• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Three frosty nights forecast here this week.

Normal crops won't be affected, a few establishment disasters will be.

Not much(weeds) growing post harvest. Too dry to get anything going. And what was there is struggling hard to survive. Sprayer might be done for the season.
    Same here WEEDS are dying, normally green and growing after swathing. Really hard to kill if NOT growing. Like concrete, will wear spikes out in 200 acres! Our soil is normally abrasive even moist.

Comment

Spent Sunday watering my shelter belt around my yard. 10 yr old poplars are dying.

Comment

Like I said The Sat images that Ag Canada is using for yield is a joke. Sort of like the biggest crop ever by sask ag and food. Or private companies a month back it's so big let's kill the market.

Wheat is an average and canola is below.

Comment

Sf, what do you see as average yields anymore? Province wide I mean. Was talking to a friend and we were trying to decide that number on wheat oats and canola. Because we have gotten too good at growing excessive amounts of grain for less, I would say what we say is an average yield now, would be a bumper ten years ago? Ie. guys are disappointed with ONLY 60 bushel wheat?

What do you figure an average province wide yield would be for a few main crops in 2020, vs. say 2000? Friend and me couldn’t really figure it out. A few great years get people thinking differently, you know? Is average a longer term like ten years, or just the last few?

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
            Spent Sunday watering my shelter belt around my yard. 10 yr old poplars are dying.
            Got the quad stuck here today. Normally that spot is dry in June. Moisture right to the surface here. At least it’s not caking on the cutterbar like last year. Only watered the flower pots and raised garden bed a few times this year. Quite the contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
              The year of the 1/10 will be 2020s story for us.

Every single rain was just close to a couple tenths. Never a real big rain.

The one in July was storms all day giving a 4/10 then 3/10 then 2/10
              Ah australia

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                Sf, what do you see as average yields anymore? Province wide I mean. Was talking to a friend and we were trying to decide that number on wheat oats and canola. Because we have gotten too good at growing excessive amounts of grain for less, I would say what we say is an average yield now, would be a bumper ten years ago? Ie. guys are disappointed with ONLY 60 bushel wheat?

What do you figure an average province wide yield would be for a few main crops in 2020, vs. say 2000? Friend and me couldn’t really figure it out. A few great years get people thinking differently, you know? Is average a longer term like ten years, or just the last few?
                unfortunately <60 HRS around here is a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                  unfortunately <60 HRS around here is a disappointment.
                  Here too nowadays. But my point is province wide. Yields have gone up a lot with higher fertility and spraying ten times a year etc. I simply don’t think the “experts” have kept up to reality. And also, many areas do not assume 60 wheat and 50 canola is going to happen every year.

I think the experts see a guy state he got sixty bushel wheat, look at historic province wide average yields, and gasp and say it’s a bumper!

Comment

I agree also we have gotten really god at Greg good crops thanks to.

Direct seeding
                    Round up
                    Seed
                    Chem
                    Fungicide
                    Fall burn off
                    Tile drainage.
                    Landscaping
                    Cats
                    Trac hoes
                    High clearance sprayers
                    Hard work
                    Weather stations
                    Etc etc.

So yes a 40 canola isn’t a great year
                    A 25 is a disaster

For wheat a 60 is oh my god
                    A fourth is wreck
                    25 is wiped out.

But all this has changed since we started direct seeding in the early 80s and upped our game.

Comment

I have to be honest harvest is still in its early stages here. But one thing that is very consistent and that is surprise and to some extent disappointment. Early results are barley on average down 15-20%, last year consistent yields in this area of 90-100. This year 70 to absolute top of 85, some less than 70. Peas were abismal last year 30-45, this year not much better, tops would be 50. Early results on wheat are all over the map, can’t really comment except yields appear similar to last year with better protein. Canola, so far early yields are down from last year, not convinced this trend will continue but lots of growth with less than expected in the pod, time will tell.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.