• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something unrelated to COVID, climate change, politics, etc......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
    Just reading market report beef this week

Blacks with calves at foot depending on age of mother around the $27 to $2900

Bear in mind herd rebuild after years of drought in some areas
    Not many pairs trading here yet but there might be a lot if the green up doesn't last or come in some of the extreme dry areas.

Friend selling some nice 2nd calvers for $2200.

See they sold bred cows in east central Alberta for $1100 to $2600 ave $2200.

The $1100 is the cull cow price.

Are your cull prices not a lot better than that now?

They say fats have been trading around $1.14 usd for the last 6 weeks with strong box price that justifies probably 1/3 more to fat price.

Strong advantage to packer at this time due to some limits to kill capacity.
    Last edited by shtferbrains; Mar 14, 2021, 12:54.

Comment

Read another thing today that, as soon as read, makes you go duh! Yet can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone use it as a check. Especially the leg crossing one. I’ll definitely be using it for the heifers I’m paranoid about!

Entire article can be found here: http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/2021/02feb21/0221mg_CheckCow.html

Comment

[QUOTE=shtferbrains;490024]Not many pairs trading here yet but there might be a lot if the green up doesn't last or come in some of the extreme dry areas.

Angus steers weighing 360-450kg sold from $4.34-$5.04/kg, with 360-450kg coloured steers making from $4.33-$5.33/kg. Angus steers from 320-360kg sold from $4.83-$5.60/kg, and coloured steers in the same weight range sold from $4.11-$5.34/kg.

Lighter Angus steers, 280-320kg, sold from $4.98-$5.99/kg, while coloured steers in this weight range made $3.54-$6.20/kg. Angus steers under 280kg sold for $5.64-$7.57/kg and the lightest coloured steers returned $4.85-$7.37/kg.

Local producer Leigh Kent, Kent Props, Millicent, paid the top price/kg of $7.57 - equating to $1430 a head - for 21 Pasturefed Cattle Assurance System-eligible, September-October 2020-drop, Boonaroo, Banquet and Dollar Angus-blood Angus steers weighing 189kg from Muntham, Carapook Vic.

Muntham's draft of 154 steers, weighing 189-235kg, averaged $1530.

Dismal Swamp, Lyons, Vic, sold 80 rising two-year-old Angus steers, 567-588kg, for an average of $2301 and once again hit the top steer price at $2380 or $4.05/kg with a 588kg draft sold to Hopkins River.

Savannah Simmentals, Lucindale, sold 31 PCAS Simmental-cross steers, weighing 230kg at six months old, at $1490 or $6.48/kg to CK Collins.

Twenty-eight cows with calves at-foot sold to $3400, with the top money paid by John Chay & Co, Millicent, for three Angus-Friesian cows with three Charolais CAF from VR Kent, Millicent.

Green Triangle Livestock paid $3000 for five black baldy cows with six Angus CAF from RT&R Paltridge .
        Last edited by malleefarmer; Mar 16, 2021, 04:21.

Comment

[QUOTE=malleefarmer;490166]
          Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
          Not many pairs trading here yet but there might be a lot if the green up doesn't last or come in some of the extreme dry areas.

Angus steers weighing 360-450kg sold from $4.34-$5.04/kg, with 360-450kg coloured steers making from $4.33-$5.33/kg. Angus steers from 320-360kg sold from $4.83-$5.60/kg, and coloured steers in the same weight range sold from $4.11-$5.34/kg.

Lighter Angus steers, 280-320kg, sold from $4.98-$5.99/kg, while coloured steers in this weight range made $3.54-$6.20/kg. Angus steers under 280kg sold for $5.64-$7.57/kg and the lightest coloured steers returned $4.85-$7.37/kg.

Local producer Leigh Kent, Kent Props, Millicent, paid the top price/kg of $7.57 - equating to $1430 a head - for 21 Pasturefed Cattle Assurance System-eligible, September-October 2020-drop, Boonaroo, Banquet and Dollar Angus-blood Angus steers weighing 189kg from Muntham, Carapook Vic.

Muntham's draft of 154 steers, weighing 189-235kg, averaged $1530.

Dismal Swamp, Lyons, Vic, sold 80 rising two-year-old Angus steers, 567-588kg, for an average of $2301 and once again hit the top steer price at $2380 or $4.05/kg with a 588kg draft sold to Hopkins River.

Savannah Simmentals, Lucindale, sold 31 PCAS Simmental-cross steers, weighing 230kg at six months old, at $1490 or $6.48/kg to CK Collins.

Twenty-eight cows with calves at-foot sold to $3400, with the top money paid by John Chay & Co, Millicent, for three Angus-Friesian cows with three Charolais CAF from VR Kent, Millicent.

Green Triangle Livestock paid $3000 for five black baldy cows with six Angus CAF from RT&R Paltridge .
          Your prices are higher than here Mallee. I imagine the fat price is better too.

Covid has been the perfect excuse for the packers to keep a lid on prices here. No or little competition doesn’t do us any favours either. Hopefully things pick up or this expensive grain is going to make things more interesting yet. 😉

Comment

Yesterday was my amazing wife’s birthday so I took her out on a romantic shopping trip. Swung by a great little drive thru diner and grabbed lunch and then went to check out some bulls. Ended up getting four and I told her one was from each of the kids and I. 😉

The folks we bought the bulls from told us a birthday story too. It was in August with a lot of baling to do and the old baler tractor died on her birthday. He went to town and picked out a much nicer newer tractor and then went home. He mentioned to his newly married wife and MIL that they could go bring it home if they’d like. His wife was quite excited about it but he said the MIL would have probably killed him given the chance. Some people don’t have a great sense of humour...........

I ordered this a little while ago for her special day and it hasn’t shown up yet but I’m looking forward to it. It should hopefully be here in time before calving...........😎

Comment

I got this one a couple weeks ago.

Comment

The sorry for what I said reminds of when my BIL's boys were helping process and the 8 yr old came out with some colorful encouragement to get them moving.
                My somewhat shocked wife reprimanded him for the uncharacteristic language. He replied it was ok to use those words when working cattle as everybody did even if they never swore any other time.
                Hard to argue with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                  I got this one a couple weeks ago.

That is very personalized article 😉

Very cool

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.