• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC train derailment

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it’s cold, cn crews will sit for hours pumping up air pressure to operate trains. Others have talked about how the system works in action but long and short of it is they need air pressure and in cold conditions, the system is inadequate. Hope a bunch of liberals aren’t in charge of the investigation and some changes come about on the lives of the three men lost. The Jasper crash 40 years ago cleaned up the problems with the running trades. They are paid well but have someone looking over their shoulder continuesly and every infraction can get you fired immediately. The poor service we receive because of poor equipment that won’t run in the winter is pathetic. I terms of who should pay for twin tracking, I believe private should build it, government should own it, just like our highways.

Comment

What I don’t understand is that there were at least 3 crew members on that train plus at least 3 locomotives , why could they not use the power of the engines to overcome the loss of brakes, after all this train unit normally runs with no brakes on when it is moving. I don’t know a lot about trains but something does not sound right.

Comment

Very tragic for the crew and families
        Beginning to sound like just
        Hopping on the train was a death
        Sentance for the crew.
        My condolences.
        Must have been a bad leak. With
        Reserves already depleted
        From the get go.
        And 3 locomotives pumping could not maintain supply.

The hand brake thing is so 18th century.
        Every third or 4th car would need hand brakes applied.

Brother was a railroader and 6 months ago .we talked about this exact thing.
        You really have to know what you are doing. In the mountains.
        Manage your air or you are screwed.

Comment

https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/mass-transit/stop-that-train https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/mass-transit/stop-that-train

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
            When it’s cold, cn crews will sit for hours pumping up air pressure to operate trains. Others have talked about how the system works in action but long and short of it is they need air pressure and in cold conditions, the system is inadequate.
            Hope a bunch of liberals aren’t in charge of the investigation and some changes come about on the lives of the three men lost.
            The Jasper crash 40 years ago cleaned up the problems with the running trades. They are paid well but have someone looking over their shoulder continuesly and every infraction can get you fired immediately. The poor service we receive because of poor equipment that won’t run in the winter is pathetic. I terms of who should pay for twin tracking, I believe private should build it, government should own it, just like our highways.
            it will be the CP police involved in the investigation , and no one else
            if it were the liberals they would just recommend moving the mountain

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              it will be the CP police involved in the investigation , and no one else
              if it were the liberals they would just recommend moving the mountain
              Nope they'd just say the track elevation will balance itself, then blame it on the white guys that didn't consult with every self interest group along the track each time a train leaves the station and screw some solar panels to the roof of the engines after cutting a cheque to some mid eastern country in the name of social licence to keep the track open. All in a days work!

Comment

Well if that train was parked so that engines could get it moving from a dead stop; then why wouldn't someone either not have been in charge of the engines, or asleep, or not keeping the air pressure up etc.

Any one of these steps should have prevented it rolling backwards?

Or did it roll forwards out of control? Don't know any details; just saw one picture and haven't yet read comments on here.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
                  Well if that train was parked so that engines could get it moving from a dead stop; then why wouldn't someone either not have been in charge of the engines, or asleep, or not keeping the air pressure up etc.

Any one of these steps should have prevented it rolling backwards?

Or did it roll forwards out of control? Don't know any details; just saw one picture and haven't yet read comments on here.
                  Good idea. Likely the cheapest way to prevent an accident like this is to man the train at all times. These fellows stayed with the train. I don't know how they even made it through the first tunnel. They likely wouldn't have considered anything else. Another person interested in self preservation might have bailed as soon as it took off down the grade. A special breed. Even though farmers have been battling railroads as long as there was a railroad I always wave to the guys at a crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                    Good idea. Likely the cheapest way to prevent an accident like this is to man the train at all times. These fellows stayed with the train. I don't know how they even made it through the first tunnel. They likely wouldn't have considered anything else. Another person interested in self preservation might have bailed as soon as it took off down the grade. A special breed. Even though farmers have been battling railroads as long as there was a railroad I always wave to the guys at a crossing.
                    After the oil car disaster in Quebec... it is astounding the DOT does not require changes to the brake system... to prevent these disasters. You would think by now... a reasonable solution should have been put in place [implemented] to stop these type fatal reoccurring disasters.

Silly me...I know the common sense answer!!!

All new train engineers... must have 125 hours of training [pun intended] @ a cost to them of 100$/hr + to be sure all new people driving trains; know how to apply manual hand brakes on rail cars.

There... that fixes the problem!!! No more fatalities... if there are... up the training of new locomotive operators to 250 hours... to make sure they understand how to apply mechanical hand brakes on rail cars.

WOW.... the power of regulations to force people to follow proper driving procedures!!!

Sooo;
                    perhaps this was at the crew change time...[a known fact] and the crew getting off shift... was not allowed [according to union rules] to apply the manual brakes on the rail cars... because their shift had already expired... and it would have meant possible reprimands [for breaking union rules and overtime work/log time breaches... that was not allowed]... if the crew leaving the train had applied the mechanical brakes... as was also required by law.

Just a thought... in case you wanted to know the rest of the story.

Think of all the fun we will have... when we are required to run log books when seeding and harvesting!!!

NDP union rules... to save farmers from themselves!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.