• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many job losses since March 15th?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many job losses since March 15th?

500,000 applications today alone for the government program ...

Oh, it's going to get higher as the days go on. Business doesn't need the number of people they have employed. Most have a bunch of useless people doing nothing really useful. Watch some will be let go because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
      Oh, it's going to get higher as the days go on. Business doesn't need the number of people they have employed. Most have a bunch of useless people doing nothing really useful. Watch some will be let go because of this.
      Agree , but what’s the job losses to date from March 15? Just curious, have not seen job loss data .

Comment

Tip of the iceberg.
        Going to be a mega shit show with lots of people not needed in the future.

Comment

Waiting for the weekly Edmonton Chamber of Commerce survey. Numbers bigger I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
            Tip of the iceberg.
            Going to be a mega shit show with lots of people not needed in the future.
            Not directed at you Partners...

But sometimes I gotta wonder if what I professed about parasites isn't going to come home to roost and become reality.

There's no way some employees were adding any value or even doing enough to cover their yearly stipend.

Abundance begets waste.... I really don't think this is going to end well.

Ag More Than Ever....LMFAO

In fact Ag will likely be one of the shining stars, with a tightly cinched belt.

I wonder what the Unifor Upgrader Troops are thinking?

Hospitality and Restaurant Industry?

Auto Industry?

Recreation and Leisure Industry?

Home Builders Associtions?

Maybe all those Industries will feel Oil & Gases pain.

I guess we'll have to do "make work" projects, like build stadiums and bypasses(Sask), build pipelines, rebuild crumbling road infrastructure, build solar panels and windmills for the clean energy green ecenomy, build processing facilities for ag commodities, re-open the east coast fishing and whaling industries, open a Q-tip factory, invent stuff, or just cryogenically freeze the unemployed until things pick up. But what happens after all those "economy forcing" projects are complete? Any that never had a long term perpetual benefit to them are truly only "bandaids".

Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Not directed at you Partners...

But sometimes I gotta wonder if what I professed about parasites isn't going to come home to roost and become reality.

There's no way some employees were adding any value or even doing enough to cover their yearly stipend.

Abundance begets waste.... I really don't think this is going to end well.

Ag More Than Ever....LMFAO

In fact Ag will likely be one of the shining stars, with a tightly cinched belt.

I wonder what the Unifor Upgrader Troops are thinking?

Hospitality and Restaurant Industry?

Auto Industry?

Recreation and Leisure Industry?

Home Builders Associtions?

Maybe all those Industries will feel Oil & Gases pain.

I guess we'll have to do "make work" projects, like build stadiums and bypasses(Sask), build pipelines, rebuild crumbling road infrastructure, build solar panels and windmills for the clean energy green ecenomy, build processing facilities for ag commodities, re-open the east coast fishing and whaling industries, open a Q-tip factory, invent stuff, or just cryogenically freeze the unemployed until things pick up. But what happens after all those "economy forcing" projects are complete? Any that never had a long term perpetual benefit to them are truly only "bandaids".

Yikes.
              I would say it is time to look at things that are needed, water treatment plants, sewer treatment plants overpasses, twin railways you name it. These are at least things that will be used for 50 years.

I always said for small towns I don't know why there wasn't a standard design to save having it re-engineered time after time. The basic treatment is the same, maybe a large scale RO or iron filtration is required. It isn't rocket science. But every project has to have the 15 or 20% "engineering tax" added.

I know that will cause a stir because there are several engineers on here.

Comment

I think anyone working through this will be ok.
                Ones who are layed off are not essential and could be deleted as those business might never open again.
                After it's safe to go outside.
                How long before the public actually does? One week? One month?
                Will there be money to buy toys..cars..fancy restaurants?
                Time will tell..

Comment

Found some info ...
                  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-more-than-three-million-apply-for-covid-19-job-benefits-as-virus/

Other numbers seen ranged from 100,000 to 3.1 million. Huge range . Lots of uncertainty for sure.
                  Not good regardless.

Comment

Feds think they will be paying $2k month for next 4 months. Maybe on 1/2 the applicants. But the other 1/2 is going to be asking for that for much, much longer, as their jobs have vanished.

Then we can start talking about business bankruptcies. Looking forward to some good liquidation sales in the future.

Ford stateside is requesting Feds to reinstate Cash for Clunkers program. Watch for some good deals later this year as GM trucks are currently outselling Ford trucks for first time in 43 years and it is very doubtful that Ford is going to let that happen without a major fight.

Comment

I agree that infrastructure is the way to get things rolling again. Why pay people to do nothing when we should be slamming another rail line through the mountains and putting up some hydro dams. There’s been study’s done on this stuff already and it could pushed through in the name of national interest if we had a leader instead of a gopher popping his head out for more than once a day. Someone like Roosevelt in the Great Depression or Macdonald in laying the CPR is needed.

Just a few miles from us is a perfect spot for a dam (already studied) on the north Saskatchewan .............. maybe then I could get some of Bucket’s beloved irrigation moolah. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                        I agree that infrastructure is the way to get things rolling again. Why pay people to do nothing when we should be slamming another rail line through the mountains and putting up some hydro dams. There’s been study’s done on this stuff already and it could pushed through in the name of national interest if we had a leader instead of a gopher popping his head out for more than once a day. Someone like Roosevelt in the Great Depression or Macdonald in laying the CPR is needed.

Just a few miles from us is a perfect spot for a dam (already studied) on the north Saskatchewan .............. maybe then I could get some of Bucket’s beloved irrigation moolah. 😉
                        Woodland...

If you think irrigation will pay ...do some math on it ..not just from the money point but the work involved as well...

And if you think it pays ...why do you need government money?

The guys around here are still being subsidized 40 bucks an acre for the next 5 years and it will be longer...they say they can't afford the 120 an acre for water delivery....interestingly they can afford a shed full of dryland farming equipment every second year....

They are worse than dairy farmers...I don't want to put you in that category Woodland...

My idea for irrigation is get a bunch of guys together in a room that will benefit from it and then ask them to write a check for a non refundable subscription to infill the acres in a set time frame...see who will write the cheques for the study and the soil approval investigations....if you can't get that cheque....you can't afford irrigation...

The other problem with irrigation is they never put a performance standard on the government money invested ...like ensuring they will grow higher value crops than just canola flax peas lentils...yes that is right you read it here ...lentils under irrigation....so they wouldn't have to water...3500 acres out of a 10000 acre project in 2016 were lentils...

If a Nebraska farmer ever understands the value of lentils and less water use for their pivots in that area...I think you could kiss the pulse industry good bye in Canada ...

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post

Funded by what? The money tree at 23 Sussex?

Various provincial utilities have already done the hydro dam thing. Now they are stuck with white elephants producing power that has to be sold at a loss. You propose to do more of the same?

Comment

The new normal will have official unemployment between 10 -15% in the future with actual rates closer to 30%. Mega project will just make the bankruptcy of the country sooner because of the lack of demand for the product. Muskat Falls has bankrupted NewFoundland for example. We will have lot of cheap hydroelectric power once site C comes online to compliment our cheap nat gas power. Aging populations don't need stuff. I visited the Hover dam a couple of months ago. It was not envisioned as a depression era project and it came on line just as a big switch to electrification was underway so its success was largely coincidental. There are make work projects in AB already. The current largest one is the Heartland petrochemical plant at Fort Sask. It was conceived by Rachel Notley to deal with the problem of free propane which happens every year in June by turning propane into plastic. It is a consortium of Interpipeline and the Alberta Government. Maybe it will make single use shopping bags. It is bankrupting IPL shareholder. Obviously propane is not free during grain drying season in Noivember, December, January, and February.

Comment

I think there is no doubt that the level of immediate job loss will be hard to fathom. The question is how long will it take for the restaurant industry, the retail industry, the tourism industry, the airline industry to start to recover and how many businesses and jobs are permanently gone. The Cannibus industry in Canada is downsizing right now at a rapid rate as well. Will the unemployment rate settle out at 10%, 12% or higher very difficult to know. When things start to return to a semblance of normal will governments have any room for additional spending? Will a guaranteed minimum income be necessary and how will governments pay for it? Governing in the next year and beyond will be fraught with many questions and few answers and I fear few of our present leaders are up to the task. Having said that I certainly don't have the answers either except that I hope that in country manufacturing experiences a huge rennaissance!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.