• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ag PHD app

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ab7 View Post
    That’s obviously for people who are removing the straw.
    Duh
    Okay makes sense now.
    Just that nobody removes canola straw round here

Comment

Originally posted by Ab7 View Post
      That’s obviously for people who are removing the straw.
      Duh
      Gotta grow it before you can remove it.

Gotta have enough nutrients for the grain production and the straw, root and leaf biomass as well.

Glad we get to leave our residue behind to help build soil and it's structure.

A good thatch can even help preserve moisture in dry springs.

Wet years it can turn into a Petri dish of fungal disease, oh well, enter vertical tillage(time and place).

Comment

the stover number still matters... You have to grow the straw in the current year.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
          the stover number still matters... You have to grow the straw in the current year.
          Exactly and if you rely on mineralization too much without investing something back into your portfolio, the interest dwindles to nothing. Some of my challenging soils are solonetzic and most soil test regimes recommended do not pan out if other factors aren’t in your favour. All I know is keep the soil covered, leave residue, add residue (feed cows on it), fertilize for a realistic yield, and don’t grow barley.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
            One good rain can wash all the potash out of the straw.
            One good thunderstorm can add 50ib/ac n in crop year.... A good pea crop can add another 100b/ac n the next 3 years... plus soil conditioning / nutrient avaliability/uptake is increased... 60bu/ac pea crop well chopped and spread= huge productivity gains after that pulse crop... fabas not so much...

Comment

We grow lots of straw here regularly, often problematic. It has gotten very trendy to bale it off. I would guess 85% of cereals were baled this year and a bit of canola straw. And there is no shortage of feed here, guys are just trying to get their baling back out of it. Seems counterproductive to me. I bale some every year but try to take it from the fields where I can replace with manure.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                One good thunderstorm can add 50ib/ac n in crop year.... A good pea crop can add another 100b/ac n the next 3 years... plus soil conditioning / nutrient avaliability/uptake is increased... 60bu/ac pea crop well chopped and spread= huge productivity gains after that pulse crop... fabas not so much...
                Why not Fabas ? I have been told the opposite , and the cereal crops I have seen here on Fabas look great .

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  True if this is the first year that the straw was returned to the soil. But if you have been putting the straw back every year for years or decades, at some point the mineralization of previous straw must cancel out the need to fertilize for the stover growth in the current year. If not, then where do the nutrients go?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    True if this is the first year that the straw was returned to the soil. But if you have been putting the straw back every year for years or decades, at some point the mineralization of previous straw must cancel out the need to fertilize for the stover growth in the current year. If not, then where do the nutrients go?
                    Volatilization of the unstable variety and leaching of stable ones?

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                      I don't have my Les Henry soils book in front of me, but he claims that is a myth. That in reality, a couple of lbs per acre per year from thunderstorms is all that can be expected(give or take, going by memory).

Supposedly legumes are overrated in what they can supply.

Everyone here bales pea straw. If the N is worth that much, then they are getting a bad deal selling the straw.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        What’s needed is a healthy soil to recycle and mineralize those nutrients properly, otherwise the potential benefit becomes a disease Petri dish, as said above when soils become anaerobic. Thus higher levels of fusarium, root rots and a lot of the issues we see today. Makes the chem companies happy but all they offer are Costly band aid fixes in seed treatments and fungicides. Needs to start with a healthier soil .
                        Western Canadian agronomy in general got away from that and just promoted higher and higher fertility which leads to degraded soils and more disease levels in most cases .
                        From what I’ve seen the past 15 years here , soil amendments to promote healthy bacteria are the link to getting mineralization back and healthy soils to properly break down straw and stover , thus greatly reducing disease levels and dependence on very high fertility to get decent crops . Unfortunately here , we got behind the 8 ball and it will take a while . Listened to too many “expert agronomists” that simply focused on higher fertility and promote costly variable rate, rather than soil health . It was and is all about their retail sales , not the real issues starting from the soil in the first place.

Comment

Fabas are just as good Furrow. At least on this farm. Less of a pain to work in for sure

Comment

You have to wonder if less mobile nutrients from the stover accumulate in the surface layers of low til soil? How avalable is your soil analysis “plant avalable” phosphate in a dry surface soil condition?

Fabas are know to chelate phosphates by releasing acidic root exudates that release non avalable nutrients tied up in the soil. You can have a faba crop remove 60lbs of P from the soil and still show higher soil P levels after a year of production with a lessor fertility package.

Comment

Furrow, I like the idea of aerating the soil but not with tillage. Last spring there were a gazillion earthworms when we were checking seeding depth. This fall when we disced a very small patch in the fields we were harvesting to place the tractor and disc on in case of fire, I noticed the lumps and chunks the disc turned up were full of earthworm tunnels. But where did the worms go? Deeper? Get out the track hoe! Lol, oops I forgot

Comment

I know it’s a swear word, but again, f o r a g e.

Pencil out hay values. Forage seed one time cost amortized is ridiculously cheap. Perennials smash the cycle, to the point where they almost let you start over with near virgin soil and a clean slate of soil health.

Best, for that portion of the farm, you eliminate the treadmill from hell.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...