• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario Destroys 55 million N95 Masks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ontario Destroys 55 million N95 Masks

Can't make this stuff up!
    https://www.toronto.com/opinion-story/9916365-ontario-stockpiled-55-million-face-masks-then-destroyed-them/ https://www.toronto.com/opinion-story/9916365-ontario-stockpiled-55-million-face-masks-then-destroyed-them/

Just absolutely nuts!

Common sense is dead.

Comment

I would venture a guess it has a lot to do with overregulation in canada ? Best before dates ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        I would venture a guess it has a lot to do with overregulation in canada ? Best before dates ?
        Ya think maybe. If there is any upside to this Liberal-induced fiasco, it may be that some regulations will be struck down, since their negative consequences will be made obvious.

Is any medical staff checking the best-before date on a mask before walking into emerge or the O.R.?

Cannot replace that number in a short time. I read today that it took 25 days to retool plants in Taiwan for producing masks. They can now produce 9-10 million a day.

Comment

The answer to this was in the article. Someone should have monitored the supply and rotated in fresh masks and used the ones coming up to expiry before they need to be destroyed.

It is called inventory management. So again another example of why government can't manage anything better than private entities.

Shitty management and no accountability.

Comment

I wore a "pink" grain dust mask and black grease monkey gloves today when I got groceries in Regina.
            I wasn't the only one wearing a mask and gloves.....but I was the only person wearing a pink one...lol.

Felt a bit out of place, I bet less than 10 % of people were wearing masks.

Oh yeah, in keeping with the theme of the thread.....I have no idea how old those things are!

Comment

I worked 20 years in icu/ccu/respiratory. Think i only saw an N95 used a few times in severe cased isolation rooms. No hospital logistics system would be prepared to handle 1,000,000 times the PPE requirement covid has sprung on them. IF you come in with a sprained ankle today, as a doctor you have to assume they are a carrier. That makes for a lot of PPE as you have to remove the previous PPE from the previous patient who actually had covid to not infect ankle guy.

So do you spend money to replace equipment, staff, drugs.... you use every day, or a warehouse of PPE no one ever uses? These are hard decisions when there isn't enough budget to properly run a hospital, let alone stock pile and maintain a stock pile.

Easy for us arm chair pundits to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                I worked 20 years in icu/ccu/respiratory. Think i only saw an N95 used a few times in severe cased isolation rooms. No hospital logistics system would be prepared to handle 1,000,000 times the PPE requirement covid has sprung on them. IF you come in with a sprained ankle today, as a doctor you have to assume they are a carrier. That makes for a lot of PPE as you have to remove the previous PPE from the previous patient who actually had covid to not infect ankle guy.

So do you spend money to replace equipment, staff, drugs.... you use every day, or a warehouse of PPE no one ever uses? These are hard decisions when there isn't enough budget to properly run a hospital, let alone stock pile and maintain a stock pile.

Easy for us arm chair pundits to judge.
                True, but if you are in the military everything is a stockpile. This is insurance for a calamity. Now I am not saying you spring a million PPE out of storage every year just before they expire. But if the estimated need was to have that many they do have to be managed, not forgotten.

Either you use or surplus sell the PPE before expiry and the cost is the cost of insurance. Or at first sign of flu happening you enact the emergency plan to build stocks of PPE. But not buy a warehouse full and a few years later chuck them in the dump and don't replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  I wore a "pink" grain dust mask and black grease monkey gloves today when I got groceries in Regina.
                  I wasn't the only one wearing a mask and gloves.....but I was the only person wearing a pink one...lol.

Felt a bit out of place, I bet less than 10 % of people were wearing masks.

Oh yeah, in keeping with the theme of the thread.....I have no idea how old those things are!
                  Lol, I got the Green Monkey gloves 🧤, the 4 mil ones for shopping . Got them a few weeks back.
                  Just went in , only a few with gloves and no masks at grocery store.
                  Everyone doing the social distance thing very well actually 👍.
                  Masks are near impossible to find .
                  I kinda don’t get how those masks can really have a best before date especially if never opened ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Lol, I got the Green Monkey gloves 🧤, the 4 mil ones for shopping . Got them a few weeks back.
                    Just went in , only a few with gloves and no masks at grocery store.
                    Everyone doing the social distance thing very well actually 👍.
                    Masks are near impossible to find .
                    I kinda don’t get how those masks can really have a best before date especially if never opened ?
                    The one comment that I saw was that the elastic became brittle and broke. I thought that only happened on my farm.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                      True, but if you are in the military everything is a stockpile. This is insurance for a calamity. Now I am not saying you spring a million PPE out of storage every year just before they expire. But if the estimated need was to have that many they do have to be managed, not forgotten.

Either you use or surplus sell the PPE before expiry and the cost is the cost of insurance. Or at first sign of flu happening you enact the emergency plan to build stocks of PPE. But not buy a warehouse full and a few years later chuck them in the dump and don't replace them.
                      I guess it's like the Dr from Taiwan said, having been thru it a few times, as a society you learn.

It is so hard to always do the right thing without the benefit of hindsight.

Comment

I sometimes wondering if we haven’t built a system we can’t sustain. Government regulations, business regulations, costs are out of hand and our system is unprepared for a situation like this. People are not prepared for any kind of catastrophe. U ask any older person why they kept a couple deep freezes full of food from their gardens and they will tell u about not being able to go to the store and get it. Being hungry at times, having to do with out and or improvising to survive. Our young people don’t have a clue what it takes save themselves because they never have had to. Tough times ahead if people don’t prioritize what is important and what isn’t.

Comment

was looking at some fat prairie chickens on the road today
                          they looked tasty
                          we will be ok way out here
                          NYC. , downtown Toronto, Montreal,Vancouver, not so much

Comment

Red lentils⬆️

Comment

Maybe funding cuts, they had to cut somewhere.
                              No one in charge of it or no one knows who is in
                              Charge.
                              Screwups , around here, It would be nice to blame
                              Someone, but it comes down to me.
                              Except the years the Railroads can't haul

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.