• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic flax prices.....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a guy who farms 2500 acres organically. Land is as clean as any conventional farmer, crops are 80% yield of conventional and worth 2.5 times more when he sells. Has buyers from all over the world coming to see his crops grow, he is growing by the rules and has a good connection with his land and methods and timing and good feel.

His farm is operation is very exciting and makes me feel like I am farming “paint by numbers” style rather than really understanding rotations, and that he really into something, and I am making my local chem dealer wealthier? I just can’t imagine the community ridicule I would take while trying to figure it out and having some messes to drive by.

Comment

Originally posted by Crestliner View Post
      I know a guy who farms 2500 acres organically. Land is as clean as any conventional farmer, crops are 80% yield of conventional and worth 2.5 times more when he sells. Has buyers from all over the world coming to see his crops grow, he is growing by the rules and has a good connection with his land and methods and timing and good feel.

His farm is operation is very exciting and makes me feel like I am farming “paint by numbers” style rather than really understanding rotations, and that he really into something, and I am making my local chem dealer wealthier? I just can’t imagine the community ridicule I would take while trying to figure it out and having some messes to drive by.
      It is human nature to make fun of others. If you are not good at independent thinking and living with your own decisions right or wrong, organic farming is not for you.

Tillage, disks, cultivators, soil degradation, erosion, exceptionally low yields, weeds, more tractor hours, premature depreciation, weeds, less time at the lake, emissions, weeds, carbon released, global warming, weeds, angry neighbors, lose friends, RM phone calls, weeds, you will have to buy a baler, less time at the lake. Annoying visits from international customers who want to buy your production. it’s a huge PITA.

Comment

Organic farming :

👇
        👉👍👈
        ☝️

Comment

Hobby

A question....if a guy has a 5 year plus grass stand and wants to work it up ...can he get certified organic status or is there a wait period?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Hobby

A question....if a guy has a 5 year plus grass stand and wants to work it up ...can he get certified organic status or is there a wait period?
            My understanding is that a new producer will need to wait 3 years to be certified regardless. Once you are certified, you could bring the described grass stand in immediately. A potential way around that is to partner with an existing organic producer, however I don't know the technicalities of that.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              Hobby

Contact a certifying body and they can give you the most accurate answer.

TCO Cert, Procert, OCIA Canada, QAI

Comment

I live a relatively sheltered life, don't spend much time in grocery stores, or restaurants, certainly not the type that would cater to the organic crowd. But we just returned from Hawaii, which is full of left over hippies, and their ilk. I never realized how big the organic and natural market is. Many restaurants advertise organic ( with lots of disclaimers), road side fruit stands all have claims, grocery stores have massive organic sections. Farms advertising themselves as organic or chemical free. It is a much bigger market than I perceived locally. Now if I can just get my organic papaya's and coffee trees to survive the Alberta winter...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.