• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with our peas?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done a fair bit of brix testing our forages, be aware that results vary greatly with time of day readings are taken and day to day depending on temperature and the plants reaction to that factor. It has been an interesting experiment but not a game changer, rather confirms what we already knew for us in terms of having enough quality in the grass/legumes to fatten cattle. Biggest problem I have with it is breaking garlic presses trying to squeeze moisture out of grass.

Comment

We seeded all Mosaic Maple Peas. No lentils this year

Comment

[QUOTE=dave4441;348663]We seeded all Mosaic Maple Peas. No lentils this year[/QUOTE

When your not seeding lentils kind of worries me with your knowledge of the lentil market
        Was it disease pressure that you did not seed lentils or pricing ?

We are about 1/3 peas this year and 2/3 lentils for our pulse rotation most years we are 95% lentils

Comment

Dave must be the only one who didn't seed lentils I've never seen so many in my travels around southern sask.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
            Dave must be the only one who didn't seed lentils I've never seen so many in my travels around southern sask.
            Many fields in western alberta as well... A little out of their element. Wise tale was they only needed to get wet twice. Once when you seed them, and the second time when they hit the pot. In western AB they may only be dry twice. Once when they sit on the seed truck and a second time when they're heading to the bin.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jagfarms;348670]
              Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
              We seeded all Mosaic Maple Peas. No lentils this year[/QUOTE

When your not seeding lentils kind of worries me with your knowledge of the lentil market
              Was it disease pressure that you did not seed lentils or pricing ?

We are about 1/3 peas this year and 2/3 lentils for our pulse rotation most years we are 95% lentils
              No, I seeded all my acres to reds last year with the idea that market would flood in 2016. It took alot longer then I expected but result is same. Red lentils will need to push below 20 cents (for #2) this next year. There just wasn't the pull back in acreage that was needed or that I expected. It's correct, lentils are everywhere. We are down a million acres but we are still in record acreage territory and very low level of forward sales are in place. India just doesn't need the product.

So I grew a niche pea that is tiny market. Will see how many people thought the same. Lol
              Last edited by dave4441; Jun 23, 2017, 21:42.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.