola.

Winter **** in Europe routinely yields 30-40% more than spring seeded.

Spring seeded, conditions in southern AB and Red River Valley of Manitoba are very similar... Seed end of april / beginning of May, Harvest end of August/ September...

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      I wouldn’t go any farther though and say everything is shit here. What is shit though is agribusiness has us by the shorthairs cause govt gave away public breeding to the wolves.
                      BINGO!!!!

What I'm saying is we're paying a premium, for not a premium product, get told it's the best in the world, get charged prices commensurate with being the best in the world and completely live and the mercy of three chemical giants.

In Europe, Bayer, Dow, and BASF don't even sell seed!!! Here, we have no other options anymore.

That's what I'm trying to get at.

Comment

klause there is a simple time proven way to get out from the thumbs of these companies you hate and have a full premium for your product. Put your land into 1/3rd chemfallow or green cover, grow a pulse and a cereal, stop buying nutrients and drop your chem use to basically nil. Worked for many yrs.

And dont fall for that BS that cultivation kills microbes line or there always has to be something growing on the land.

Comment

I have to agree on the lack of competition in agribiz. These massive mergers in recent years do not benefit the farmers.

Comment

Yes we do need more competition on the seed end. American farmers can also choose from public varieties. Non GMO canola would not go far around here due to the weed competition I am afraid. One thing that I want to try around here is to grow a green manure crop for N and then have a sludge application which is available around here for P K and S ahead of a canola crop.

Comment

Some roundup ready canola varieties should be off patent by now....seems odd that a farmer can't buy cheaper seed that still has a profit for all involved....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.