• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenney address

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenney address

Not quite like King Ralph but a page from the book. More info in a believable voice than uh, uh, uh you know who could ever act out.
    Projection numbers have peak into May. Lockdown April at least.
    Real numbers 800000. Distancing till end of May. $20B deficit.
    %25 unemployment possible. Called out Ottawa on foreign flights and said we'll put in our own restrictions. Total case numbers expected higher than think. Curve following S Korea tho. Foresee negative oil prices.
    He's gotta have a fireside chat every week lol.
    Last edited by blackpowder; Apr 7, 2020, 18:49.

Yes the projections of as many as 3300 deaths, the $20 billion dollar deficit and 25% unemployment are certainly a wake up call. If you are Jason Kenney a politician that got elected promising lower deficits, more jobs and getting pipelines built so that we can market more oil the Ovid-19 virus has basically blown it all up. The immediate human cost and then the long term effects on our economy are undoubtedly disturbing. Fortunately my cows are keeping me well entertained and I don't have much time to dwell on the uncertain future.

Comment

Listened to Kenney address this AM on https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/ Given the positive comments about Kenney speech on here I expected some direction and plans to cope with the current situation, yet all he delivers in his speech is despair and excuses.

I cannot believe his comments starting at 11:30 mark where he states: Western Canadian oil in the last week has fallen as low as $3.00/barrel. There is a very real possibility that as global inventories overflow our energy will hit negative prices. We will be paying people to take away our energy.

No wonder so many on this list like him. He follows the same production model many posters do. Produce more if prices are low. However, he even goes one step further than most farmers - raising the possibility of Alberta paying people to take away our oil. Wow! Most farmers will at least reduce production when production costs exceed variable costs, Kenney actually raises possibility of not only giving away production but paying people to take it.

Couple this with the 1 plus billion Alberta just announced spending on XL plus another 6 billion in loan guarantees to sell our resources at below cost of production? At least Trudeau bought an existing pipeline first that is still generating revenues with 4 billion. And you think Kenney is a better money manager? or even a Conservative? Ha Ha.

He talks of diversifying the economy but he has now totally disseminated Alberta agriculture. He has cut every department except energy. What a joke.

Comment

i merely commented that he uh, duh, umm, umm, dah , speaks clearly

Comment

Good thing Tech Resources project, Energy East, Northern Gateway projects have all been chased away by the Trudeau-Butts clown show. Hopefully the enviro-kook friends of Butts don’t get their way with the TransMountain pipeline.

History will be hard on these Western Canada hating traitors.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
            Listened to Kenney address this AM on https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/ Given the positive comments about Kenney speech on here I expected some direction and plans to cope with the current situation, yet all he delivers in his speech is despair and excuses.

I cannot believe his comments starting at 11:30 mark where he states: Western Canadian oil in the last week has fallen as low as $3.00/barrel. There is a very real possibility that as global inventories overflow our energy will hit negative prices. We will be paying people to take away our energy.

No wonder so many on this list like him. He follows the same production model many posters do. Produce more if prices are low. However, he even goes one step further than most farmers - raising the possibility of Alberta paying people to take away our oil. Wow! Most farmers will at least reduce production when production costs exceed variable costs, Kenney actually raises possibility of not only giving away production but paying people to take it.

Couple this with the 1 plus billion Alberta just announced spending on XL plus another 6 billion in loan guarantees to sell our resources at below cost of production? At least Trudeau bought an existing pipeline first that is still generating revenues with 4 billion. And you think Kenney is a better money manager? or even a Conservative? Ha Ha.

He talks of diversifying the economy but he has now totally disseminated Alberta agriculture. He has cut every department except energy. What a joke.

Yes unfortunately Kenney had nothing new in his speech. Going to need some new ideas. He is subsidizing XL as I am sure that the economics of this project is negative just like the bungled trans mountain pipeline.

Comment

The time to upgrade the farm is when wheat is $9.00
              If you don't good luck at $4.00
              If you blame the markets all the time and do nothing ever, you won't be farming long. Same thing for letting others tell you what to plant.
              Govts have done both. Some want us to pack er in.
              How would you fix the oil industry by doing nothing ever?? Following outsiders interests?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                The time to upgrade the farm is when wheat is $9.00
                If you don't good luck at $4.00
                If you blame the markets all the time and do nothing ever, you won't be farming long. Same thing for letting others tell you what to plant.
                Govts have done both. Some want us to pack er in.
                How would you fix the oil industry by doing nothing ever?? Following outsiders interests?

Best time to upgrade is 5 years into $4 wheat.

Save and invest the profits from $9 so it's like $13 wheat when you go to buy land equipment and bins at $4 prices

Comment

I will agree on certain points, disagree on others. From a transparency standpoint Jason Kenney is at least willing to share government projections unlike Justin Trudeau who is not. Jason Kenney is certainly easier to listen to and better at answering impromptu questions.

As far as investing in the XL pipeline I believe it is beneficial to get as much done as possible before the fall election in the U.S.

Governments in Alberta have been discussing diversification for decades. Many government investments have been made with limited success. The biggest problem in Alberta is that voters have had many years where oil royalties have contributed as much as 25% of government revenues. Voters therefore refuse to entertain the imposition of a sales tax which would provide a more consistent source of revenue. I do agree that cutting funding to agricultural programs is wrong and short sighted. The fact remains the post covid-19 era will be less prosperous regardless of which province you live in in Canada.

Comment

You have to understand he is trying to explain the situation to a large segment of the population that thinks money grows on government trees. As depressing as it sounds you have to hammer home what the problem is because people just dont get it. Most of us as farmers understand economics and consequences of production and prices, a lot of people are oblivious to financial facts. Hopefully some will listen and understand that with no dollars coming in that the government handouts and unnessecary spending needs to be stopped or at least reduced.

DML you say farmers are smart enough to cut back production but I say when have we ever seen that. You are wrong, low prices means you need to produce more bushels to most people. And to say you would stop production if was negative again is not true, fortunately ag has not quite seen that... yet. But think about it if all of a sudden there was a "no bid" in July for grain would you still harvest it? I bet you would. If there were a "no bid" before seeding do you seed anyways hoping for improvement or do you summerfallow, with costs of tillage or chem? Wouldn't both of those choices being the same as what you are criticizing - taking a business loss while operating? Those big mines with thousands of employees and billions of investment can't just turn the tap off because its Wednesday and then turn it back on the following week when prices change, or if they moth ball it they still have huge costs to produce nothing.

I do however agree that the Kenney government is too focused on oil and almost feel offended as a farmer that we get dismissed often as I think we do our part keeping the economy rolling. FT. McMurray and some of those other real oil towns are for sure sustained by oil but how many towns would be left accross the prairies without ag?

Sometimes I think we all need to keep quiet and let the "chosen" ones do their jobs. Often even though we think we know better we may not.

Comment

Why was the oil industry not making hay while the sun shone?
                      The anti oil lobby had nothing to do with it???
                      Govt squandering in good times is a separate issue.
                      Rachel Suzuki Fonda better lay low for a while.
                      We'll need all the income we can get while the getting is good. That's business. Good luck taxing dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post

DML you say farmers are smart enough to cut back production but I say when have we ever seen that. You are wrong, low prices means you need to produce more bushels to most people. And to say you would stop production if was negative again is not true, fortunately ag has not quite seen that... yet. But think about it if all of a sudden there was a "no bid" in July for grain would you still harvest it? I bet you would. If there were a "no bid" before seeding do you seed anyways hoping for improvement or do you summerfallow, with costs of tillage or chem? Wouldn't both of those choices being the same as what you are criticizing - taking a business loss while operating? Those big mines with thousands of employees and billions of investment can't just turn the tap off because its Wednesday and then turn it back on the following week when prices change, or if they moth ball it they still have huge costs to produce nothing.

Read what I said again. It is opposite of you say I said. Most farmers do not cut production as prices fall but prefer to try to increase production volume to account for lower prices thereby maintaining income levels.

However, I know of no farmers who actually pay buyers to take their production which is what Kenney said the oil industry would have to do it prices turn negative. Farmers would rather store grains for years rather than pay a buyer to take it. They already have invested a fortune in growing a crop and certainly would not throw more money away by paying someone to take their production away.

Your analogy of not seeding or harvesting if there is no bid is not comparable. Farmers have invested in that crop and will seed or harvest it but then store it until it can be sold. They will not pay someone simply to get it off the farm. The only comparison that could be made is if they have livestock which die and then they resort to hiring someone to haul the dead animals away. But at this point the livestock have no value, unlike live animals, or grain, or oil for that matter which are all saleable assets, if not now but will have value sometime in the future.. Why would anyone, including Kenney even suggest paying someone to take our assets and resources? You say oil industry cannot afford to not to produce - so how could they afford not only to produce but to actually pay someone to take the production away. His comments were ludicrous.

Comment

Hog producers are forced to continue to produce at a loss or else its bye bye future contracting with the one or two processors.

Comment

DML, where are they gonna store it? We are used to storing a year plus of production. I dont know the numbers but sure it is more like days or weeks at most for the oil companies. I agree doesn't sound like a good production model, but they need to compare it to the other choice of doing a shutdown and restart to see what makes best financial sense, neither of us know that answer.

And the farmer storing grain doesnt always work either. I have 2 neighbor examples I can think of. One was canola in a hopper bin for 7 yrs, still there cause they cant figure how to chip it out, another had piles of feed wheat in the field with only a tarp over it, 2nd year spread it with a shit spreader. And the reality is price can always go lower.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                              DML, where are they gonna store it? We are used to storing a year plus of production. I dont know the numbers but sure it is more like days or weeks at most for the oil companies. I agree doesn't sound like a good production model, but they need to compare it to the other choice of doing a shutdown and restart to see what makes best financial sense, neither of us know that answer.

And the farmer storing grain doesnt always work either. I have 2 neighbor examples I can think of. One was canola in a hopper bin for 7 yrs, still there cause they cant figure how to chip it out, another had piles of feed wheat in the field with only a tarp over it, 2nd year spread it with a shit spreader. And the reality is price can always go lower.
                              We are not talking about oil producers merely meeting production costs. We are talking about Alberta citizens actually paying to give away assets. So would the canola farmer have been further ahead by getting 0 dollars for his canola and actually paying a grain buyer to take it off his hands? Or the wheat farmer not even getting the fertilizer value from his wheat and on top of that having to outlay more cash for a buyer to take his wheat. Because that is what Kenney was suggesting.

You are equating a perishable commodity to oil, which has been in the ground for millions of years. Surely it will keep in the ground and remain a valuable asset until this crisis is over and in my opinion, that is a much better option than Albertans and Canadians paying industry and foreign governments to take it off our hands.
                              Last edited by dmlfarmer; Apr 8, 2020, 21:34.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.