• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Will Shrinking Pulse Acreage Go In 2018?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree its a wait and see with Canola. Seeding small seeds into dry ground doesn't work it sits and will be blue till fall if no moisture comes.

I think something is changing in the jet stream but still not seeing the moisture for the south or west like it was for 15 years. I honestly think were heading back to normal.

25 canola in south and west and 40 in east and north and Manitoba higher plus northern Alberta. The days of 60 plus in the south and west was a dream. but the plant is a plant and it cant produce with out moisture and not extreme temps. The seed guides and reps can tell you its superior plant genetics but thats bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
      I agree its a wait and see with Canola. Seeding small seeds into dry ground doesn't work it sits and will be blue till fall if no moisture comes.

I think something is changing in the jet stream but still not seeing the moisture for the south or west like it was for 15 years. I honestly think were heading back to normal.

25 canola in south and west and 40 in east and north and Manitoba higher plus northern Alberta. The days of 60 plus in the south and west was a dream. but the plant is a plant and it cant produce with out moisture and not extreme temps. The seed guides and reps can tell you its superior plant genetics but thats bullshit.
      If we ever go back to the drying trend of the 90’s coupled with a decade of poor prices that will cut the sails of lots of us. If we didn’t have cattle in those days. Could rent anything for $25. It’s shaping up for a repeat.

Comment

with all the corn coming in to feed livestock a few more acres of barley might be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by BFW View Post
          with all the corn coming in to feed livestock a few more acres of barley might be in order.
          Really? ****ers never want to pay anything for it hence they bring in corn. Aside from places that are good barley areas the rest are better off growing wheat. I like barley for the soil but not for the bottom line.

Comment

Sask planning guide yields would seem to be based on adequate or even surplus moisture most of us have had past few years.
            Like SF3 and many others, our present plan is for half cereals and half canola.
            Have not been growing pulse crop past few years so do not worry about that.
            Dry slough bottoms and little snow could indicate a dry year but expect to seed all the acres we can.
            Futures prices still high enough to cover expected yields from a modestly dryer year.

Comment

Still FAR more Profit in 16 cent lentils than in 11 dollar canola . Saskfarmer here in SW Sask ,canola is just a rotational crop, if you make a profit that's a bonus

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...