• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2017 Canola Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2017 Canola Varieties

I grew six varieties this year, L140, 252, 75-65, 74-44, Canterra 2100, and a 40 ac of Provwn Seed 560. To say the least I was sick of calibrating. We had basically had 6-7 tenths all growing season, so was actually a good test to see which one performed best in these conditions.
    The worst was 74-44!! Matures really early and took the brunt of the heat. Wasn't impressed with 140!! We all know how 252 can preform, it did ok considering. The best I would say was 75-65, with 2100 not that far behind. The 560 was only 40 ac so hard to get a good read, but seemed like it was not a bad variety. All varieties were straight cut. The 252 was desiccated. For the amount of rain we got I'm happy with the results.
    I won't be growing another six next. If we don't get moisture it may be taken down to zero. If I do grow any it will be 75-65, L233 and maybe some 252. Canterra 2300 is a new one that looks to be a good one.
    Getting lots of calls to book this to save that. I'm tired of the one line. If there's no moisture going into spring there will be a lot of canola acres cut way back. There will be ample seed supplies.

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
    I grew six varieties this year, L140, 252, 75-65, 74-44, Canterra 2100, and a 40 ac of Provwn Seed 560. To say the least I was sick of calibrating. We had basically had 6-7 tenths all growing season, so was actually a good test to see which one performed best in these conditions.
    The worst was 74-44!! Matures really early and took the brunt of the heat. Wasn't impressed with 140!! We all know how 252 can preform, it did ok considering. The best I would say was 75-65, with 2100 not that far behind. The 560 was only 40 ac so hard to get a good read, but seemed like it was not a bad variety. All varieties were straight cut. The 252 was desiccated. For the amount of rain we got I'm happy with the results.
    I won't be growing another six next. If we don't get moisture it may be taken down to zero. If I do grow any it will be 75-65, L233 and maybe some 252. Canterra 2300 is a new one that looks to be a good one.
    Getting lots of calls to book this to save that. I'm tired of the one line. If there's no moisture going into spring there will be a lot of canola acres cut way back. There will be ample seed supplies.
    I was really surprised with L 230 is it ever a good one

Comment

In desperation to acquire seed or in an attempt to save a pile of money....you could always clean and seed your own. End results probably not as good as "store bought" seed.

Comment

The only true straight cut varieties are L233P and L140P

Everything else is marketing bullshit.

We straight cut every acre and all the other varieties shatter from mechanical damage or wind if they are ripe.

I purposely left 2 acres of L233 out in that retarded wind. Not a pod dropped or shattered. It actually stood up better than the wheat we had left.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post

We straight cut every acre and all the other varieties shatter from mechanical damage or wind if they are ripe.

I purposely left 2 acres of L233 out in that retarded wind. Not a pod dropped or shattered. It actually stood up better than the wheat we had left.
          I've booked some l233p for next year, likely gonna still swath we'll see. Do those straight cut varieties need to be thrashed any harder or in tough conditions do they combine the same as other varieties?

Comment

Well we had pioneer strait and a club root variety plus 233 and 252.

Taking just two next year 233 and 252 and dropping all pioneer.

No roundup varieties.

Swath all and will do again at 98% for strait cut varieties.

One note that insane wind did take swaths that just did where geese are. But standing they wouldn't make it way to green.

Acres 1/3 strait 2/3 swath probably will be our canola variety break down

Comment

75-65 is a good pod shatter variety. There's was virtually no shelling. 2100 was about the same. Straight cut the 252 because of lack of material. Was afraid if I swathed it, it would end up in SF3 yard and add to his already impressive yields. 😂😂

Comment

Bigzee.

Any laugh is a good laugh, but damn, that was a good laugh.

Comment

Ours will al be invigor

Roundup you can apply only when true leaves are out and 1/2 liter max between two applications or yield is trimmed.

Everything will have Lubriderm

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                    I've booked some l233p for next year, likely gonna still swath we'll see. Do those straight cut varieties need to be thrashed any harder or in tough conditions do they combine the same as other varieties?
                    Our lexion gets set for wheat. For l233 and l140 only...

Tried 75-65 Canterra pioneer. All combine like regular stuff.

L140 and 233 are a very different plant... And all that extra white cotton dust they produce is highly flammable

Comment

The later seeded crops did better..even when the earlier seeded one bloomed longer..
                      Thought it would have missed the heat compared to the later ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post

Your saying then that 45M35 from pioneer isn’t a straight cut variety?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                          Well we had pioneer strait and a club root variety plus 233 and 252.

Taking just two next year 233 and 252 and dropping all pioneer.

No roundup varieties.

Swath all and will do again at 98% for strait cut varieties.

One note that insane wind did take swaths that just did where geese are. But standing they wouldn't make it way to green.

Acres 1/3 strait 2/3 swath probably will be our canola variety break down
                          In my case, in our area we should grow club root varieties. So I grew all L241C. Straight cut half and swathed half. Sprayed the standing canola with heat and glyphosate about 4 days after I finished swathing canola. I did combine all the standing canola first, followed right after on the swathed. Standing out yielded swathed by 6 bushels per acre average. The was some wind damage on the swathed but probably less than 5%. No greens in any of it. My son drives the 9070, I drive an old TR 98 with a 30 foot honeybee. In standing I travelled a consistent 2.6-2.8 mph. Fed very nice, never plugged the feeder house or the rotors. My swather is a challenger 185(same as Massey 9635) with a 25 foot head and we pull a roller. I could almost average 3 mph in the swathed. First night plugged rotors once. Next day plugged the rotors twice, took out a rotor belt and had issues with canola kicking open stone trap, a problem that never occurred straight cutting. So I am curious why you wouldn't straight cut some canola Sask3? Except that it could get snowed down straight cutting certainly payed this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                            Your saying then that 45M35 from pioneer isn’t a straight cut variety?
                            Had it and L140 and the pioneer clearfield out in the snow last year. Clearfield half gone. M35 over a third gone. L140 still there this spring when we combined it.

117 km/hr wind last week left 2 acres of L233p out to see and had a half of M35... L233 was all there M35 gone with the wind.

It is "better" than H33 or L252 for sure but it's not the same plant or the same pod integrity as the Invigour "P" varieties...

Comment

75-65 is a good pod shatter variety. There's was virtually no shelling. 2100 was about the same. Straight cut the 252 because of lack of material. Was afraid if I swathed it, it would end up in SF3 yard and add to his already impressive yields. 😂😂
                              How did the 75-65 compare in yield?

Was thinking this and 74-44 would be two good DeKalb varieties.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.