• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My favourite solar power article of the day

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They aren't anywhere near ready for deployment and the costs could be so high that renewables like hydro, geothermal, tidal, wind and solar with storage will be much cheaper. We are decades away from small nuclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      The one modular nuclear plant in the article will produce up to 195 megawatts. For shits and giggles I looked up how many acres of solar panels tp produce a megawatt of electricity. The one research article I read said 8 acres, so 195 megawatts would take 1560 acres. So I wonder is the molten salt reactor or a bunch of solar panels better for the environment? As for our Prime Minister let’s see $295 million to Ford to build electric cars, $20 million for nuclear power hmmmm.
      You do realize there are many acres of house and commercial buildings with roofs that can have solar on them.

"The study utilized light detection and ranging (LiDAR)–based scans of buildings as well as statistical techniques to estimate rooftop solar PV potential. The study found that of the 116.9 million residential buildings in the U.S., there are 67.2 million buildings (57% of the total) suitable for solar PV. Total generation potential was nearly 1,000 terawatt-hour (TWh), which is about 75% of residential consumption (although not necessarily without economical power storage options)."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/04/29/the-solar-power-potential-of-rooftops-in-the-u-s/#7860d9915109 https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/04/29/the-solar-power-potential-of-rooftops-in-the-u-s/#7860d9915109

Comment

Some day all those solar panels will be recycled into car windshields and we will be buying a tiny nuclear fist that plugs into our pole in the yard, lasts forever and powers minute power packs for our cars, trucks, planes. But until then the US will blow 12 trillion dollars destroying the oil industry. “ The brainiaks”.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          They aren't anywhere near ready for deployment and the costs could be so high that renewables like hydro, geothermal, tidal, wind and solar with storage will be much cheaper. We are decades away from small nuclear.
          Did you read the article you posted? The company in the article said it would have the molten salt reactor ready for production by the end of the decade, while that is a few years away that is not “decades”!

Comment

Yup 1 decade until the company says they will be ready. Add another decade to their plans just to be safe. And then there is the approval, regulatory and deployment which will probably be another decade or 2. So decades is proabably accurate.

I am assuming you want one in your back yard?

Comment

You do realize there are many acres of house and commercial buildings with roofs that can have solar on them.

"The study utilized light detection and ranging (LiDAR)–based scans of buildings as well as statistical techniques to estimate rooftop solar PV potential. The study found that of the 116.9 million residential buildings in the U.S., there are 67.2 million buildings (57% of the total) suitable for solar PV. Total generation potential was nearly 1,000 terawatt-hour (TWh), which is about 75% of residential consumption (although not necessarily without economical power storage options)."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/04/29/the-solar-power-potential-of-rooftops-in-the-u-s/#7860d9915109 https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2018/04/29/the-solar-power-potential-of-rooftops-in-the-u-s/#7860d9915109
              What the numbers in Canada ? Or Sweden , Finland , Russia ?

Try to keep it realistic to here
              Maybe Klause can give realistic numbers again

Comment

Yup 1 decade until the company says they will be ready. Add another decade to their plans just to be safe. And then there is the approval, regulatory and deployment which will probably be another decade or 2. So decades is proabably accurate.

I am assuming you want one in your back yard?
                If I had a choice between a grid scale solar field and a molten salt reactor in my backyard, I would take the molten salt reactor.

Comment

Its not going to be only solar its going to be hydro, geothermal, tidal, wind and solar with storage, hydrogen and maybe some nuclear that will replace fossil fuels and who knows what other energy sources are developed.

Fossil fuels will be saved and available for feedstock for materials and chemicals.

Its going to be a long transition that will be dependent on many factors in every different location.

Don't worry you are not going to freeze in the dark unless an asteroid hits!

Comment

Its not going to be only solar its going to be hydro, geothermal, tidal, wind and solar with storage, hydrogen and maybe some nuclear that will replace fossil fuels and who knows what other energy sources are developed.

Fossil fuels will be saved and available for feedstock for materials and chemicals.

Its going to be a long transition that will be dependent on many factors in every different location.

Don't worry you are not going to freeze in the dark unless an asteroid hits!
                    Not worried at all , just sick of see solar comparisons from southern latitudes that are nearly meaningless here .
                    And never a mention from the solar advocates of the bad side . There will be and is a massive landfill issue

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      The one modular nuclear plant in the article will produce up to 195 megawatts. For shits and giggles I looked up how many acres of solar panels tp produce a megawatt of electricity. The one research article I read said 8 acres, so 195 megawatts would take 1560 acres. So I wonder is the molten salt reactor or a bunch of solar panels better for the environment? As for our Prime Minister let’s see $295 million to Ford to build electric cars, $20 million for nuclear power hmmmm.
                      Wow that really puts things into perspective.

1560 acres of solar panels = 1 modular nuclear plant

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                        We need small nuclear plants, not solar. Till then, we need to burn organic fuels,,, organic fuels that come from decaying plants and animals from thousands of years ago.

Lingering Legacy: Millions of Toxic Solar Panels That Can’t Be Recycled Destined for Landfills
                        https://stopthesethings.com/2020/10/10/lingering-legacy-millions-of-toxic-solar-panels-that-cant-be-recycled-destined-for-landfills/amp/

sorry with the dead link,,, here it is hot.

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/10/10/lingering-legacy-millions-of-toxic-solar-panels-that-cant-be-recycled-destined-for-landfills/amp https://stopthesethings.com/2020/10/10/lingering-legacy-millions-of-toxic-solar-panels-that-cant-be-recycled-destined-for-landfills/amp
                        Just like chuck to skip over the truth, to further his agenda....

Comment

And the oil industry doesn't have an agenda?

Why would you want to buy electricity when you can make a lot of your own with solar that will be cheaper and cleaner in the long run?

CNH just put up a solar system in Saskatoon to cover 8% of their electricity for manufacturing! Say Whaaat?

I guess they did this because it doesn't work in dark and cold Saskatoon!

Its the black and white, all or nothing crowd who can't understand the word transition as we add some cleaner renewables like wind, solar where appropriate and still keep using some fossil fuels for awhile yet. Just like Sask Power is doing.

Still using your dial up party lines yet? Or do you have a smart phone? LOL
                          Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 24, 2020, 10:07.

Comment

So we are willing to carbon tax ourselves to oblivion for 8% ? And still have a changing climate

Comment

Why would you want to buy electricity when you can make a lot of your own with solar that will be cheaper and cleaner in the long run?

CNH just put up a solar system in Saskatoon to cover 8% of their electricity for manufacturing! Say Whaaat?

Its the black and white, all or nothing crowd who can't understand the word transition as we add some cleaner renewables like wind, solar where appropriate and still keep using some fossil fuels for awhile yet. Just like Sask Power is doing.

This is a place that might make sense. A facility that uses massive amounts of energy at on demand rates.

But on my farm with a shop, house a few yardlights and 15 areation fans my power bill is just over $3000 annually. It probably makes less sense.

Comment

First off covering 8% of their electrical demand, let’s be honest really just virtue signalling and public relations, look how green I am. Justin Trudeau net zero by 2050, Joe Biden says net zero by 2025 replacing 8% of our electricity with solar isn’t going to get us to net zero, what?!?! LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.