• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manitoba state of Emergency

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Scheer pledged his support of the supply management payout early and hasn't gained shit in Quebec....Now he has to ask the separatists to back him in a minority government....

Meanwhile Scheer and the conservative candidates ignore what is happening in Western Canadian agriculture...and some are farmers....obviously making more enjoying being Ottawa's whipping boys than doing something for farmers...
    has scheer even mentioned increasing the agristab coverage back to 85% from 70%? yet he supports quebec dairy farmers are their milking of billions of subsidies. Even for the conservatives, its all about kebec and Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      This may rank as one of the worst storms ever to hit Manitoba and North Dakota in terms of damage to crops and infrastructure.

Unfortunately most governments and organizations don't have the immediate resources to deal with a disaster of this magnitude.

Providing financial compensation for this disaster is what will be needed in the long run. Farmers and organizations need to get together and ask for it otherwise it won't likely happen.

Happening before a long weekend is just bad luck and adds to the delay and inaction.

The increasing severity and frequency of weather events is what climate scientists have been saying will happen because of climate change. I am not prepared to call any particular event a result of climate change, but when record severe events frequently happen, then maybe we need to acknowledge the warnings.

And before you jump all over me, climate change includes stalled persistent weather patterns that can include colder than normal temperatures and increased precipitation events. Climate scientists are seeing changes due weakening to jet streams.
      Get a grip, FFS

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
        I see the Gov. has declared a state of emergency due to hydro outages. We've been lucky enough not to have lost power this time. I spent the day hauling feed out to cattle on summer pasture miles from home. Listening to the radio was infuriating - all about how soon the streets in Winnipeg would get cleared and whether they would open a depot to take branches knocked down by the snow. Not a mention of it's affect on agriculture. The dire state crop farmers are now in with harvest and we could have an animal emergency very quickly unless this melts. I got to all my cows but most grazing in this area belong to owners a distance away and with all the roads plugged there is no way to get to them if they wanted to.
        I guess nothing qualifies as an emergency in agriculture nowadays.

Storms like these in April have killed lots of cattle and calves. Good thing the calves are half-grown.

I also remember storms like this on Halloween. We would cancel trick or treating and have halloween in the gym-hall.
        Last edited by sumdumguy; Oct 13, 2019, 10:50. Reason: Wording

Comment

Have seen heavy fall and spring snowstorms similar to this track north over our area of eastern Saskatchewan in past years, a bigger concern now because of late harvest. About three inches of snow on ground now so still a pretty good chance of getting crop off before winter.
          The one time we did have crop out it was wheat in swath and took 80% off in spring with little adverse effect, turned cattle into other 20% because of deer damage, which is no longer an option since we are out of cattle.
          Farm does have good Agristability coverage and province has wildlife damage compensation so things should be better than before these programs.
          Accrual accounting means we have to put a value on unharvested crop at year end and ultimate value will not be known until next year.
          Remember last time putting no value on unharvested crop and it made profit for that year look worse and, eventually, for new year look better.

Comment

Best of luck with that stupid program
            Harper and ritz gutted it

Comment

I guess politicians really do follow Agriville - I had one show up today to take a look around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7765.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	769031

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                I guess politicians really do follow Agriville - I had one show up today to take a look around.

[ATTACH]5120[/ATTACH]
                That poor chryster must wonder whats goin on

Comment

They got it wrong. It should have read, Manitoba province of emergency.

Statehood would be my second choice behind carving out my own state.

Comment

Friends step son lives in Portage La Prairie and was told by Manitoba Hydro that estimated time to power restored will be 7 days for him.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.