• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Provincial Crop insurance premiums revisited ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Provincial Crop insurance premiums revisited ?

Why cant we just keep this simple ? Everyone grows canola so lets just compare apples to apples ?
    Last year in sask we paid $10.96/ac for $435 , 39.9 bpa , coverage our share , ordinary canola . We have about 35% experience discount .now we will be able to add pst onto it !
    can people in alberta ,ne bc , man and ontario compare canola premiums please? It seems everytime its brought up it gets complicated or someone bullshits or derails it

2016 rates - Central AB, 80% or 32bpa and $355.74 per acre coverage. $15.42 per acre including 28% discount.
    I think everyone here takes hail endorsement that adds $32.27 for a total of $47.69/ac for $355.74. There are hail line companies but do very little business here, cheaper to add extra straight hail with afsc if you want to.

Don't quite understand the comments on the too wet to seed acres for you SK guys. It's included here annually as long as acres are declared. Only claimed once but believe it continues following years.

Comment

We pay extra to bump it up to 100$ /ac same seeding intensity rules apply . I think we pay $1.50 /ac. But that is a guess I can check tommorow. We cannot buy spot loss hail ins with crop ins

Comment

2017 rates all quoted at 80% with 15% discount all on stubble (Saskatchewan)
        Canola-IY 36.7bu/ac, coverage per acre 316.35, premium 17.77 per acre
        Wheat- IY 46.3bu/ac, coverage per acre 216.29, premium 11.87 per acre
        Oats -IY 101.3bu/ac, coverage per acre 206.12, premium 12.80 per acre
        Crop insurance is the biggest tax grab/ extortion going
        Have only been in SCIC for ten years since i decided to stay home and farm and have only collected one time as far as a yield claim and that was in 2012 when we had Asters yellow and then the windcame along and blew the swaths all to hell. Have had two small reseed claims one last year for cutworms and the year before for frost
        Damged canola. So if I have had only one yield claim in ten years and my averages are above area averages how is it that my discount is only 15%. I read that some of you have upwards of a 30-50% discount. Now I have to add another 6% to my cost, going to drop cereals and really thinking about getting out all together, but kinda chicken shit.

Comment

In southern Alberta here are an example or coverage at 80% and premium at 38% discount. Which is the most you can get. Malt barely $320 coverage $8.8. Canola $360 coverage is $19.50. Durum coverage $293 is $7.80 We can add hail endorsement to cover those same numbers with a different premium $8.17, $16.17and $7.59 respectively and then add straight hail on top of that. So no straight hail but crop insurance and hail endorsement on canola for $360 coverage would cost almost $36 an acre. I've been told Ab has better crop insurance then sask.
          Last edited by vvalk; Mar 27, 2017, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
            2016 rates - Central AB, 80% or 32bpa and $355.74 per acre coverage. $15.42 per acre including 28% discount.
            I think everyone here takes hail endorsement that adds $32.27 for a total of $47.69/ac for $355.74. There are hail line companies but do very little business here, cheaper to add extra straight hail with afsc if you want to.

Don't quite understand the comments on the too wet to seed acres for you SK guys. It's included here annually as long as acres are declared. Only claimed once but believe it continues following years.
            GDR I'm curious to see your rates cheaper. The $19.50 for canola includes all the other discounts on top of the 0.62 including early pay which brings the total discount to 50%. wouldnt everyone have he same base rate at the beginning?

Comment

West Central, MB, C class soil, with 20% discount, for canola, $407.81/acre coverage for $7.63/acre. That's at 80% coverage level covering 38.7 bu/acre. You can add $200 acre more for hail insurance for an additional 8.84/acre or add $160 more for $7.07/acre.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyFarmer View Post
                West Central, MB, C class soil, with 20% discount, for canola, $407.81/acre coverage for $7.63/acre. That's at 80% coverage level covering 38.7 bu/acre. You can add $200 acre more for hail insurance for an additional 8.84/acre or add $160 more for $7.07/acre.
                Base price for Ontario canola is $14.17 at 80% with a floating rate, then work your discount or surcharge from there

Comment

Originally posted by vvalk View Post
                  GDR I'm curious to see your rates cheaper. The $19.50 for canola includes all the other discounts on top of the 0.62 including early pay which brings the total discount to 50%. wouldnt everyone have he same base rate at the beginning?
                  Vvalk, every risk area is different. My crop insurance rate is less than yours but my hail rate is double in our examples. I have one field in risk area 6, everything else is risk area 7 which is the rates I showed. Risk area 6 is $10 per acre higher base rate on canola yet $3 cheaper on hail endorsement. That one field is across the pavement from another but they gotta draw a line somewhere. I'm guessing you just had a typo but the early pay discount is only 2% and that still comes off my numbers.

Anybody renting land on a risk area boundary maybe should look at how insurance rates differ could be significant at times.

It still hurts to pay the premium but sure wouldn't go without it here. No complaints with AFSC other than adjusters often are around at harvest time for early season storms.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.