• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 billion for a few farmers/corporations announced today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spitballing...

Would this be slightly more palatable if:
    -current landowners were required to pay all costs associated with getting the water from the canal/pipe to their fields as far as setup is concerned.
    -at time of sale, when it happens, current landowner is only entitled to the value of the dryland prior to the establishment of the irrigation district plus accrued inflation of similar dryland plus the out of pocket costs they had to incur? Anything extra would go towards paying back the cost of the infrastructure?

Comment

I sure would have liked to fire up some pumps before we got 1.09 inches with that last rain event!!!

Like bucket says there is barely a bankable risk management program or insurance plan for dryland farmers worth talking about.

A guy in the neighboring community set up a pivot sucking water out of a "marsh", yes a MARSH, that doesn't cover a very very large area. So it basically relies on run-off. But once that shallow marsh is dry it doesn't accumulate water from year to year that made it "look" like a viable source for irrigation.

Oh it gets better.....this person also spear-headed a Consevation and Development Area that would basically move water out of that marsh and water "down" stream" that filled to make the marsh more full ....not decades apart either, at the same time-ish! How can you want both an irrigation source AND move water out down stream at the same time?!?!?!.

One word.....HYDROCEPHALUS

I wish I was making this up because some of my land is being levied for the C&D but am currently furthest away from the ground zero pilot project if the f-en thing EVER gets off the ground. The water course meanders across the highway, railway and a MAJOR pipeline corridor.....4 TIMES!!!!!! Good luck.

So I'm levied C&D tax on land that will never benefit on a nearly impossible development of any work being done on a C&D......because it's in the greater drainage area and a one in 200 year chance it might contribute to downstream flow....lmfao. I agreed I have about 5 quarters that contribute more often but not regularly....but Mr. Hydrocephalus blind-sided me and had 13 quarters out of 16 we own included in the tax roll upon establishment of the C&D.....without consulting me. He learned I can be a valuable co-operative ally but a horrible antagonist!

Even one thin dime of my federal or provincial tax dollars better not have "subsidized" that pivot sucking out of that dry marsh. If it did I want to have a discussion with the person who approved it!!!!

Comment

How about a subscription cost....$500 million for 80000 acres on the west side is 6250 dollars per irrigated acre...

How about the farmer pick up 1500 an acre as a subscription plus post dated cheques every year as a ROI to the province...at 1% ROI on the remaining balance...

4000 an acre at 1% is only 40 bucks an acre....see the recurring theme here....thats what the government is still paying the existing districts...its a no win for the province ...

Every cheque would bounce.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          I sure would have liked to fire up some pumps before we got 1.09 inches with that last rain event!!!

Like bucket says there is barely a bankable risk management program or insurance plan for dryland farmers worth talking about.

A guy in the neighboring community set up a pivot sucking water out of a "marsh", yes a MARSH, that doesn't cover a very very large area. So it basically relies on run-off. But once that shallow marsh is dry it doesn't accumulate water from year to year that made it "look" like a viable source for irrigation.

Oh it gets better.....this person also spear-headed a Consevation and Development Area that would basically move water out of that marsh and water "down" stream" that filled to make the marsh more full ....not decades apart either, at the same time-ish! How can you want both an irrigation source AND move water out down stream at the same time?!?!?!.

One word.....HYDROCEPHALUS

I wish I was making this up because some of my land is being levied for the C&D but am currently furthest away from the ground zero pilot project if the f-en thing EVER gets off the ground. The water course meanders across the highway, railway and a MAJOR pipeline corridor.....4 TIMES!!!!!! Good luck.

So I'm levied C&D tax on land that will never benefit on a nearly impossible development of any work being done on a C&D......because it's in the greater drainage area and a one in 200 year chance it might contribute to downstream flow....lmfao. I agreed I have about 5 quarters that contribute more often but not regularly....but Mr. Hydrocephalus blind-sided me and had 13 quarters out of 16 we own included in the tax roll upon establishment of the C&D.....without consulting me. He learned I can be a valuable co-operative ally but a horrible antagonist!

Even one thin dime of my federal or provincial tax dollars better not have "subsidized" that pivot sucking out of that dry marsh. If it did I want to have a discussion with the person who approved it!!!!
          Go look up the irrigation environmental Efficiency Program on Sask government website....that pivot will be funded up to $300000.00...and with some creative accounting i doubt the farmer will put a penny in on paper ...

And thanks ...I learnt a new word today...too funny.

It also sounds like a Ducks Unlimited project....they are that stupid..
          Last edited by bucket; Jul 2, 2020, 23:41.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Go look up the irrigation environmental Efficiency Program on Sask government website....that pivot will be funded up to $300000.00...and with some creative accounting i doubt the farmer will put a penny in on paper ...

Would any funding for that project be recorded and published in the Sask Gov Public Accounts or is it hidden and lumped together with others to make them indistinguishable?

Hydrocephalus.....lol, I have a creative mind some days.

Comment

Privacy would probably prevent finding the amounts or people receiving the funding. ...

Make no mistake irrigation is the highest subsidized farming in the country..

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                If you're from Sask, your current Premier was Minister responsible for "SaskWater". Who oversees Conservation and Development projects..... Phone or write Moe.
                Yes, irrigation brought to you by the same person who f**ked up my drainage.

Comment

Interesting thoughts posted.

Maybe it’s wiser to just divert the south sask to the usa? No compensation required, but they can build it.

Don’t forget to shut the lights off.

Janzen potash mine cost 4 Billion, yes their money, or some of it.

Future wealth isn’t created by Covid type shut downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                    Interesting thoughts posted.

Maybe it’s wiser to just divert the south sask to the usa? No compensation required, but they can build it.

Don’t forget to shut the lights off.

Janzen potash mine cost 4 Billion, yes their money, or some of it.

Future wealth isn’t created by Covid type shut downs.
                    They have been saying that for quite a while but quite amazingly dryland farmers who get zero support keep producing to help the economy....

No dryland farmer is receiving 40 bucks an acre for the next 5 years....

Future wealth isn't created by government spending on stupid shit like this....Nothing stopped a group of farmers from using their own money to do the west side project or completing it in the last 40 years except the fact that someone other than the few farmers would have to pay for it.....
                    Last edited by bucket; Jul 3, 2020, 16:09.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

DU is the cause of ALL Quill Lakes floodingcostly everyone one of us MILLIONS in road upgrades...in 2005 OMG the Ducks don't have enough water...F*CK the ducks azzholes!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.