• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feels good to be done. Now the hard part, to market this crop

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    they're open lots here if they need it, not so much if they don't
    they sure as hell need it this year
    Farmers same way in a way if we need cash it’s gotta go get sold. Interest rates and bad credit destroy farms.
    The 35 bushel average canola which I think I is high estimate you ve got some areas where 59 to 60 were realized which means there also has to be a lot of 15 to 20 bushel areas. And that’s a big problem when the stability program is complete garbage.

Comment

mallee, on our place we store all and do not presell. If we need immediate cash flow, there is a govt advance program we use, or its some canola that gets moved after harvest to reduce storage risk.

Canadians are very touchy about where they store a crop. They would never let it sit in some bunker somewhere. We learned those lessons when the CWB had us all by the nuts. Now its farmer controlled as far as we can take it.

We also have to be aware of the impending winter. Nobody likes cleaning out bins in -40 weather and 4 ft of snow and thats most of january and feb around here and we all want to be in Florida at that time.

We can sell to the US but right now its limited. Mostly cereals going down there.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        mallee, on our place we store all and do not presell. If we need immediate cash flow, there is a govt advance program we use, or its some canola that gets moved after harvest to reduce storage risk.

Canadians are very touchy about where they store a crop. They would never let it sit in some bunker somewhere. We learned those lessons when the CWB had us all by the nuts. Now its farmer controlled as far as we can take it.

We also have to be aware of the impending winter. Nobody likes cleaning out bins in -40 weather and 4 ft of snow and thats most of january and feb around here and we all want to be in Florida at that time.

We can sell to the US but right now its limited. Mostly cereals going down there.
        Farmers don’t control anything. They take it when they want it.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
          Farmers don’t control anything. They take it when they want it.
          My thoughts exactly and the fact people think they control anything by building storage for the graincos is incredibly stupid.....you have just added risk and cost to your farm ...when you have finished harvest why add additional cost whether it be a bag or bin to your farm...

The fact that graincos want to throttle or orifice the grain movement in this country at farmers expense is bewildering at best....I just do not understand...

Why don't the graincos build the storage to move their capacity rating of an elevator spot to once a year and see how it works out for them...
          Last edited by bucket; Sep 20, 2020, 08:40.

Comment

Store it all here too. Rarely pre price a bit. Farmers have zero control. Your grain goes when the buyer says so. This lack of control, and having had to wait many months on several occasions to cash out on contracted grain, is a huge part of me changing my farm to sheep. Not having any control whatsoever on when the buyer will finally say yes, is just so ridiculous, yet we farmers think somehow we are “marketing” our grain. We aren’t marketing our grain, we are accepting the “best” price that the buyers offer at the time. Zero control.

We are in a high pig barn region. It often makes more sense to grow feed grains for them, no dockage, no shrink, a bit of a moisture break, competetive prices, no grading factor nightmares. Lol so lots of guys here just grow high yielding feed varieties rather than try to get grain to grade good in this wet zone, of number one wheat near impossibility.

Now, try being a smaller grain farmer in western Canada, especially one that is first generation. The odds are stacked so high against you, and grain “marketing” is no exception. If I have say a hundred tonnes of oats booked in, and my neighbor has two thousand tonnes booked, who do you think they call first? If one doesn’t own a semi to haul his grain, you have to get it custom hauled. Fine, except lately getting a trucker to come get your two or three loads is hard to do even, when he gets bookings for twenty, or fifty loads from the bigger farmers. Who is he going to get all excited about hauling for? Zero control just went to negative ten control. Now the elevator wants your grain, good luck finding a truck to haul for you! Lol

Some guys love grain farming, have done great at it. That is just peachy. But the way things have gone regarding grain farming the last ten years or so, at least personally, has sucked the life out of me and my family. I love the growing, I love the soil, I love the doing of grain farming. I simply have grown to hate the lack of control, the costs, the risk, the multiple bad years in a row, etc.

So we made the move the regain control.

The great news, is that this farm is not on its last generation, because we have figured out ways to make a smaller farm feasible. Kind of hitting two threads with this post.

Sorry for rambling. The way I see it anyway!

Comment

canadian farmers can not compete against the fact that american farmers have received the equivalent of 75 billion canadian dollars since Trump has been in power...

If using equity to compete against it.... good for you...eventually no amount of volume will allow farmers in canada to buy million dollar combines....because the dealers won't be able to handle the risk of the trades....

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                Now, try being a smaller grain farmer in western Canada, especially one that is first generation.
                I am in that boat sheep and I havent seen that experience but it may be my location. We have 5 terminals within a 30 minute haul so there is plenty of choice.

The way to hammer those guys at the terminal is to sell when they are standing around twiddling their thumbs and that time isnt after harvest. We often are hauling the same time we are seeding and spraying. I sold last yrs lentils in July when there were none left in storage.

The best time to market last yrs crop is when the next one is just getting out of the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  I am in that boat sheep and I havent seen that experience but it may be my location. We have 5 terminals within a 30 minute haul so there is plenty of choice.

The way to hammer those guys at the terminal is to sell when they are standing around twiddling their thumbs and that time isnt after harvest. We often are hauling the same time we are seeding and spraying. I sold last yrs lentils in July when there were none left in storage.

The best time to market last yrs crop is when the next one is just getting out of the ground.
                  My local has been twiddling their thumbs for weeks ...sitting plugged and on purpose....to throttle their movement but what they haven't learnt yet is their customers are leaving and that grain won't be back this year.....and maybe not next year either...
                  Last edited by bucket; Sep 20, 2020, 08:59.

Comment

[QUOTE=jazz;466076]mallee, on our place we store all and do not presell. If we need immediate cash flow, there is a govt advance program we use, or its some canola that gets moved after harvest to reduce storage risk.

Govt advance programme must come at a cost?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                      Govt advance programme must come at a cost?
                      Interest free for first $100K, prime rate for the rest up to $1M. Basically free money from the govt for 12months. Crazy not to use it.

Comment

In mine and Dad's case, we can store and "average" crop, which as I have highlighted to many on here, is considered a failure to many... ~84,000 bushels storage. 18,000 of in floor aeration.

Most years I try to find a price point for yellow peas that I like in the end of June, beginning of July based upon about 50% of expected production. We like to keep a minimum of 5000bu of peas for seed and either hold the remainder into next year, or if there is a super b load we sell it after seed is cleaned. If conditions look decent to the same, or expected production increases, then I'll increase that amount to about 75% the middle of July if price has held. It can get a little hectic around harvest as Im trying to harvest, and haul to the elevator, which this year was 120 miles away. We have 7 locations within a 120 mile radius(not counting the one 30 miles from home which as far as I'm concerned doesnt even exist!) Hauling a load of peas every morning, then harvesting during the day makes for very minimal sleep at night, especially when you have a harvest baby...

This is the first year I have stuck my neck out and pre-priced any Durum. I've dealt with the current retailer long enough now to know that they are straight up. Priced a #1CWAD 13.0Px, while it was flowering at best, and for probably 2/3 of expected production. Typically I would store it and start marketing post harvest, but the price was "appealing", and I knew that even if we didn't see another rain, which we didn't, I would be putting grain on the ground.

Traditionally, all CWRS goes into the bin, and marketing starts post-harvest.

Yellow Mustard was grown based on a production contract that said if it graded a #1, the first 15bu would be called before Jan 1, if it graded lower than a #1, it would be called prior to July 1 the following year, which gives me the time necessary to upgrade it if necessary. I had that provision wrote in.

I also grow general purpose AC Pasteur, which is a HRS wheat that in lower moisture years is generally bought as a specialty contract for US and domestic millers if falling numbers and protein are sufficient, and in years of high moisture(rare around here), where protein is low, it ends up in the feed market. Because of the absolute uncertainty of protein content, and falling numbers, this is stored and decisions made post harvest based upon representative samples.

For this area, binning is really the only option. There is only one elevator within 30 miles that has just barely enough storage for a 50 car spot, and hauling at harvest time to the other 7 locations even if they did have bunker storage just isnt an option unless you're willing to hire the hauling out to custom operators.

Even on the best of years, all production comes home to the yard, and when bins are full it starts going on the ground. Roughly 1/4 of the yard is wide open grass meant to park machinery on or store grain if necessary. I generally dump into 25,000-30,000bu piles that fit underneath a plastic silage cover. I have enough 11-24.5 tire casings laying around from years of commerical trucking that I space them about 3 feet apart on the base of the pile and then can open up, haul out, and close again if weather goes to shit while hauling, or the elevator shuts you down.

As a rule, the elevators I deal with are good about taking grain during the contracted time-frame. If they phuck me without REAL GOOD CAUSE, I just go shopping elsewhere. 120+ mile hauls really don't scare me... If you want to haul your own grain, and you dont want to be beholden to the local elevator, you have to get used to pulling long distances. 10 years of running all around western north america with bulkers might make me unique in my willingness to haul long distances, so long as the premium is there...

Anyway, thats the way things look around this operation Mallee.

Comment

Lightning strikes a marketing thread two it stayed on track

Great to see.

Harvest rule of marketing here if it’s over $285 on farm wheat sell its in top 92% of prices feed barley $245 same gig.

Unless it’s a rip snorting drought

Edit harvest moves from west to east here, gotta watch yields in WA our biggest producing state export based as well. Can kinda put a floor in things and domestic then price above to accumulate grain
                          Last edited by malleefarmer; Sep 20, 2020, 17:32.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                            Not asking for financials sell price or top secret info just logistics from harvest to sale. And your selling options
                            We generally try to sell 20-30% off combine
                            Sometimes we will pre price well ahead , times like this year we are pricing as we go .
                            Many reasons for each farm
                            For us we needed to wait to see quality and yield before we dared to pre sell too much . 80% of our farm had hail so too much was unknown before combines got going .
                            Barley was good quality and triode decent coffee the ground it was on. We sold er all to a local P&H for October delivery for Special Select .
                            $4.75 if it made grade , $4.25 in not .
                            Wheat ,we just sold what would not fit in bin , price for #1 , 13.5 pro or better is not nearly enough so 90% is binned . Just have 35 ac left of hailed out wheat that we could not finish this morning before rains set in
                            Canola , we pre sold 10 bus / ac for cash flow , it’s gone plus another 15,000 bus we got a “premium” on as a local elevator had to fill a train ASAP and had no canola in elevator..... and could not find any ..... imagine that
                            The rest will be stored and play the game I guess.
                            If we get a deal that works for us now that we know what we have we will let er go , maybe all of it . That’s the beauty of the free market, if you don’t like the price , wait , take cash advance , sell only what is necessary to cover cash flow and carry on . If we wish to sell er all and price is right there are several elevators in area , someone will take er .
                            Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 21, 2020, 15:19.

Comment

Why would an elevator order cars with no product to fill or even find to fill? Do they do the same with boats then just charge dumurage back to farmers one way or another?

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
                                Why would an elevator order cars with no product to fill or even find to fill? Do they do the same with boats then just charge dumurage back to farmers one way or another?
                                Take that one step further, has the GrainCo even bought the grain to put in those cars and ships yet? How much business is written on speculation the handling company can source(buy) the grain needed at the sold contracted price?

Why won't anyone ever comment on this? Is the question that schtoopit that it doesn't warrant a response?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.