• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat drying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat drying

Wheat drying in summer in bins with just a fan. Should a guy circulate the grain first or hit the switch on fan and go?

How tough is it?

Probably wouldn’t hurt to at least core it good and break up any crust on top to let good air flow. A full bin flip would break up any spots that might be forming and you’d be able to grab a bin sample and check how it’s doing. If there’s spots starting to rot I don’t know how much just turning on the fan would reach them.

Comment

We started a while ago. We're done. Probably way over dry at the duct because its about 13.5% 4 feet down into the bin(only 3300 bu flat bottom) We're using it to blend with marginally tough stuff.
      We also started and stopped the fans according to temp and humidity and equilibrium chart results. Not supposed to do that but we do.

Good luck.

Any bugs?

Comment

We had it all Froze down.so going to start took couple semi loads out all is good but test 17 moisture at 16 Celsius.

Comment

Horizontal tube or rocket or floor air?

How big is the bin.

Comment

4800 with rocket

Comment

Hopper bins

Comment

As mentioned ours was in flat bottoms. Helfer ducts. 3 and 5 hp fans.

I think yours will take longer.

Real ugly vaccing those bins out.

Comment

Did you run the fan last fall? If you did I would just turn on the fan. If not I would split the bin into two different bins and run fan

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                    Did you run the fan last fall? If you did I would just turn on the fan. If not I would split the bin into two different bins and run fan
                    This would likely be the best method in my opinion. Split into 2 bins, run fan for a week and you will be close to dry with a uniform moisture.

Comment

We froze all our tough wheat bins last fall, gained about a point dryer this spring. Our rocket bins on a 18-5 in wheat will almost blow your hat off looking in from the top, no need to split into two bins. Canola is a different story, three ring is the max for me if I want to dry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.