• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellowstone

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellowstone

Caught up on this show past month or so. Its an enjoyable watch with some good acting and plotlines, but this is clearly made by a guy who doesnt understand ranching up north.

A ranch that size has to be running 1000 head I would imagine. Nobody does any haying? The cows just winter in the mountains? No tractors or equipment. All i see is duallys and horse trailers. I see a side by side ATV used once in a while. Couple roping pens around the barns but no sheds or windbreak, I barely see any handling facilities. Have to treat 100 head for pinkeye and you decided to rope and throw every animal instead of chuting them? I have only seen one calf born in the show.

Bunkhouse? a ranch staffed by drifters and criminals who sleep in bunkbeds beside each other? These cowboys rope and ride everyday and come home looking like they just stepped out of the shower. Anybody John or Lloyds age riding all day wouldnt be able to get out of bed the next day.

Maybe this is a throwback to ranching 100 yrs ago where you just take whatever comes out of the mountains alive in the spring, but thats not really reality these days on most places.
    Last edited by jazz; Dec 5, 2021, 10:35.

I saw the title and assumed the big one was about to erupt.

Comment

It’s supposed to be over 500,000 acres so what little bit of work you see being done isn’t likely to pay the bills. The actual ranch it’s filmed at is 2500 acres. You can stay in Rip’s cabin on your next vacation, $1500/night for a 3 night minimum

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
        It’s supposed to be over 500,000 acres so what little bit of work you see being done isn’t likely to pay the bills. The actual ranch it’s filmed at is 2500 acres. You can stay in Rip’s cabin on your next vacation, $1500/night for a 3 night minimum
        does beth come with?

Comment

I agree Jazz, it's not completely believable for those that know better, kinda like pulling the calf in the first season that was already 2 months old and ran away, but for the purpose of the show I dont think most viewers would notice or care. We like the show and love the scenery, may make it to see the actual ranch for fun someday.

Some interesting things about the show you may or may not know:

Beth has a real strong accent in real life
          Kevin Costner actually sings a bunch of the music on the show
          The "Travis" character is actually Taylor Sheridan (director, writer)
          The wrangler with the beard (Jake) was one of the actual cowboys/stuntmen that got worked into the show.
          Sheridan has recently bought the 6666 ranch in the new season.

Comment

coulter wall sings also

Comment

TV works by exaggerating dysfunctional personalities.
              Great one liners.
              All the women following Rip don't care about real ranching
              Wish they'd get the bucket wheel turning the right direction in the opening credits.

Comment

Sheridan is a horse showman not a rancher. I am sure you could care less whether a working horse can slide on its ass or not or do 360 spins.

Cutting is done with corrals and gates and whips not horses. Soon as quads came in the horses became pets on our old ranch. No horse could out work an ATV. On our old ranch the cows were rounded up with pails of oats and a good alfalfa bale.

In one scene Jimmy who has never been on a ranch before is up in the chute preg testing while the vet is hanging out in the medical trailer.

In the 1883 trailer the cattle they are moving are all ear tagged.
                Last edited by jazz; Dec 5, 2021, 13:14.

Comment

You're right but I'm glad they didn't use real bullets in Saving Private Ryan.
                  I admit, I could never watch Dr.Pol. Reminded me of too much hard work for nothing. Can't be too real ha

Comment

Screw all the faulty cow feeding and lack of tractors.

Why is nobody ever mowing the grass?! Tate should be doing that all the time.

Comment

I had never watch it until this fall. Everyone was talking about it and my sister was always asking if I was watching so I decided to watch a few episodes.
                      My first question was. Where are all the cows? Where are the tractors and balers? Are they growing any corn or barley or hay to feed the animals in the winter?
                      Just all seems a little over the top🤷

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        does beth come with?
                        Ha, in the first season, Rip gets busy with Beth in the Dutton home, 2 seconds later she tells him he has a little dick, now they are living together.

Weird dynamic there.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          Ha, in the first season, Rip gets busy with Beth in the Dutton home, 2 seconds later she tells him he has a little dick, now they are living together.

Weird dynamic there.
                          apparently, size doesn't matter

Comment

Most urban types wouldn’t have a clue.

I tried watching it, but my wife and I quit as soon as that extremely fake calving occurred. The whole scene was blasphemy! We just couldn’t take it. If that is the best they can do, it is not worthy of our time.

Lol so we “changed the channel”. We don’t have to stare at things that tick us off. Some on here ought to try that sometime! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              You're right but I'm glad they didn't use real bullets in Saving Private Ryan.
                              Could you imagine? Perhaps wed have a few less people thinking "the resistance" to Trump was equivalent to storming the beaches of Normandy.

In all reality, it's an entertaining show. If it was 100% true to life nobody would want to watch it. Lord knows I'm the only sorry bastard who wants to bear witness to my daily struggles.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.