• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNA testing services...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNA testing services...

I have a bit of a problem with these services. But I guess if you're not guilty of anything or have anything hide what's the harm? I wouldn't voluntarily provide my finger prints for no good reason. I don't think law enforcement could take finger prints unless you faced criminal charges, it would be an invasion of privacy or maybe even "unconstitutional". Now people "pay" to submit their DNA for analysis "voluntarily"... likely with the "promise" it is secure with the testing company. I would bet those data bases are accessed for criminal investigation purposes.

Do the various types of DNA testing provide accurate information about where your ancestors came from or just a ball park area? How far back. People were also nomadic to some extent. Interbreeding through conquest or otherwise. Even specific tests for maternal and paternal lineage don't seem to be read the same or need different interpretation. What about genetic predisposition to disease and health problems.

I guess it could be a wonderful tool to genealogy if there are matches, but....

https://www.familytreemagazine.com/premium/dna-fact-or-science-fiction/ Interesting read

This is what the basic test will show, this is mine from paternal.Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Screen Capture #024 - 'Y-DNA - Migration Maps' - www_familytreedna_com_my_y-dna-migrati.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	767033

Comment

Very handy tool for us that are serious about genealogy. Good for about 8-10 generations back. Very accurate within first 4-5 generations. I know it certainly has helped me reach out to distant relations and fill in blanks. I am referencing with AncestryDNA as that was the platform I was already associated with for many years before DNA testing became mainstream. Can be pretty useless for those clueless about their family and barely know anything about previous generation, let alone the last 3 or 4. But everyone has their own reason for it. Some are doing research, some are trying to find a rich ancestor with no kin and some want to get the raw data for their code and see what nasty surprises (genetic diseases) their bodies have in store for them.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        I have a bit of a problem with these services.
        So did Elizabeth Warren.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elizabeth Warren.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	767034

Comment

Trump is actually a Mexican Muslim.

Comment

15444, did you get more than one type of testing done?

Our family emigrated to this country alone, no other family members came. Just my Great Grandfather, his wife and kids. No brothers or sisters of the adults came. We were German Russians. They departed Europe from the port of Bremmen on the ship the SS Aller and arrived at New York, I had a copy of the ship's manifest photocopied from Sask Archives.

Church records used to play a big role in genealogy research but alot of people have abandoned the churches, they had birth, marriage and death records. I guess Vital Statistics is now doing all that.

Comment

In the words of geneticist Adam Rutherford...

For deeper family roots, these tests do not really tell you where your ancestors came from. They say where DNA like yours can be found on Earth today. By inference, we are to assume that significant proportions of our deep family came from those places. But to say that you are 20 percent Irish, 4 percent Native American or 12 percent Scandinavian is fun, trivial and has very little scientific meaning. We all have thousands of ancestors, and our family trees become matted webs as we go back in time, which means that before long, our ancestors become everyone’s ancestors. Humankind is fascinatingly closely related, and DNA will tell you little about your culture, history and identity.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

Comment

Anyone grab a hair sample at last nights meeting, JT 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    15444, did you get more than one type of testing done?

Our family emigrated to this country alone, no other family members came. Just my Great Grandfather, his wife and kids. No brothers or sisters of the adults came. We were German Russians. They departed Europe from the port of Bremmen on the ship the SS Aller and arrived at New York, I had a copy of the ship's manifest photocopied from Sask Archives.

Church records used to play a big role in genealogy research but alot of people have abandoned the churches, they had birth, marriage and death records. I guess Vital Statistics is now doing all that.
                    Neighbors were german/russians belonging to the old believers who didnt wash or shave, i quess explains the avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                      Neighbors were german/russians belonging to the old believers who didnt wash or shave, i quess explains the avatar.
                      I am the closest living relative of the Neanderthal, and everyone thought they were extinct.

Comment

So my father was married to his cousin and I’m married to my cousin,
                        Don’t like where this is going

Comment

I'm My Own Grandpa
                          Ray Stevens
                          Many, many years ago when I was 23
                          I was married to a widow who was pretty as can be
                          This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
                          My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed
                          This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
                          For now my daughter was my mother 'cause she was my father's wife
                          And to complicate the matter even though it brought me joy
                          I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy
                          My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
                          And so he became my uncle though it mad me very sad
                          For if he were my uncle that would also made him brother
                          Of the widows grown-up daughter who was of course my stepmother
                          Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
                          And he became my grandchild for he was my daughter's son
                          My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue
                          Because although she is my wife she's my grandmother two
                          Now if my wife is my grandmother then I'm her grandchild
                          And every time I think of it, nearly drives me wild
                          'Cause now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
                          As husband of my grandmother I am my own grandpaw
                          Oh I'm my own grandpaw
                          I'm my own grandpaw
                          It sounds funny I know but it really is so
                          I'm my own grandpaw
                          (Listen to this now)
                          I'm my own grandpaw
                          I'm my own grandpaw
                          I'm my own grandpaw

Comment

Wife and I used Ancestry and feel it is 100% accurate. They narrowed my DNA at 96% chance to a 100 mile radius in south Poland. Less chances in some parts of Ukraine, Germany and Baltic states. This agrees with grandparents histories on both sides. Paternal grandmother was born in Chicago in 1898, and they suggest shared DNA in that region too. Father's cousins are living there today. Cousin in Victoria on mother's side was linked correctly to my DNA also. We feel they are right on. Try it for fun if nothing else. As time goes o and more submit samples the greater chance of linking with relatives.

Comment

Being adopted guess its of little use to me?

But found birth mother and new siblings but nothing on biological fathers side all know he was hungarian 5ft 11 heavy build approx 190lbs plus blonde haired blue eyed carpenter and first name was "beelah" not sure of spelling.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.