• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might even do something more sinister and maintain my water runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
      Is that a 7G? The air cleaner and exhaust look the same as mine.
      Yes 1978 D7G

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
        Yes 1978 D7G
        Made a lot of miles in god knows where in them.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Whats with the unused hopper bottoms seldom?
          Hopper bottoms are for four flat bottoms that are filled with low falling number wheat that I did not sell last year because the price was so ugly. Have a left over bag of that same stuff. Price looks way better now so will sell this winter. Just one of the benefits of not having to contract with the government wheat board last October and get basically nothing. Thanks To Stephen Harper and crew!

Comment

Hopper bottoms are for four flat bottoms that are filled with low falling number wheat that I did not sell last year because the price was so ugly. Have a left over bag of that same stuff. Price looks way better now so will sell this winter. Just one of the benefits of not having to contract with the government wheat board last October and get basically nothing. Thanks To Stephen Harper and crew!
            hauled a couple loads of last years wheat carry over
            asked if it looked any better than last year , he just laughed and said it looks good
            got fuz now but sprouts are gone lol

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
              Made a lot of miles in god knows where in them.
              What were you doing Makar? Building leases or cutting seismic lines?

Comment

Saskfarmer, I know it depends on the angle of the discs, but how deep were you able to cut with that Twister and maintain a decent enough sped for the harrows and baskets to do a good job?

Comment

7 Deg worked the best and it levelled sprayer ruts with one pass. 0 and it took two.

at 14 I broke up 60 plus pasture and it took three times in three different angles but you could seed next spring.

The salfour is like a 0 Deg setting and it has a place that works for cattails and thick straw.

Comment

Looks sure like the Cat work will begin Monday as light snow last night at the farm is the end of the road for fieldwork.

Comment

330 Case Turbo disc a total bust here this year. Wouldn't cut lodged straw.
                      Cant throw old slough even when it cuts it. All it does really well is break blades.
                      Any comparisons to Pro Till out there??

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        Cant throw old slough even when it cuts it. All it does really well is break blades.
                        I had some unharvested peas to work in this spring. Tried a 330 turbo till, it just rode over the top and could hardly see where you went. My old tandem disc worked but wanted to plug. I ended up buying a disc harrow machine, made it black and chopped up the first pass, but went over twice before seeding. Protills are pretty pricey so I bought a farmet softer. Not sure it's the perfect machine but seems to do good with heavy trash.

Comment

What were you doing Makar? Building leases or cutting seismic lines?
                          lease work was close to home, most winters spent on seismic up Alaska highway or zama, never saw the wife much till spring.

Comment

Light snow or trying to snow all way to Moosejaw as today we are doing a staycation in Sask. Yea I would be leaving for Florida next Saturday if the border would open. Home in three days. Sure miss not going I don't like winter. But if we're stuck here may as well enjoy it. Wood getting cut for sled shack and sleds arriving next week. Ah, fun times, Not would be more fun on a pontoon on some lake down south.

Comment

I didn’t know that they closed the border at 40,000 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                                We ended up selling our 330 , had it 7 years I think .
                                I thought most times it worked well but had more than enough broken blades over the years . Not a fun job to change .
                                Never had to run it much though in very dry hard conditions. Leaves a good field finish most times even with limited moisture.
                                Used both the 330 and a pro till for a few years , rented a pro till a few falls .
                                Pro till is hands down better , but they were over double the price when we bought out 330
                                We just used an old Allis tandem disc then used our Gates coulter this fall . Worked well but , and a big but , we had some soil moisture here so not the same conditions as most on here .
                                The thing is even the new coulter harrows are getting way too expensive now as well .
                                Schulte coulter harrow looks impressive and much more aggressive than the Gates . But we like the Gates for leaving a good 60 % of the stubble in place for general harrow work and still making the soil tilled slightly. A 5 row harrow would be better than the 4 we have for better straw spread but that needs to be done with combine anyway to be really effective.
                                I still think the gates is our most useful tool here, can work low areas if you hit em twice and can harrow in conditions that no other harrow is effective like pea stubble in tough morning and damp conditions.
                                Can cover big acres at 13-14 mph and be still be used effectively in most low areas
                                But if you need more aggressive tillage in low areas and grassy sloughs ... degelman is hands down unbeatable in most cases and leaves the best field finish .
                                If you ever watch a Gates coulter harrow working in action , you will see how effective it can be in way more situations than just a heavy harrow.
                                Leaves pea stubble near perfect for seeding the next spring , even in damp conditions.
                                Would love to replace the old Allis disc with a pro till but just not practical for our farm at this time .
                                Sorry for the long post on a relatively short answer lol .
                                Pro till is way more effective than a 330 in most conditions, especially real dry , hard soil and real wet soils.
                                If your looking for real aggressive soil tillage and spreading straw simultaneously the Schulte is better than the Gates .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...