• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dairy trade and NAFTA

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy trade and NAFTA

So it is as I have said before that it is Canada's unwillingness to discuss dairy trade is why NAFTA will fail. The blame for the steel tariffs and general failure of NAFTA falls squarely on the dairy farmers of Ontario. It is time that the sacred cow be led to the slaughter line. They have done it in Europe successfully so there is a model. Free trade in dairy products now.

To bad all the other cows never had the same "Sacred Cow" status as those MagPie Cows.

Comment

They are trying to replace beef cows with plant proteins and manufactured beef.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        They are trying to replace beef cows with plant proteins and manufactured beef.
        Milk as well. perfectdayfoods.com

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          So it is as I have said before that it is Canada's unwillingness to discuss dairy trade is why NAFTA will fail. The blame for the steel tariffs and general failure of NAFTA falls squarely on the dairy farmers of Ontario. It is time that the sacred cow be led to the slaughter line. They have done it in Europe successfully so there is a model. Free trade in dairy products now.
          AJL, Is your concern for the steel industry or resentment of the dairy guys? I really am a free market guy but I gotta tell you if all our ag sectors were supply managed we'd all be happier farmers; shipping logistics, timing the market, guaranteed profit, guaranteed sale, increased price as costs go up etc. Easy to be jealous of their system, but I still don't want to milk cows. It is frustrating when we keep hearing about it with any trade or WTO talks I Know. But I think it's more of an easy scapegoat for the Americans, other than some cheese products and a bit of fluid milk that may move into GTA and Vancouver I can't see it being a huge market for them. Milk is heavy and perishable product to ship.

What you do need to think about is how many extra tax dollars you are prepared to send in to facilitate this change. If it does get axed, that quota will be compensated for by all of us, whether or not you believe it ever should have existed.

Comment

Personally would benefit from lower dairy product prices in Canada. When you are negotiating there is give and take on both sides. The US brought up a legitimate issue, since they had been freely trading ultra filtered milk into the Canadian market until the DFO cried foul. I say offer the US more access to the dairy market in exchange for no steel tariffs. What is the problem with doing that? Most wealth in Canuckistan is where it is because of some government transfer weather you are talking public servants, supply managed farmers, or land speculators that benefited big time from central bank money printing. Yes, there is a bit of resentment towards all the crony capitalism I see.

Comment

People can call Trump stupid, but he is one of the smarter negotiators that the US has ever had. Supply management is out the window, or Canada is 'gonna get a hurt real bad'. Maybe put a tariff on vehicles from Canada next? That would surely break Ottawa politicians.

Comment

I suppose ransom is a form of negotiations.....

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                    People can call Trump stupid, but he is one of the smarter negotiators that the US has ever had. Supply management is out the window, or Canada is 'gonna get a hurt real bad'. Maybe put a tariff on vehicles from Canada next? That would surely break Ottawa politicians.
                    On the contrary, he is proving to be the dumbest President they have ever had by a significant margin, especially on trade. His "trade wars are good and easy to win" comments are attracted the derision they deserve from all sides of the political divide around the world. Complete dumbass who has no idea what is involved or what's at stake although his own party are frantically trying to bring him up to speed before he does any more damage.
                    For the farmers that want to throw supply management under the bus what'll you say when he puts tariffs on all grain and oilseed products going south? He is just as likely to do that the next time he has to run diversion from another scandal in his administration. I'm sure glad we don't have some of you negotiating on our behalf - the first time the biggest bully trading partner says they are going to tax your imports and you all roll over and support him instead of your own countries interests.

Comment

To those that wish other farm commodities were under supply management just think about that for a minute.

Would you really want to purchase quota or a permit to be able to grow a bushel of canola or wheat or whatever? I've heard of quota values for milk for over $35,000.00 for 100 hl. not inconceivable an acre of canola be $5000.00.

Of course we wouldn't be able to export either seed or by products because our high priced markets would be protected by %300 import taxes. so all production will be strictly controlled to the amount that can be consumed in canada. now extend that to all grains pulses and oilseeds, we wouldn't need many acres to supply domestic consumption.

Might as well tell the cattle and hog guys to do the same, why should they be any different.

A few hundred farmers could probably supply all of canada needs. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make the cut, or would even want to.

If you think trade negotiations are tough now, imagine what they would be like if all commodities were under supply management.

one thing though, is our fossil fuel consumption would drop to the point that maybe even the most alarmed alarmist would be happy for a minute or two.

To say that Trump doesn't know how to negotiate a deal is laughable....he's got the media and negotiators scurrying around in every direction except the one he wants to go in, then bang...he gets what he wants, nobody knows what hit them.

Trumps tweets are to the media what a laser pointer is to cats. I wish I could claim authorship to that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                        Personally would benefit from lower dairy product prices in Canada. When you are negotiating there is give and take on both sides. The US brought up a legitimate issue, since they had been freely trading ultra filtered milk into the Canadian market until the DFO cried foul. I say offer the US more access to the dairy market in exchange for no steel tariffs. What is the problem with doing that? Most wealth in Canuckistan is where it is because of some government transfer weather you are talking public servants, supply managed farmers, or land speculators that benefited big time from central bank money printing. Yes, there is a bit of resentment towards all the crony capitalism I see.
                        You make very good points.
                        It shouldn’t be a shocker that the USA dairy lobby is complaining about a lack of access to our market.

Comment

tmyrfield, I didn't see anyone in this thread advocating for other farm commodities to be put under supply management. Tell you what though supply managed dairy in Canada is the envy of every other country. Most successful dairy farmers in the world and customers that can easily afford their supply of high quality, stable priced milk.
                          Trump negotiate a deal? where has he done that? All he has done up to now is throw incendiary devices at issues every time he needs to creatre a political distraction.

Comment

Agree with SM or not Trump will pit the steel industry against the dairy and feather sector in Canada. Divide and conquer. Great idea for the USA dairy industry to dump their surplus milk in Canada as opposed to down the drain. I thought with the Canada eu deal that sm was to be phased out anyway.

Comment

Excellent comments tymrfield. Supply management is morally indefensible. How can you ban 99.99% of the population from producing basic food stuffs?

I guess Mr. Simple didn't catch the meaning of farmaholic's line.

"To bad all the other cows never had the same "Sacred Cow" status as those MagPie Cows."

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.