• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think about...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone think about...

.....selling out given the high price of land machinery and lack of infrastructure to move the crop in a reasonable time frame and lack of market access etc etc etc...

.........Forever?
    .........Move somewhere else to farm?
    .........Buy back in here if land "corrects"?
    .........Retire and say ****-it (I'm "middle-aged")
    .........What about the successors?

Comment

Im sure many more are thinking about it. #AgMoreChallengesThanEver

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
        Im sure many more are thinking about it. #AgMoreChallengesThanEver
        Lol biglentil...good play on words! Sad but true.

Comment

Every single day of the year i weigh the pros and cons and next gen transfer or just move out of Canada and Gone.

Good funny comment above. Morning laugh. thanks.

Comment

Dad always asks "how long are you going to keep farming?" My reply. "as long as I'm making money". We're still making money. Succession plan - boys aren't interested, I'm the last of this four generation farm. I can't find another profession that is this lucrative - could use a little less stress at times though.

Comment

Have a plan to exit..
              The higher land prices is excellent for us who will be retired in 4 or so yrs.
              Until then buy some new toys and enjoy the ride.

Comment

We bought four quarters last year spring at a crazy price. When i got back from europe food show a month ago i started to think that was a huge mistake. In pulse areas land values have been driven up by lentils and to a lesser extent peas. Personally i think land values will start to correct right away, at the least rental rates have to start coming down now. I understand land reality agents are getting alot more calls this fall.

Comment

Land should always be a solid investment, the key is affording what you buy, and managing risk. I see some folks selling off a bit of land to lower debt, or to diversify the portfolio, cashing in at some level is never a bad idea.

Comment

Yes. Thinking about other opportunities elsewhere. I would be willing to take a chance elsewhere. wonder about my kids. Just started a young family. Is Canada the place for opportunity in ag. I have been having doubts recently.
                    Plus the weather sucks.

Comment

Yeah prices are definitely getting to fairly inflated levels. Here is a a farm that was listed just a few days ago.
                      http://www.timhammond.ca/Listing/ViewListingDetails.aspx?listingId=261545697

Comment

Originally posted by SWFarmer View Post
                        Yeah prices are definitely getting to fairly inflated levels. Here is a a farm that was listed just a few days ago.
                        http://www.timhammond.ca/Listing/ViewListingDetails.aspx?listingId=261545697
                        It's a cash machine
                        And when the lakes dry up you can farm the rest of the land

Comment

Maybe I should list the Slum in the Ghetto!

Locals don't seem to think land is worth what it's selling for..... seems only people with access to other people's money or cash rich independent investors do.

When buying land at current values..... cash is King or enough of it to "buy it down" to a level someone will lend you the rest! Bwahahaha haha ha.

Comment

Yes in the example above there is the little matter of about 25% down payment and 40 grand a month for the mortgage

Comment

Shaming white settlers. Making it so that if you're a white male you are evil scum. Trying to redistribute wealth.
                              Trying to censor the internet.

All recently. That's what scares me the most about Canada. This is Argentina in the 70s and 80s all over again.

I worry about the future my our kids will have too.

Canada's a great country but we are making a royal mess of it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.