• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swathing pod shatter canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swathing pod shatter canola

My stand this year was pretty shitty and I am debating on swathing vs straight cutting.
    I have Pioneer R-Ready 45CM36 harvest max and invigor 233P. The invigor caught showers and is even and looks good but the staging on the 45CM36 is horrible as it emerged for 3 weeks through dry ground.
    How shatter resistant is the pioneer? My rep said its designed to swath at up to 90% but I'm nervous. Its a thin stand not knitted much so it will really move in the wind.
    Just wondering how to stage this for swathing or will the mature areas hold on to the seed long enough for the rest to ripen and hit it with HEAT or reglone and straight cut? (Guessing 10-14 days difference across field)
    Anybody have real world experience with this situation?

Take it to over 90 it will hold but not as good as the liberty.

We swath at over 90% colour change on strait varieties with awsome results.

It’s a tool

Comment

Had pioneer and non pod shatter and invigors last year, lighter, uneven stands. Straight cut all of it, had some terrible winds, and canola wasn't laid down and tangled as much as usual, pioneer hardly shattered at all, Invigor was heartbreaking.
      Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Aug 18, 2018, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        Had pioneer and non pod shatter and invigors last year, lighter, uneven stands. Straight cut all of it, had some terrible winds, and canola wasn't laid down and tangled as much as usual, pioneer hardly shattered at all, Invigor was heartbreaking.
        Was that pod shatter invigor that was bad??

Comment

I think its important to note color change means even a spec of brown on an otherwise green seed.

Comment

Not sure I would leave the Pioneer variety that long. We seen awful shatter compared to the Invigor. That being said if it is that uneven why wouldn’t u leave it and straight cut it. Spray with heat and good to go in 3 weeks. My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
              Not sure I would leave the Pioneer variety that long. We seen awful shatter compared to the Invigor. That being said if it is that uneven why wouldn’t u leave it and straight cut it. Spray with heat and good to go in 3 weeks. My 2 cents
              In my experience on invigor canola is that roundup takes 2 weeks till canola can be harvested and roundup and heat takes 14 days.

Plain heat takes 3 weeks and no spray at all takes 3 weeks. Don’t waste your time and expense spraying heat has been my experience on canola. It works good on peas.

Comment

Originally posted by quadtrac View Post
                Was that pod shatter invigor that was bad??
                No, L230, that was the first( and likely last) year I grew it. It was supposed to replace our perennial favourite, L120. L120 was virtually shatter proof for us, because it grew so tall, fell over and tangled up, so the wind couldn't touch it. The L230 has improved standability and swathability, so it is shorter and had a a stronger stalk. Great for swathing, not for straight cutting.

After last years experience, Still growing the same Pioneer varieties(not rated as pod shatter officially, but they are in my book), and L233P Invigor. Also giving Dekalb another chance with the 75-65 straight cut variety.

My advice, is I wouldn't be afraid to leave the Pioneer standing. But in my case, snow on swaths is my biggest fear, not wind, Ronski's conditions are somewhat better than mine in that way. I had 4 different pioneer varieties last year, none were any worse than the rest for shatter.

Comment

After tonight's frost might not have to worry about it. If it goes down further than the prediction like it did last night it will
                  Be over for acres and acres. Sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    No, L230, that was the first( and likely last) year I grew it. It was supposed to replace our perennial favourite, L120. L120 was virtually shatter proof for us, because it grew so tall, fell over and tangled up, so the wind couldn't touch it. The L230 has improved standability and swathability, so it is shorter and had a a stronger stalk. Great for swathing, not for straight cutting.

After last years experience, Still growing the same Pioneer varieties(not rated as pod shatter officially, but they are in my book), and L233P Invigor. Also giving Dekalb another chance with the 75-65 straight cut variety.

My advice, is I wouldn't be afraid to leave the Pioneer standing. But in my case, snow on swaths is my biggest fear, not wind, Ronski's conditions are somewhat better than mine in that way. I had 4 different pioneer varieties last year, none were any worse than the rest for shatter.

Ok thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      After tonight's frost might not have to worry about it. If it goes down further than the prediction like it did last night it will
                      Be over for acres and acres. Sorry to say.
                      I recall a time we had some canola freeze on us in its late stages of maturity...kinda just before it needed to be swathed...it was like the frost desiccated it. It kinda turned white-ish yellow and seemed to shatter easy...before the days of shatter resistant varieties.

Had to get it down.

Comment

I don't have personal experience with any of the wannabe "P" varieties, just Invigor.
                        Last year I swathed a field of L140P when it was at 100% color change. I actually didn't intend to let it get that far but you know how it can go quick when your busy. I started swathing early on a day forecast to get up to 30, I stopped a few times to check for shattering and eventually just kept going. Almost zero shatter, even along the divider.
                        This year, the plan is to straight cut all the canola.
                        Anecdotally, I know a guy that grew the wannabe RR variety last year......total disaster. Pods didn't shatter too bad but half of them fell on the ground. He's growing all Invigor P this year.

Comment

I'm torn between letting it ripen standing to let the green stuff mature and fear of shattering in the wind. Although with 1-3 plants per foot if I swath there won't be much stubble to anchor it.
                          If I spray with Heat will the pods stop filling quickly like reglone or get more days of maturing as effects start to show?
                          Thanks for all input on this

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.