• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian grain act ...review

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
    What do farmers want? Do they want the elevators to set the rules and run the whole thing their way? Just close the CGC office.
    I would like it if I call the CGC instead of them saying " sell it subject to CGC grading" they get in their vehicles and drive out to see WTF the complaint is about...

And if you call and ask why Moose Jaw Viterra doesnt have a scale after 100 years of operation....they go out and issue a notice...

Otherwise they may as well let the grain industry regulate themselves....FFS.

Regulations not enforced is inexcusable...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      I would like it if I call the CGC instead of them saying " sell it subject to CGC grading" they get in their vehicles and drive out to see WTF the complaint is about...

And if you call and ask why Moose Jaw Viterra doesnt have a scale after 100 years of operation....they go out and issue a notice...

Otherwise they may as well let the grain industry regulate themselves....FFS.

Regulations not enforced is inexcusable...
      Your singing to the choir!

But lets have some constructive discussion how to change it. The minister of AG is giving us opportunity to voice our opinion lets do that. I don't think throwing the baby out with the bath water again is the right answer. There was some changes made 4 or 5 years ago that cost farmers over 100 million dollars and luckily the change of gov't caught it. Lets not let that kind of mismanagement happen again because as proven nobody pays for screw up except farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
        Your singing to the choir!

But lets have some constructive discussion how to change it. The minister of AG is giving us opportunity to voice our opinion lets do that. I don't think throwing the baby out with the bath water again is the right answer. There was some changes made 4 or 5 years ago that cost farmers over 100 million dollars and luckily the change of gov't caught it. Lets not let that kind of mismanagement happen again because as proven nobody pays for screw up except farmers.
        Yes I know but try explaining that to a politician that says..." cant get involved in private business " and then explain the fact that is what the CGC is supposed to be doing.....

Its a bit of a run around...

Comment

Yes I know but try explaining that to a politician that says..." cant get involved in private business " and then explain the fact that is what the CGC is supposed to be doing.....

Its a bit of a run around...
          Believe me I know and understand. Part of the problem is lack of knowledge of rights and responsibilities of each part of the industry. How many people from farmers through to elevators to end users have ever even looked at the rule book (grain act) The CGC has all power to control the industry but nobody uses it. How do we change that? Writing a new ACT is note going to change it.

Comment

All good points.
            We seem to have a legacy of mistrust and antagonism in the industry between producers, handlers, and regulators.
            As with the board, a scorched earth restart might be the way to rid ourselves of that legacy.
            The free market works if we let it. Collusion indictments and settlements indicate this. We can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormin View Post
              You know it's funny, the first time I got one of these grain purchase agreements, not that many years ago, I did like a person would do with any normal contract, like say a building lease or some thing like that. I scratched out all the lines or sentences that I didn't like, and initialed the change, and added a few of my own conditions. Well when I presented this to the grain buyer he was floored. He told me you don't have the option to change the contract, you sign it as it is, and if you didn't sign the contract I would never sell grain there again.
              OK, now I see farmers face, so now I just make extra sure of my grade, delivery points and as many things as I do have control over as I can. What else can a person do?
              I did the same thing with crossing out lines I didn't like....couldnt sign a contract at home for close to a year...had to go to elevator and sign it....basically the same line...you cant change a contract.

Comment

Also being discussed in other circles: getting the CGC out of export inspection so the terminals can hire their own inspectors( conflict of interest?) and combining several minor classes of wheat into one catch-all category.

Comment

What do you think happens now??

Comment

Originally posted by CptnObvious View Post
                    Also being discussed in other circles: getting the CGC out of export inspection so the terminals can hire their own inspectors( conflict of interest?) and combining several minor classes of wheat into one catch-all category.
                    You bring up a good point...
                    I am not sure why there was another class of wheat brought in to cover off de-registered wheat with the CNHR....

Also I notice there is no protein scales for durum and some graincos are now buying durum 2CWAD or better...

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      What do you think happens now??
                      The CGC MUST inspect all export vessels for grade and dockage. About 80% of loads are also inspected by private agents for other factors - falling #, etc.

Comment

The CGC MUST inspect all export vessels for grade and dockage. About 80% of loads are also inspected by private agents for other factors - falling #, etc.
                        Where did you get the 80% number from? I asked when I was on port tour and nobody would say they said that was confidential. Just like how many cars are showing up at port that don't make the grade specs that are suppose to be in the car. Or the audit reports of the dockage taken by elevators compared to the actual dockage at port or removed.

Comment

Another problem I see for local elevators within their own company is,,, they clean and grade to inspected standards and they still have to worry about the unload at the coast...

Its mind numbing ....Cleaned grain loaded on a train should be ready for direct loading on a vessel...CGC involved or not...

Comment

Another problem I see for local elevators within their own company is,,, they clean and grade to inspected standards and they still have to worry about the unload at the coast...

Its mind numbing ....Cleaned grain loaded on a train should be ready for direct loading on a vessel...CGC involved or not...
                            Unload inspection (inward inspection) at port is optional CGC doesn't do it anymore the only reason I can see that the grain companies hire 3rd party (SGS etc.) is they don't trust their own elevator graders to grade accurately. But they can grade good enough to assess your grain.

Comment

An SGS certificate tells the buyer it meets certain specs. SGS is the world's largest certifier in all commodities i believe.
                              Canadian grades dont really mean anything outside of Winnipeg or our imaginations.
                              Although they have a use in predicting certain milling and baking characteristics.
                              Currently we are paying for a CGC inspector to issue a cert that isn't used and collect volume data that isn't published adequately. And they have a surplus.
                              I also wonder why the local loop track terminal has one large HRS and one CPS bin when the majority of its shipments are wheat.
                              Producers getting paid or discounted for qualities is where the cgc grading system belongs. It needs to align with how its sold. Funny, since board gone most of my wheat has been bought as one grade.
                              I believe we're paying for duplication of services, antiquated specs, outdated pmnt insurances and poor export reports.
                              These are just my beliefs and if anyone has info to clarify where i am wrong, that is the use of this forum.
                              Not a platform to perpetuate a pre information age us or them mindset.
                              Burn it down and start over. We have a few big issues to work on in this industry and we dither on this one as if it were 1950.

Comment

Farmers and farm reps...dither on every issue...

Its been 9 years since the conservatives gutted agristability and in the 9 years participation has dropped right off....and farm groups are still promoting it....scrap it...

Same goes for the CGC if they cant get their shit together...130 million and when you ask a question they say to blackball yourself by telling the elevator to sell it subject to grade....I dont get the probed sample to look at from 50 feet away...stupid. I have no idea what goes in their sample bag....Cant enter an elevator's grading room...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.