• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Producer Group Director Elections.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys bring your concerns forward to commissions?
    What things do you think they should be doing for you that they aren't now?

I see some big holes left in the system that aren't being adressed and not sure who would do anything about them. I have brought forward to all commissions and CGC not hearing of much action or maybe even addressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
      Is this an easy process to get it back?
      Do you have to do this every year or just once?
      they don't make it easy. first of all no forms can be found on their websites, you have to call (what is this the 1970's?). then you need to submit a record of all your deliveires, plus the deadline dates are different with all of them, some annually some several deadlines per year. if the computer systems are already in place with most graincos to report the deductions to the check off groups, why do I have to go thru the whole process again to show them records of my deliveries. Lots of work to get your money back.

as stated earlier, keep your money and take the family on a well deserved vacation this winter. you will likely bump into one of these groups holding 'meetings' while down south.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
        I am going to disagree with several on this discussion. I think there is a purpose and value for the $ with some of the commissions but certainly there is room for improvement and efficiency
        Some facts:
        There would not be a pulse industry in sask or certainly not near as robust a one as what we have without the producer $. All the best varieties to date, and in lentil, all varieties anyone here grows, have been developed with check off funds. And we can grow them royalty free. Not important? Switch back to common crimson lentil seed and see how that works. Don’t grow lentils at all? Similar story for peas although there are a few other decent varieties around-not royalty free tho. Compare your total check off per acre to royalty on a variety in another system(like canola).
        There are issues, serious issues, that some of the groups address or the national ones address that does not happen unless there is $. For example the COOL issue in Italy right now with durum wheat. Will there be a positive outcome? Hard to say, but if not for the national org addressing it, chances are very slim. The prov SK Wheat has chosen to completely ignore this issue w funding and involvement so the likes of Gehl are simply saying durum going to Italy is not important to SK.
        And MRL issues-look back to 2011 and review what would be the state of the green lentil market with the glyphosate issue had Pulse Canada not been involved with science to intervene-there may not be a market at all. Those issues are way more prevalent today but many producers are not aware of them.
        It’s another misconception that it’s nothing but trips and party for those on these boards. That is not accurate in my experience. In fact, there is a major contribution of time and mental energy being made by many to try and make things better for everyone.
        Now, if the majority of farmers do not see value-after some due diligence determining what actually goes on, then there needs to be change.
        We have the system we have and I am not going to say it’s perfect or there should not be change. It is up to farmers. Get involved if you want to make change. Propose a better system. Amalgamate some things for efficiency. Most importantly vote and make your voice heard.
        The Pulse Board during the Slinkard - Robin Morrow(I think) made great strides. We all benifited and owe them a debt of gratitude. that is or sure but now the budget is huge because the check-off is too high for the number of acres. Maybe this year at the annual meeting growers will vote to reduce the levy again. The board talked about making the levy refundable at he last meeting I attended. Many of us probably wouldn't ask for it back anyway.

Comment

Not defending anyone, but the pulse levy doesn't get used up every year because they mandate a percentage to go to fund future needs in case of shortfall. They fund multiyear research projects.

These recent pea fractionization plants came about because of several years of the pulse board funding research on using pulse fractions in flour to lower the glycolic index of white bread, buns etc.

So that, some early agronomy research and varietal development are vital gains for the pulse producers.

Canary guys funding research on suitability for human consumption.

Wheat guys.... no clue.

Canola growers have funded some autonomy stuff in the past.

Wheat guys ... no clue. Oh ya I said that.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
            Not defending anyone, but the pulse levy doesn't get used up every year because they mandate a percentage to go to fund future needs in case of shortfall. They fund multiyear research projects.

These recent pea fractionization plants came about because of several years of the pulse board funding research on using pulse fractions in flour to lower the glycolic index of white bread, buns etc.

So that, some early agronomy research and varietal development are vital gains for the pulse producers.

Wheat guys.... no clue.

Maybe the Wheat Commissions could work at getting fair standardized contracts and getting the ridiculously low specs adjusted upward for fusarium damage in wheat and durum.....don't forget that beast will rear it's ugly head again! Don't let one disease free year lull you into a false sense of security!

Comment

Friggin autocorrect on phones.

Glycemic not glycolic.

Agronomic not autonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post

Wheat guys.... no clue.

Canary seed for human consumption? I've heard that song for 35 years. Maybe if we were song birds. Hope I am never that hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  Canary seed for human consumption? I've heard that song for 35 years. Maybe if we were song birds. Hope I am never that hungry.
                  In Mexico they blend canary in a high speed blender and it makes canary milk. Kind of like almond milk. Supposedly very healthy for you. Also gluten free I think.

Comment

Like flax, you see? Flaxseed in the cattle ration makes for a shiny coat.

Imagine what it will do for your hair...LOL!

Canary seed will doubtlessly produce a lot more Celine Dions...

Comment

I laugh when I hear about boards going on holidays. I spent 6 years at Sask Pulse as a director. 4 years of that time as a director also of Pulse Canada.

I went on three trips outside Canada in 6 years. 10 days in China (Pea demand to China IS a Pulse Canada story 100%, the identified it initially). It's the second largest yellow pea market in the world and while India is being supplied by black sea this fall, china is still buying this fall. We are very fortunate for this work.

Second trip was two days in Morocco on a free trade mission with Ritz. Worst jet lag of my life. I literally didn't sleep for 3 days.

Third trip was pulse conference in Mexico. I would say this is closest to a holiday but it was still 3 days of meetings. Enjoyable but no runaway holiday.

Last three years I logged 40 days per year away from my farm and day job. Plus 20-40 conference calls. It's a big commitment. When I went on the board I didn't even know they paid a per diem. On top of this recorded time I spent countless hours thinking and reading about the work we did. Plus fight the politics of special crops. That was the only bad part. It was hugely rewarding but very taxing time for me personally.

Anyone that thinks $8 million is spent on fluff simply doesn't know what impact the research is having on our demand. Market access (phyto issues), access to federal funds for utilization work. Sales are being made to food companies today. 10 years ago it was 100% commodity. We are lucky this has occurred as Black Sea is going to eat sharply into our traditional markets like India and middle East.

SPG levies are non refundable as it funds the breeding program. We have made huge advancements. Maxim was a massive shift. It is unreasonable that some get to use those genetics for free because they want it refunded.

Comment

Thx for the first hand experience Dave .
                        A lot of people I don't think realize that .
                        Most positions like that are thank less because very few understand the complete picture.

Comment

Thanks for holding a board seat Dave, Just a few questions.
                          How come we cant have one voice Canada pulse, MPG,SPG,APG?
                          Do you think Sask. pulse growers are paying more than Mb or Ab?
                          Have you been paid while holding a position? Do you think it is adequate?
                          Why Is there 26,000,000 surplus sitting in SPG? Is this not a non profit?

Comment

It's too bad that trump has a protectionist policy....in reality we should be looking for common north American groups and transportation routes that benefit the continent including Mexico as a whole....

Tell me why opec and canpotex can demand what they do?

Dont like it but tbeir policies working together work somehow....

Pulses and these boards can't be too much different...

Imagine a pulse producing export countries ...PPEC for short....

Include the Ukraine on pulses so we don't run each other to the bottom price wise. ....

Comment

Just think if a few nations did get together and formed a lentil cartel - like Opec. Think it would work?

Comment

Just think if a few nations did get together and formed a lentil cartel - like Opec. Think it would work?
                                It's already happening. Viterra, Cargil, Etc.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.