• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alfalfa advice?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seeding July 23 2020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	769979

This is about 3 weeks after cutting the triple mix. It was very dry before and after cutting but rained since and the stuff exploded.

Comment

Well I’m thinking now because my cut hay keeps getting rained on, that I might end up needing more hay. So I think I’ll it it for green feed.

Everything I read says make sure alfalfa has been emerged for over sixty days before cutting it. Should I be worried that cutting it will hurt it’s regrow the and recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        Well I’m thinking now because my cut hay keeps getting rained on, that I might end up needing more hay. So I think I’ll it it for green feed.

Everything I read says make sure alfalfa has been emerged for over sixty days before cutting it. Should I be worried that cutting it will hurt it’s regrow the and recovery?
        As long as it is not cut past middle of August it should put enough into the roots before freeze up to be an established crop next year.cut a bit higher if you are still concerned about winter kill.Probably it would never get winter kill but may start up a bit slower next spring.

Comment

Sounds like I am thinking this through too much. Using rocket science where it’s not needed. Thanks everyone.

Thinking of cutting it early next week here.

Comment

So I ended up cutting those oats mid August. Seems like alfalfa is regrowing ok, but slowly, been wet enough for sure. I just hope it grows enough before killing frost. Thanks all for the advice. Set my mind at ease for sure. Ended up hay secure with some to sell as well.
            Last edited by Sheepwheat; Sep 3, 2020, 17:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
              So I ended up cutting those oats mid August. Seems like alfalfa is regrowing ok, but slowly, been wet enough for sure. I just hope it grows enough before killing frost. Thanks all for the advice. Set my mind at ease for sure. Ended up hay secure with some to sell as well.
              Having extra feed is always a good thing. Currently sitting on a few years of extra feed here and and it takes the thought of the next drought almost completely away. Alfalfa is an amazing plant and we use it in all our pastures too. We feed on it in the winter, feed on it in the muddy spring, basically abuse it and generally it comes back. The first stuff we planted (40% AC Grazeland alfalfa 60% orchard grass) was 15 years or so ago and now it’s getting tired and due for a rotation.

Can’t beat alfalfa for the economics or productivity. 🍀

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                Having extra feed is always a good thing. Currently sitting on a few years of extra feed here and and it takes the thought of the next drought almost completely away. Alfalfa is an amazing plant and we use it in all our pastures too. We feed on it in the winter, feed on it in the muddy spring, basically abuse it and generally it comes back. The first stuff we planted (40% AC Grazeland alfalfa 60% orchard grass) was 15 years or so ago and now it’s getting tired and due for a rotation.

Can’t beat alfalfa for the economics or productivity. 🍀
                Drought? What the heck is drought? Lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.