• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did all the "bumper" crop experts go all of a sudden?????????????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Fuel wise per tonne ...one would think rail would be lower....but if the crusher at lethbridge needs canola....the rail would be too slow even though there are few stops. ..50 cars would be 100 trucks....this system we have is insane.
    Yes well thought out plan. Suppose they can't pick up 10 cars from P&H, 5 from Viterra, 3 from PIO etc. Always said grain should be delivered to one elevator and buyers from each grain company have an office in the elevator buying and shipping. Ever been to cattle stock yards?

Comment

Well the canola just ran 42 on our place and most crop in the area seem to be in the same boat. Groceries in for 55, didnt happen. A quarter was even switched out to durum after the beatles ate it. Heat, flooding, frost. I would say Mr Townshend has been in the office too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
        Driving by the crushers in Yorkton the last few days I doubt there is going to be any canola left in the bins by spring.....wow line ups like I have never seen all the way up to highway 16.
        that $10 carrot dangling this summer caught a lot of rabbits
        although no-one will admit to it now

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          Well the canola just ran 42 on our place and most crop in the area seem to be in the same boat. Groceries in for 55, didnt happen. A quarter was even switched out to durum after the beatles ate it. Heat, flooding, frost. I would say Mr Townshend has been in the office too long.
          you did good jazz , beat us
          haven't saw under 50 here for a generation

Comment

Grain stats are Kinda like weather forecasters can be constantly wrong and cost everyone big time but still never lose job.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
              Grain stats are Kinda like weather forecasters can be constantly wrong and cost everyone big time but still never lose job.
              but lotsa people we trust and listen to were repeating the BS

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                Just mabey its time to quit buying your crop and just grow what you can,give supply and demand a chance.
                With all the tech out there nowadays the grain cos and machine cos all know what you have to sell before you do and can set prices accordingly.
                Horse exactly! And farmers are doing all they can to make sure that data gets more and more accurate.

Are farmers bills too high because too many decisions have too low of an ROI? How is spending your way to profitable crop production working out?

Gotsta get me that X11 and the 80' header - maybe 2 of them, it'll improve my productivity AND make my neighbors jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                  Yes well thought out plan. Suppose they can't pick up 10 cars from P&H, 5 from Viterra, 3 from PIO etc. Always said grain should be delivered to one elevator and buyers from each grain company have an office in the elevator buying and shipping. Ever been to cattle stock yards?
                  What about learning something from Australia:

The total cost of a typical export grain supply chain in Canada is around $107 per tonne, including on-farm storage. By contrast the equivalent supply chain in Australia has a total cost of around $87 per tonne.• In Canada, the transport distance from upcountry storage to port is about six times longer than occurs in Australia, so the transport cost is higher: $49 per tonne for Canada versus $28 per tonne for Australia. However, the per tonne kilometre cost of rail freight is almost five times lower: 0.03$/NTK in Canada versus 0.14$/NTK in Australia.• On-farm storage costs on a per tonne basis are higher in Australia than in Canada, but only a small proportion of the grain bound for export is stored on farm in Australia. Most is stored in much cheaper warehouse storage. In Canada, nearly all grain is stored on farm so the total cost of the storage task is higher: $18 per tonne in Canada versus $9 per tonne in Australia.• Port receival, handling and vessel charges in Canada are two thirds of the equivalent charges in Australia for the same service: $14 per tonne in Canada versus $21 per tonne in Australia. This difference can be partly explained by higher throughput volumes at Canadian ports allowing for economies of scale and reduced regulation that enables more flexibility in loading vessels

Good info to ponder. https://www.aegic.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Canadian-Supply-Chain-Full-Report.pdf https://www.aegic.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Canadian-Supply-Chain-Full-Report.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                    Are farmers bills too high because too many decisions have too low of an ROI? How is spending your way to profitable crop production working out?

Just curious which inputs you would forgo? Around here cutting back fertility would make a 50 bu canola crop become 30bu. 30bu doesnt pay the bills either especially when buying high priced seed.

IMHO the only reason Canadian ag still exists is that farmers were able to hit these higher yeilds consistently. I dont think there is any profit in going back to half those yeilds either.

If you are landowner, the biggest savings right now is a refi on your loan.

I agree on transport costs, we should let the Americans take it all out on their system instead of banging our heads against the rockies.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      that $10 carrot dangling this summer caught a lot of rabbits
                      although no-one will admit to it now
                      I sold some specialty canola I wish I hadn't.

Very respectable prices but the spread is narrowing.

Hindsight marketing.....always 20-20.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        I sold some specialty canola I wish I hadn't.

Very respectable prices but the spread is narrowing.

Hindsight marketing.....always 20-20.
                        I sold some canola at $10. A few loads to get cashflow. Didn't realize there were so many homerun hitters here. I try to bat for an average. Never sell too much at once. Just when you think you have it figured out the market bites you in the ass.

Oh also sold some reds for .28 and durum for over $8 but again still trying to bat for an average.

Comment

Wasn't directed any ill will your way farma just commenting the same general thought. Nobody hits homeruns all the time.

Comment

I try. And I hate leaving money on the table.

Sometimes I calculate "the difference between what I got and what I could of had". The difference is staggering sometimes. I image what I could do with those coulda woulda shoulda dollars.

Not recommended.

Comment

Just curious which inputs you would forgo? Around here cutting back fertility would make a 50 bu canola crop become 30bu. 30bu doesnt pay the bills either especially when buying high priced seed.

IMHO the only reason Canadian ag still exists is that farmers were able to hit these higher yeilds consistently. I dont think there is any profit in going back to half those yeilds either.

If you are landowner, the biggest savings right now is a refi on your loan.

I agree on transport costs, we should let the Americans take it all out on their system instead of banging our heads against the rockies.
                              You would have to look at your soil test and find out what the percentage you are likely to get 50 bu. I'm guessing it's less the 20%

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                                You would have to look at your soil test and find out what the percentage you are likely to get 50 bu. I'm guessing it's less the 20%
                                I don't know the percentage for Jazz but I think I know the general area that he farms in and it is capable of big crops.

Kinda like where Sask3 farms with alittle less rain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.