• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manitoba state of Emergency

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manitoba state of Emergency

I see the Gov. has declared a state of emergency due to hydro outages. We've been lucky enough not to have lost power this time. I spent the day hauling feed out to cattle on summer pasture miles from home. Listening to the radio was infuriating - all about how soon the streets in Winnipeg would get cleared and whether they would open a depot to take branches knocked down by the snow. Not a mention of it's affect on agriculture. The dire state crop farmers are now in with harvest and we could have an animal emergency very quickly unless this melts. I got to all my cows but most grazing in this area belong to owners a distance away and with all the roads plugged there is no way to get to them if they wanted to.
    I guess nothing qualifies as an emergency in agriculture nowadays.

No grass , were on our own
    Man thats the shits
    Sure feel for you guys
    Hope you get a break soon , sure been a tough year for you folks to go from a full on drought to this shit
    Good luck and i know exactly how it feels , at least the too wet part and early snow
    Leaves one feeling guilty cause were so used to it in these parts
    Dont know how we managed to get the weather we did this fall, deep in the swamp , very strange
    Last edited by caseih; Oct 12, 2019, 19:43.

Comment

Gotta coupla hundred geese in my field now.

Comment

Grass

"I guess nothing qualifies as an emergency in agriculture nowaday"

As a fellow Manitoban this storm has been very tough on all of us.

Agriculture here in the province should be getting some attention as all rural Ag areas that have been effected the worst are represented by Conservative MLA's!

They sure knew all their Farmer constituents a few weeks ago before the provincial election.

Let's hope the Conservative MLA's show the same amount of energy they had while trying to get votes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
          Grass

"I guess nothing qualifies as an emergency in agriculture nowaday"

As a fellow Manitoban this storm has been very tough on all of us.

Agriculture here in the province should be getting some attention as all rural Ag areas that have been effected the worst are represented by Conservative MLA's!

They sure knew all their Farmer constituents a few weeks ago before the provincial election.

Let's hope the Conservative MLA's show the same amount of energy they had while trying to get votes!!!
          They won't. ..

Comment

If they don’t do something right across the board for ag I rhe west provinces they sure don’t deserve our farm or rural vote.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
              If they don’t do something right across the board for ag I rhe west provinces they sure don’t deserve our farm or rural vote.
              There is no federal conservative agriculture policy.....just a few non commitment lines in the platform. ...not enough to have a vote taken for granted....

Vote on blind faith and get nothing....send a real message and vote for someone else....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                There is no federal conservative agriculture policy.....just a few non commitment lines in the platform. ...not enough to have a vote taken for granted....

Vote on blind faith and get nothing....send a real message and vote for someone else....
                As crazy as it would be the best thing is vote liberal or ndp get the conservatives ousted for one term in western Canada we d have to endure the social policies but ag wise would be no different. Then next time around you bet they’d come asking what’s really needed

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                  As crazy as it would be the best thing is vote liberal or ndp get the conservatives ousted for one term in western Canada we d have to endure the social policies but ag wise would be no different. Then next time around you bet they’d come asking what’s really needed
                  Scheer pledged his support of the supply management payout early and hasn't gained shit in Quebec....Now he has to ask the separatists to back him in a minority government....

Meanwhile Scheer and the conservative candidates ignore what is happening in Western Canadian agriculture...and some are farmers....obviously making more enjoying being Ottawa's whipping boys than doing something for farmers...
                  Last edited by bucket; Oct 13, 2019, 07:58.

Comment

This may rank as one of the worst storms ever to hit Manitoba and North Dakota in terms of damage to crops and infrastructure.

Unfortunately most governments and organizations don't have the immediate resources to deal with a disaster of this magnitude.

Providing financial compensation for this disaster is what will be needed in the long run. Farmers and organizations need to get together and ask for it otherwise it won't likely happen.

Happening before a long weekend is just bad luck and adds to the delay and inaction.

The increasing severity and frequency of weather events is what climate scientists have been saying will happen because of climate change. I am not prepared to call any particular event a result of climate change, but when record severe events frequently happen, then maybe we need to acknowledge the warnings.

And before you jump all over me, climate change includes stalled persistent weather patterns that can include colder than normal temperatures and increased precipitation events. Climate scientists are seeing changes due weakening to jet streams.

Comment

Might have to go back to Europe if you need someone to hold your hand while you get shit on.

Grand Forks was ringing the alarm bells about this storm for over a week ahead of time. Prudent people remember the Atlas Storm in 2013 and were prepared. Everyone else has to learn the hard way I guess.

It will always be a competition between Ma Nature and Government as to who hates the Canuck farmer the most.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        And before you jump all over me, climate change includes stalled persistent weather patterns that can include colder than normal temperatures and increased precipitation events. Climate scientists are seeing changes due weakening to jet streams.
                        Cmon, nobody is going to fall for that. So cant prove warming, we will fall back to calling every event climate change. What are climate scientists seeing from their university office windows? Lets see the models on that.

Is GSM climate change? because that's a way better explanation for a pattern that's been going on for 5 months.

Comment

Meanwhile every other industry goes to government with their hand out and comes home with their cap full....

And some of these industries are already lubing farmers pretty well....railways got a new deal a few years back....some graincos ( AGT and P&H ) have had direct handouts...Evraz a russian steel company gets their fair share of the 2 billion steel and aluminum money promised...etc etc etc...

Comment

Grassfarmer, hope somehow things turn around and you get your work done and the cattle stay healthy and get fed.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              This may rank as one of the worst storms ever to hit Manitoba and North Dakota in terms of damage to crops and infrastructure.

Unfortunately most governments and organizations don't have the immediate resources to deal with a disaster of this magnitude.

Providing financial compensation for this disaster is what will be needed in the long run. Farmers and organizations need to get together and ask for it otherwise it won't likely happen.

Happening before a long weekend is just bad luck and adds to the delay and inaction.

The increasing severity and frequency of weather events is what climate scientists have been saying will happen because of climate change. I am not prepared to call any particular event a result of climate change, but when record severe events frequently happen, then maybe we need to acknowledge the warnings.

Breaking news!
                              In some areas of the province farmers have wrapped up harvest. All thanks to climate change!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.