• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planter / drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's nice ....
    Anyway , yup planters in the past are no different than some of the older drills .
    Things change and the new big drills new an excellent job . They have come a long way as have planters . The Horsch is a much different set up than the planters used in those scientific studies.
    So again , things change .
    And you should come see our canola first hand seeded with the Bourgault then drive and look at others . There is very little difference but I guess you know that from pictures. I know what we see here on a daily basis . Is the planter far better ? No , but depends how you compare apples to apples . I find it interesting to see first hand and apparently so do 13,000 plus other viewers .

Comment

1 st trial ...
      pioneer 45S56 , 5.6 tkw seed

That was on 3.5 in rain from end Of May till now .

Comment

Planter vs drill

All this talk on planters being superior to drills can be summed up in two words. Bull Shit. Go buy yourself a Salford offset disc drill 522 at 40 feet with on board air system and seed tank . Seed deep , seed shallow , seed fast, seed slow , seed dry , seed super wet , seed into 65 bus ac Dur stubble with no fall harrowing or pre working or 40 bus flax stubble in a drought year with zero bunching or burning,,,, what ever. For the difference in price for a similar planter I would have to remortgage my farm and start the learning process all over again. I'm 65 years old now and after 50 years of active farming I've learned one thing. Over a life time of farming , iron doesn't make a huge difference! Managment, timing and rain make the biggest difference to the pocket book and your frame of mind !

Comment

Who ever said they were superior ?
          I know I never .
          It's an out fit that will work for us and was just sharing info .
          I am sure that Salford is a very good seeding outfit . How much for a 40 ft Salford with full independent row shut off for seed and liquid fert ? Just asking , I have no idea.
          But for us a Salford will not seed corn accurately . Part of our plan is to replace to old JD corn planters as well for custom seeding . Corn seed is expensive and needs singularity to be effective.
          Most seeding outs now are very good , the Hawks , Masters , new Bourgault's ,Salford whatever . Use what works on your farm .
          Canola seed is only going to get more expensive, a tool like the Horsch may be a fit on some farms , may not , no different than the Salford .
          Getting perfectly even germination , crop stand and maturity is one thing that was interesting at 2 lbs / ac . We seeded both into wet and dry here , into worked pea stubble and into wheat stubble that was only harrowed last fall , crop established very well in every situation.
          The idea that planters are astronomical in price well , as you know , go price out a new 80 ft drill of any colour . The planter in half price . I don't know , but I would be surprised if the the Salford , with similar options would be that much cheaper but I could be wrong .

Comment

P.S

Craig Shaw had a Salford set up for controlled traffic use. He came out and looked at mine before he bought!

Comment

Furrow, there's a couple of Case planters coming up at Ritchie's
              Rouleau ...I know nothing about them.

Comment

Price

I paid 135000 in 2010 for my Salford. Brand new direct from factory in Salford Ontario. Then my son and I assembled it in my shop in the winter before our first season of seeding. Was very wet in 2010 and 2011. I was able to pick up some custom seeding from the neighbors those years as all the hoe drills as well as my buddy's JD single disc were useless in the mud! Never have grown corn here so I'm an idiot on that topic. Lots of Salford in Ontario and areas south seeding corn with success. But then they do a lot of vettical tillage before seeding and generally thy get more consistent rain patterns than we do!

Comment

The case planters can stay at Richies lol
                  They are no where near what a Horsch is.

Be interesting to see what a new Salford is just to compare .
                  They look like a very good outfit .

Seen corn seeded with a seedmaster with the speacial corn rollers . Did an ok job , far better than a normal airdrill but not near as even and consistent as even our old JD planters .

Comment

Originally posted by Lowrider27 View Post
                    I paid 135000 in 2010 for my Salford. Brand new direct from factory in Salford Ontario. Then my son and I assembled it in my shop in the winter before our first season of seeding. Was very wet in 2010 and 2011. I was able to pick up some custom seeding from the neighbors those years as all the hoe drills as well as my buddy's JD single disc were useless in the mud! Never have grown corn here so I'm an idiot on that topic. Lots of Salford in Ontario and areas south seeding corn with success. But then they do a lot of vettical tillage before seeding and generally thy get more consistent rain patterns than we do!
                    I'd be interested in knowing what "lots" means. Planting corn in Ontario with a Salford or any other air seeder is an act of desperation when the planter breaks down. Even a worn out planter does a better job.
                    More and more here are even planting wheat through planters now and skipping the drills and air seeders entirely

Comment

One thing that is very noticeable as well is zero wheel tracks from spring even in wet areas and the smooth field finish . Very nice and smooth for grains trucks and fall spraying that we are doing now . We are still very dry and ground in hard .
                      Fields with any kind of wheel tracks from seeding and or spraying this spring / summer are very rough in this area

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.