• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying it Forward: Lost in the New Generation of Farmers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little something I've been working on.

Why helping the community and each other is more important now than ever before.

The commodity run up that started in 2008 was unprecedented, analysts called it part of a commodity super cycle – it increased the bottom line of nearly every grain farm in Western Canada to record highs. It caused an entire generation to rethink their plans and start into agriculture, wether that was staying at home and helping (eventually taking over) their parents’ operation, or venturing out and starting their own agribusiness. It bred a new generation of hard working pull-myself-up-by-my-bootstrap men and women that experienced a full decade of good prices, good yields, correspondingly high returns and relatively “easy” times. As that cycle ends, and we return to historically normal [low] returns, something is missing in this new generation of producers, and that is understanding the value of a good neighbour and a supportive community.

We hear so much about mental health in agriculture today; stress, self-doubt, and depression can be caused by many things on a farm, wether it be financial, weather, or family related. In the younger generation, many have until now only experienced the “good” times of the past decade and today’s commodity pricing and weather reality is a rude awakening. It is time to sit back and re-evaluate what is most important in life, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t farming that extra quarter, or upgrading that tractor, or growing an extra 5 bushels an acre – while those are admirable goals, one of the most important is something we’ve [partially] lost from our forefathers – creating and nurturing friendships, good neighbourhood relations, and a strong sense of community in our industry.

Rural communities are getting smaller. In the latest 2016 Census, Canada only has 193,492 farms; down nearly 6% from the last 2011 census. On top of that, today, only roughly 9% of that total is under the age of 40; in 1991 that share was nearly 30%. Adding to that startling trend, young producers today are generally covering larger acreages and have higher workloads (fairly often including an off-farm job). With so much to do, and the same 24 hours per day to do it in, social structures, neighbourly interaction, and community get togethers suffer as we simply “don’t have time for that”.

Generations past had barn raising bees, helped each other break land, bartered goods and services to help each other out, and in general worked together for a common goal – a strong community. We hear heart warming stories, like producers shipping hay across the country to drought or fire ravaged regions, show our inherent willingness to help and the compassion of the human condition. However, those causes are extremely severe and we need to bring that compassion and willingness to help down to the local level.

Today, most of us in the under 40 category have expertise – we usually have post secondary education, be it a trade, or an ag degree, or what have you; this equips us to be more valuable to each other than any generation before. At the same time, we’re more stressed, and deal with more mental issues than generations past. We need to step back from our own troubles for a moment and think about the [local] greater good.

As an example, if a neighbour is out silaging and short of drivers, go help him for a few days. Likely, he doesn’t have much to combine, and later on will return the favor and give you a hand during harvest. Maybe you’ve got that neighbour that works a 14/7 or a 20/10 shift – offer to keep an eye on his fields while he’s at work; maybe schedules work out that he can do the same while you’re at work or on a much needed holiday. Harvest is a busy time, is it quicker and more efficient to maybe have two combines, a truck, and a grain cart go from field to field, than having one guy try to harvest by himself on each farm? If your neighbour gets stuck, and you’re a mile away… unhook your tractor, pop over, and pull him out – it’ll probably be a lot quicker, and surely a lot safer than him heading home and grabbing another one of his. Who knows, you might be stuck tomorrow and need the same help.

Maybe you’re a welder by trade, and that fella down the road broke his air drill in half. He’s an agronomist… or a plumber… or an electrician… and you’ll need some help in his area of expertise in the future. If nothing else, another set of hands when you need to pull the rotor in your combine.

Simply offering a lending hand, or checking in and letting them know you care can make someone’s day or save a life. You don’t know if that neighbour was having dark thoughts. Giving a neighbour a ride back to his yard, or a different field to grab a piece of equipment – little things like this have a huge impact in building a flourishing neighbourhood, a sense of community, and a support network. In tough times, like those we beginning to experience now, that is far more important than just our perceived personal success.

Today, take a moment to think about the greater good, in our neighbourhood, our community, and our industry. Let’s reach out and make sure those around us know we’re there for them when they need help. Let’s lend a hand to the fellow across the fence so we can all finish our work safely and successfully. Finally, let’s put the common success of our industry and our community above our personal goals, because the former will definitely help you with the latter.

Not disagreeing with all your thoughts other than I’m afraid if you or other young farmers think these are hard times then I’m sorry you have a ways to go yet to experience that.

Comment

Boy the ship has totally sailed on this kind of rural community and is never coming back. Only competitors in farm country today not neighbors. The only way this can work is if your neighbor is just as broke as you are otherwise turf protection will always be job one. Not a new phenomena. It is if others need you and you need others will their be interaction. Another thing is all players have to have relatively similar socio economic status for there to be any interaction at all. The last decade of prosperity was all a fake boom as governments around the world printed money 24/7 and that is always good for a capital intensive industry like farming. Getting capital was not an obstacle to expansion and self sufficiency when cheap debt available. The second half of the seventies and the 1920s also had similar conditions followed by a depression in both cases. So government has permanently killed rural community by making cheap debt available. Isolation is the major cause of depression and so you will hear more about it in the future as rural western Canuckistan is one of the most isolated places on earth.

Comment

The young farmers here have publicly stated they will own more every year and are more than happy to see a guy fail.....they only help if there is something in it for themselves. ....

Comment

Well it sounds warm and fuzzy and makes you feel good, but I don’t think it is realistic. If everyone was a hobby farm, sure you can borrow, lend a hand, expect a hand, etc because this is a hobby and that is what hobbyists do.

But, this is not a hobby for most, it is high stakes business with high risk ($$). I think it is unreasonable that anyone will be there to ‘help’, if they are not already paid employees, or family. Nor would I expect to stop what I am doing and go help a neighbor. It is a business.

I think everyone should be friendly with their neighbours and social time is all well and great, and good fences make good neighbours, but to expect that they will be there when it is time to work is not realistic.

Comment

Great thoughts. I wish I had neighbors like you. I am old enough to know what those days were like. Specific things like cattle hauling to pasture day, beef butcher day, you disc my sloughs, I will bale your greenfeed. What I find here, is that every farmer is so very self sufficient. I seriously have nothing to offer most of my neighbors, other than to watch their place when they go on their winter holiday etc. And most farmers here now have no animals, huge machinery, and honestly have no issues getting things done on time.

I wish and dream for those days, it is who I am. Maybe it is because I DO have needs that I wish I could get help with. The mental health thing is true too. To pop in for visits is a nice thought, and I wish it would happen more.

I find it hard to relate to most around me though, because honestly, they don’t seem to struggle, every one of my immediate neighbors is wealthy, has all they need, and do not know what it is like to have struggles, at least financially. The only thing we have in common, is that we farm.

Even the guys in the same class as each other, don’t really visit or help each other, because they as mentioned, are fiercely competing with each other for more land, for brahging rights on being the first to have so and so machine, etc. Got seed from a neighbor this spring. Two seed growers living nearby. Knew nothing about each other, other than they fight for the next quarter of land.

The biggest problem, is finding enough guys in a small enough area to see eye to eye and feel the same way. Otherwise I am all for it.

I simply do not see it happening in this area, guys just don’t need each other any more...

I sure do long for those days. Maybe a guy could put an ad in the paper. “Pig butchering day on the smith farm at 7 am on wed. October ninth. All neighbors welcome.”

I dunno? Most around here would just find butchering a pig completely uninteresting, pointless, and a waste of time they could spend at the lake on the boat, at the curling rink, or what have you. One other thing. Non work times are now so filled with kids sports, holidays, trips to the city etc., that there is precious little time to be neighbourly. Sad but true.
            Last edited by Sheepwheat; Sep 16, 2018, 19:48.

Comment

While I try to live up to that ideal, I realize it is a dying or dead reality for most. Nearly all farmers nowadays want to keep up with town folk and have their annual or semi-annual vacations, big houses, fancy cars/trucks. Lots of cattle guys that go for 2 weeks or better at a time, hire a local kid to look after cows. Grain guys go for months. Fight tooth and nail to make more to be ahead of everyone else. Slit throats at every turn to get ahead. Some do it for status and some do it because their success is ordained by God or they are they are the chosen people (see that mindset alot in the Dutch and Germans) 50 years ago, driving 50 miles to major town was a big deal, maybe happen once every couple months. Some people make that trip nowadays everyday. No one wants to stay at home, let alone know their neighbors.

Comment

I must really be an a-hole. 100% of the time I would choose spending time with my family and elementary aged kids, whether it be on a holiday or not, than choose to spend time with my neighbours.

To be pissed off because your neighbours take holidays, that is a new one to me, I can’t even comprehend that.

Comment

Good enough piece Klause - but isn't it true of western society as a whole and not just farmers/farm communities?

Comment

Western Canada has a unique cultural heritage of helping the neighbor, I believe it truly is unique in the world. It developed out of necessity, in a harsh land where most came with very little new comers worked together to build communities, survive winters, get through the seasons, this has diminished due to prosperity and self sufficiency, and in part to a message that has been sent to us by government this is a business, not a life style. We value the business.

I have had the pleasure to have a little exposure to the cattle industry which still has a camaraderie, coming together at key times, like branding or rounds ups to help one another, it is exchange.

In crops, it is more so a competitive business.

Comment

I think I’m a friendly guy and I go out of my way to help out neighbours cause when you have cows you keep on good terms cause those bastards will get out so keep everyone happy. My neighbours treat me well and I try to return the favour. Often I can never come close to what some have done for me but I keep this in mind when helping someone else out. I make it a point to chat with neighbours and keep tabs on what’s going on. Kids say I talk too much but you need to keep some sort of rapor. I realize some areas are different. Some places your neighbour even a relation would cut your throat for a quarter or even sue you if cows got on their grass.

Comment

It is easy to chime in and say it never happens any more but after thinking about it for a few minutes I can think of more than a few of these type of situations.

Maybe you reap what you sow?

Curling is dead for socializing but the Hockey rink is alive and well but probably further afield.

If you have kids, grand kids, nephews, neighbors kids, whatever, the rink is still a great place to see old friends even if they come from across the province.

Hockey is small world. It always surprises me how you keep meeting the same people over the years no matter what rink your in.

Comment

The more I read this forum, the more I am glad to live in the neighborhood I do. Perhaps the way we treat our neighbors has a lot more to do with it than the neighbors themselves? Regardless,it seems that we still live in the good old days here compared to the rest of you.

I think it also has a lot to do with having livestock, because, everyone's will inevitably get out, and everyone will eventually need help with them.

As far as I know, I could call any of my neighbors right now at 11:00 pm on Sunday night in miserable weather and they would be here to help immediately, and vice versa also.

Hard to even keep track of who owes who a favour, try to stay on the owed end, rather than the owed.

I take the initiative to plow neighbors driveways in winter, offer use of equipment, hunting rights free reign for hiking, skiing, ATVing, collect firewood etc. Goes a long ways.
                          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Sep 16, 2018, 23:08.

Comment

Had 2 baler breakdowns this summer, both days neighbour came and finished the fields for me. I have and will repay the favour as needed. A relationship like that is priceless. Have other neighbours that keep to themselves and don't know at all.

Life in general is too busy, have recently discussed with my wife how our kids like most these days are lacking in people skills. We are making an effort to socialize more as a family with others so they learn how to interact better.

Couple years ago had a landlord shopping my rent around called 2 bigger guys, one made a higher offer I had to match, the other called me to see what's going on and then bowed out of it when he found out I still wanted the land. I have huge respect for this guy now, the other not so much.

Sharing equipment is difficult in many ways but our industry is too asset heavy, why not lighten the load. So many machines we all have and need for a day or two a year. If you can work together on some things why not?

Comment

Sorry klause, the the 80s changed farming for good. Your quaint vision of farming utopia was lost a generation ago when farms and families consolidated after bad financial times, low prices and a string of terrible weather. This was lost long ago.

And the message to anyone still farming by the time the early 90s came around was dont count on any support at all. You want to farm, then get big, cut costs or diversify or get out.

I still remember all the failed elk and emu ventures back then.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...