• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMC 1000 HP Convertible Super Truck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a waste imo. Why not build in a regular 2500 chassis? Also why 1000hp. Sales will be right up There with all the muscle cars. They may even get to 4 or 5,000.

If they built a 3/4 or 1 ton that had 2/3 the hp and torque you could add another zero to the sales figures.

Comment

Am I alone in wondering what the hell the practical value of this thing is?

rest of original post deleted. Respect to klause.
      Last edited by burnt; Oct 22, 2020, 07:15.

Comment

Why not improve its "energy mileage" and reduce the HP and torque and increase its range.

Yup, a waste of energy.

Does it matter what form it comes in or how it was produced?

Comment

It does show that electric vehicles are about to make some noise .
          Will know in two years how these hold out in a Canadian climate. Let us know Zephyr 👍.
          I will wait for the 500hp version or less and a few years. Also if we can actually get a crop without drought , hail , frost or snow ... maybe next year lol .
          Electric tractors finally starting to make some headway . The JD autonomous one looks most interesting to me.
          But all this will come down to reliability and price though .
          Something needs to change because the extreme cost of current emission systems on farm machinery, continued escalating carbon tax’s is going to drain profitability too much in the near future .

Comment

The big three have been making huge profits off their over the top very expensive trucks that many people drive without a good reason. They have great marketing programs!

They are doing the same with electric plans. All we need is range and something practical to get the job done.

Its great to see all the support for EVs on Agriville! The times must be changing! hahah

Comment

All the comments about the high HP and torque...

Electric motors, especially DC traction, are extremely powerful and can make torque at any rpm.

They don't put out 11,000 ft lbs 100% of the time. Just when it's needed... I bet it takes 30-40hp to keep it rolling down the highway.

Ever run a Milwaukee or metabo drill that'll break your wrist when it jams? That's 18v DC. Now imagine that same tech at 800vdc.

As far as prices go, look at the website. MSRP is on there and it's in line with a high end duramax...

This is GM's electric flagship to show what it can do. I'm sure they'll put similar systems into Sierras and Silverados soon.

Electric vehicles aren't going anywhere and we will all drive them sooner or later.

An electric truck doesn't waste power idling at a red light, or stuck in traffic.

My question and major concern is our electricity grid.

Especially here in SK lots of places have old lines old switches and old small transformers. It'll cost s lot of money to upgrade the whole system at once.

Comment

An electric truck doesn't waste power idling at a red light, or stuck in traffic.

Alot of the newer GM vehicles shut off at red lights

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

Alot of the newer GM vehicles shut off at red lights

True.

Starting a motor still burns fuel, it's not instant on.

If your coasting along at 5km an hr you're wasting a bunch of fuel vs electric too.

Fuel needs to be transported. Electricity runs down wires after the initial generation.

Oil is a finite resource and we need it for a lot of other products... If something better comes along we should embrace it.

How many of us run cordless power tools? 10 years ago we would have all laughed at the thought of trading sir impacts in on electric.

I don't know if many left using air tools.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                    The big three have been making huge profits off their over the top very expensive trucks that many people drive without a good reason. They have great marketing programs!

They are doing the same with electric plans. All we need is range and something practical to get the job done.

Its great to see all the support for EVs on Agriville! The times must be changing! hahah
                    As I said , time will tell how reliable they are after two years in a Canadian climate.
                    Until they are proven through a few cold winters and as Klause said the current power grid is totally not ready.
                    Not doing backflips yet , but of course they are coming .
                    And when they prove reliable, cost effective, price still way too high if they are the same as a fully loaded Duramax .... cause they are retarded in price as is .

And there needs to be a plan in place for a major new power source , either Nuke or God forbid..... natural gas plants like the one in NB .
                    Until all that fall into place , most of this is still fairy tale stuff .
                    Ohh , and make a 3/4 ton truck like others said that’s practical and I can plug into my shops 220

So that may be 10 years plus

Comment

In the most recent Western Producer there is a story about CNH in Saskatoon who have invested in a very large solar array to produce about 8% of the electricity needs. It's not grid tied and they will directly use all the electricity themselves.

I would consider an EV truck if they are affordable and work well. I can use my 25kw solar system to charge it up. Any grain farm that runs a bunch of aeration fans can easily handle charging an EV. I think a 220V fast charger needs a 40 amp breaker. On our farm I have many 30 and some 60 amp breakers to run fan from 3 -7.5 hp fans.
                      Last edited by chuckChuck; Oct 22, 2020, 08:28.

Comment

In the most recent Western Producer there is a story about CNH in Saskatoon who have invested in a very large solar array to produce about 8% of the electricity needs. It's not grid tied and they will directly use all the electricity themselves.

I would consider an EV truck if they are affordable and work well. I can use my 25kw solar system to charge it up.

Funny.

I drilled in the power conduit and control lines for that project when they built it this past summer.

Contractors never jack hammered out the entry and exit areas for us. Took longer to do that than it took to put in the conduit.

Comment

i think electric vehicles are great , once they get the bugs out , i will have one
                          grid not overtaxed out here in the swamp
                          i doubt if many are here are opposed , just don't like getting BS rammed down our throats
                          no way city grids can handle it at this point
                          Last edited by Guest; Oct 22, 2020, 16:27.

Comment

No Def, thats an advantage

Comment

Owning and using an electric vehicle would take some true planning with their current capabilities.

You can drive from Regina to Calgary on a tank of fuel(depending on.....) but 560 kms on a single charge of that Hummer and how much time to top the batteries enough to get the rest of the way there? Then charge again.

I wonder how long it would take before the fleet of ambulances, police vehicles or fire trucks are completely electric.
                              Will that be the true test of "dependability" over fossil fuels.

Time to recharge and travel range, convenience, reliabily and dependability will all have to meet petrol drive standards. Hopefully excede them in the future.

It may evolve to surpass the status quo.

I think understand the hp and torque capabilities(What electric is capable of)...... its just over kill for the application they are applying it to.

For passenger vehicles..... lower those two factors in exchange for more travel distance on the same charge. Efficiency should be the goal.

An electric vehicle's ability to self charge or partially self charge(through some sort of a low energy consuming self contained generator) to increase its travel range would be a huge game changer.
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 22, 2020, 19:36.

Comment

Tow around a genset lol.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...