• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Solar and Wind generation reduced electricity costs in Alberta?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    In other sunnier drier locations around the world the actual generation will be higher.
    Solar should most definitely have higher generation and therefore be far more profitable and viable in sunnier dryer locations of the world. Such as, for example, the northern territory of Australia.
    Where the 35 billion solar farm has already declared bankruptcy.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jan 11, 2023, 16:30.

Comment

If Sask had gone to primarily renewable energy as the climate cult wants, yesterday you would have been dead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	saskp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	774386

Comment

What about production on the other 364 days? Everybody dead too?

Did anybody say we could use only renewables anytime soon?

Get a brain before you freeze in the dark and die! LOL

Comment

It's been Cloudy and Foggy for 10 days in a row dipshit.
          Get out of your basement and look outside.

Comment

Yes, you and Greta and Clown Gore. How are those ice caps looking. I thought my kids would never see snow again. Statue of Liberty under water yet.

Full on clown show, but dont worry, we are putting you whacko marxists back in the box where you came from.

Originally posted by Partners View Post
            It's been Cloudy and Foggy for 10 days in a row dipshit.
            Get out of your basement and look outside.
            Actually cloudy with hoar frost for over a month. In the last week the winds stalled out.

Comment

What about production on the other 364 days? Everybody dead too?

Get a brain before you freeze in the dark and die! LOL
              If I deprive you of oxygen for only 5 minutes today, then give you free access the rest of the day, and for the other 365 days of the year, you would be fine with that?

That is how it works when we live in a place where we get winter, and rely on energy to survive.
              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jan 19, 2023, 13:21.

Comment

It looks/sounds like that has already happened...

Comment

Every December this topic gets brought up, and Chuck rightfully points out that measuring unreliable energy generation on the shortest day of the year is not representative the entire year.
                  So, let's revisit it more than halfway to the longest day of the year. Saw this headline today.
                  Alberta energy grid data shows that wind and solar power production fell sharply to a mere 29 megawatts in the early hours of Monday, or less than 1% of their total energy capacity.
                  Apparently it's not just a December phenomenon.
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Apr 5, 2023, 09:33.

Comment

I hate contributing to this dumpster fire. I hate summoning dark spirits. Local Rez wanted to do a grid tied solar farm. Atco said no more dirty electricity on the grid. Inverters are not all created equal and they do not produce a true 60 cycle sine wave. They mimic it to something acceptable but enough of this type of electricity on the grid messes things up. I’m not against solar or wind especially for individuals with the means to set up their own and use it for themselves. I am just pointing out another problem.

Comment

Yawn.....

Got your 4 legged money makers fed and watered already this am?

You run out of other things to complain about in the land of milk and money? LOL

Yes we all know renewables are intermittent.

What are going to say when hydrogen and ammonia from renewables are storing renewable energy? Its already happening with more being planned.

Not to mention all the EVs that can be charged when the wind is blowing and the sun shinning?

My plug in hybrid is already storing my intermittent solar PV electricity Its charging right now.

No carbon tax on the electricity and super efficient putting 80% of the energy into forward motion vs 20% for the ICE.

Comment

What are going to say when hydrogen and ammonia from renewables are storing renewable energy? Its already happening with more being planned.
                        When hydrogen and ammonia storage are installed at every renewable energy generation site, I will see this is excellent news. Now bacon b designated as dispatchable reliable energy generation sources and can compete on a level playing Field with traditional reliable energy sources. No longer any need for subsidies or preferential treatment, they can fit to provide generation 24 hours a day 365 days a year exactly the same as a fossil fuel plant would do.
                        And as you have been pointing out multiple times, they are so much more cost competitive than fossil fuels, therefore we can all enjoy cheap reliable electricity again.

While I sincerely hope I get the opportunity to say all of those things, I'm not holding my breath.
                        At this point, they remain an uneconomic solution to an unnecessary problem, created to solve a non existent emergency.

Comment

Renewables which can power a more efficient means of ammonia production than the energy intensive Hauber Bosch will go further than anything to reduce energy usage. Beyond agricultural and industrial needs ammonia does not contain enough energy by volume to make it a practical over the road fuel. Stationary uses are probably a better fit. What is the parasitic loss of converting renewable electricity to hydrogen or ammonia then back into electricity versus charging batteries? That is the science I’d like to know. Ammonia as a fertilizer you know what that’ll do but I wonder it as well as hydrogen going through a fuel cell how it converts back. There’s always a cost but if you lose a bit of renewable power it doesn’t really matter I guess.

Comment

Pure delusion. chuck is fully invested in the cause.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aeo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	774837

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                              Pure delusion. chuck is fully invested in the cause.
                              Literally and figuratively.

Pretend that his pie in the sky claims about using ammonia or hydrogen as storage for unreliable energy are actually viable. ( Which may not be the same as being economic).

Then the solar and wind industries will have to face the economic realities of competing with dispatchable generation sources, and this includes backyard grid tied installations such as his supposed panels.
                              If he wants to continue to sell generation to the grid, it will have to be backed up by storage, regardless of economics.

Comment

Well the sun doesn't shine or shine only on Alberta!

There are better places for solar and wind. But in Canada Alberta ranks well for both.

Renewables are already part of the system and are going to grow in importance as the demand for electricity increases.

We already produce enough electricity with our 25 kw solar system to cover our farm needs most years. All carbon tax free.

The system will pay for itself. Imagine if all farms did the same?

They are piloting an on farm solar PV anhydrous system in Manitoba.

But this is the glass half empty crowd on Agrisilly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...