• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it cost to dry wheat from 18 to 14 this year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it cost to dry wheat from 18 to 14 this year?

Have lots of harvest left to do. Get little showers every day and even though the ground is dry the wheat wont dry below 18. Looks like more to come in the forecast. I only have used aeration in the past and it is getting past the time of year where it works well. Thinking of buying a cheap used grain dryer to get my feet wet and see if I like it. What are propane and electric costs to dry 4 points off of wheat? Thinking it would be like 20 cents per bushel, but would like real world numbers please.

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
    Have lots of harvest left to do. Get little showers every day and even though the ground is dry the wheat wont dry below 18. Looks like more to come in the forecast. I only have used aeration in the past and it is getting past the time of year where it works well. Thinking of buying a cheap used grain dryer to get my feet wet and see if I like it. What are propane and electric costs to dry 4 points off of wheat? Thinking it would be like 20 cents per bushel, but would like real world numbers please.
    I can't answer your exact question, because I don't recall the exact numbers, but we went with a Herman Nelson heater along with aeration, bought in fall of 2016. At that time, per BTU, propane was half the cost of diesel, and nat gas was half the cost of propane. And all three options were cheaper than leaving it in the field.

Comment

Propane is going up every week. Last week 41 cents per litre this week 46. Dried wheat with propane last week from 16.5 -14.5....propane cost $0.06 per bushel plus $0.01 for power...so $0.035 per bushel per point....if you have natural gas the cost is half. That’s my real world experience. I agree it’s cheaper than leaving it in the field...however it is only Sept 15th and the big burning orange ball is way quicker and cheaper to dry when it decides to show up.
      Last edited by Crestliner; Sep 15, 2018, 11:16.

Comment

cost you 17 -18 cents to bring wheat down 4 points. it depends on rh of air as well as temperature. if its 18, combine it and put it on air now. invest in some temperature probes for bins. sell tough in winter or dry in late april. or buy the batch drier and dry it in November. We dry every year. every farmer in central and north should have a drier and air. do not use hopper bins. use flat bottom bins to store tough, even with air.

I sold spring theshed for 50 cents more than I sold fall harvested and dried in spring of '17. This year there will be lots of garbage coming off the fields now so feed price will be interesting.

Comment

I would not recommend storing grain that is 19% or wetter though. sticks to walls in the winter. people can die

Comment

Havent checked for a while , but everytime i do i wonder if the meter works right ? This is an old super bee w/o **** screens . A real gas miser . Have dried about 35000 bu cereals this fall and i would be surprised if we used $700 worth of ng . Usually 3-4 cents a bu on what your talking . Dried 4500 bu flax from 14.5 to 8.5 a couple yrs back for a friend . Was cold and snowing . Told him i would do it for price of gas and power . Read the gas meter and used $145 for gas , estimated power at $250 . Dryer is worth about $10k at an auction. I wouldnt buy anything but superbee . There is a wealth of knowledge and parts at the dealer in foam lake . Very helpful and obliging ! Most things can be troubleshooted over the phone
            Last edited by Guest; Sep 15, 2018, 13:23.

Comment

I paid 71.25 cents/liter for my last delivery of propane.
              We are new at this. Seem to get “moisture”” rebound” at times. Moisture goes up a little after coming out of the dryer.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefargo View Post
                I paid 71.25 cents/liter for my last delivery of propane.
                We are new at this. Seem to get “moisture”” rebound” at times. Moisture goes up a little after coming out of the dryer.
                yes that is quite common , we make sure we are at least a point under, tougher the grain the more it bounces , haven't had any bounce when harvested 18 or under . we are drying 24 mt wheat right now and it is 13.5 mt on electronic and 13 on 919 , that 919 reading will come up for sure
                interesting , the local elevator has an electronic (25k) tester and it gives true moisture because it measures entire kernel , 919 only measures outside of kernel
                also if you aren't cooling much in dryer and use air in dry bin you will gain some while cooling , cooling in pail doesn't give same result
                we are highly experienced in grain drying , harvesting in the mud and water , ruts, etc., lol

Comment

What would elev deduct for 18% moisture?

Comment

question for blue Fargo and crest liner ;
                    that is a big spread in propane price/liter !!!!!!!???, 46 cents to 72 cents , is that a province thing , or just someone having their way with someone !
                    I think crest liner is Alberta ?

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
                      Tried to follow charges on CGC website but almost impossible

https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/statistics-statistiques/tariff-tarif/letm-mtsa-eng.htm

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        question for blue Fargo and crest liner ;
                        that is a big spread in propane price/liter !!!!!!!???, 46 cents to 72 cents , is that a province thing , or just someone having their way with someone !
                        I think crest liner is Alberta ?
                        Big spread yikes...You got that right! Central Sask is where I am. Heritage Propane Humboldt...I know that Superior can get pretty crazy price....maybe it’s made a big jump since Wednesday last week.

Elevator would deduct $16/MT and $1.50 per point,plus try to double shrink you if you are not looking. Total loss would be $0.60-70 per bushel....that’s why new grain dryers are $100K plus...have to pay one way or another.
                        Last edited by Crestliner; Sep 16, 2018, 13:22.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
                          From my experience there is two separate charges.

-Drying charge
                          -Shrinkage allowance charge

Even if it’s “paper blended” the second charge is usually there. Best to dry on farm if you’re set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post
                            Big spread yikes...You got that right! Central Sask is where I am. Heritage Propane Humboldt...I know that Superior can get pretty crazy price....maybe it’s made a big jump since Wednesday last week.

Elevator would deduct $16/MT and $1.50 per point,plus try to double shrink you if you are not looking. Total loss would be $0.60-70 per bushel....that’s why new grain dryers are $100K plus...have to pay one way or another.
                            sorry , don't know why i thought you were alberta?

Comment

I got two bags off they are now done there time in the dryer and dry from 18 to be sold as dry. Yes its September but it’s Canada and our climate sucks. Two bags are worth almost $200000 I think a dryer is worth every penny. Hit the half way mark. I’m the Second generation to use and own a grain dryers. New are so quiet and efficient like a furnace.

Moisture we got did go down about two inches if we get about 5.5 more before freeze up and we’re happy campers. Snow can stay away.
                              Last edited by SASKFARMER3; Sep 16, 2018, 16:28.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...