• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola seeding date

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola seeding date

It's early.done the wheat.are guys seeding canola yet?
    Conditions are Good.
    One large farm has over 1200 acres of canola in already..

That's a good question? I will be done everything except canola in a few days and I do remember a few years when seeding canola early really bite hard when it froze bad.

Who would have thought back in early April we would be where we are today.

Comment

It’s going to be the 15th in two days ... it’s not early now foralmost any area

Comment

15th to the 20th here in this little micro climate seems to be the best 90% of the time .
        Before the 10th we get nailed with frost50% of the time
        After the 25 Th fall frost risk jumps .
        But every area different, even 10 mile away spring frost far less

Comment

Ours is in, done yesterday. Felt we needed to take advantage of the moisture thats there to try and get it establisbed. Seeded a bit deeper on one field than we usually do...down about an inch. But that would likely mean anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/4, lol. Now if the damned hot dry winds would stay away.

Lerner sent out a bulliten about a possible freeze at the end of this week. Watching frosted canola recover isn't fun. Time will tell.

Take care and work safe.

Comment

I think 1980 was early spring, turned HOT windy, flea beetles raised hell so most was sprayed late May, June 5 or so hard frost on DRY soil, took 70% of canola. Reseeded SMF 4" deep with a disk press drill to 6 row barley. It was HOT powder, barley up in 3 days anyway. Worst case I guess. Old enough to be fresh in my mind. Heavy straw more risk, black field less.

Comment

We will start with drill two canola on 16 our usual start day -5 on Friday night I’ve been. Told

My version of Gods country

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                We will start with drill two canola on 16 our usual start day -5 on Friday night I’ve been. Told

My version of Gods country
                Exchange the green hood for red and your right lol

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Exchange the green hood for red and your right lol
                  I really dont like green , reminds me of trudeau

Comment

Ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                      Ha ha ha
                      Even your fertilizer is green ? Lol

Comment

I like seeing red , just not Liberals...

Comment

I consider myself green though ..
                          yes I just went around a goose nest in the middle of a field

Comment

So what are you folks seeing for soil temps? Field we grew corn in last year and grazed over winter has a great litter cover on it really preserving moisture compared to the other fields. I measured it today and reckoned it to be 4.5C at 2" mid afternoon.

We also had a lot of alfalfa killed by frost last week.

Comment

SF3 would never destroy a goose nest. He takes the eggs home to an incubator and raises them himself...then releases them and they follow him south in the winter...a true environmentalist!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...