• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic new driving law

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    ?
    Soon only 'legal' to " 'drive'" a Tesla self driving car in cities?

Covid-19 made more 'changes' in a year than decades preceding...

How soon Will they monitor drivers tractors and combines... [will need a special licence and learners permit with graduated farm operating permit]?

Stats Canada now after capacity of each of our grain bins... and how full they are...! After us for 2 months 7 calling days a week....

Insanity...
    Tom, I haven't responded to them in 5 years now.
    If the fine only $450, cheap.
    Best money spent on useless land line number.
    Seems more to that story though.
    Better yet, pay an annual fee for our inventory to be instantly updated in cloud, with all financials?
    Good luck.

Comment

I live in town and drive 15 miles to the farm. Depending on the need for parts, I might make that trip a couple more times a day. Atleast half of the drivers I meet on the road are looking down at their phone.

I was thinking of installing a train airhorn on my work truck and when I meet someone with their eyes looking down, give them a blast.

Wake them up to the task at hand.
      Last edited by LEP; Jan 14, 2021, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Toast View Post
        Ever seen the Mr Bean episode with him being late and dressing in the car ? Priceless !
        Yes. Was thinking of him when I posted that.

He passed.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
          Distracted driving law here has been in force a few years now (includes food and drink) Surprisingly hasn't affected drive through volume. I have no concerns about safety while I'm eating but most of the population cant handle driving safely with both hands on the wheel.

Was a case in the news of a woman fighting her ticket that got a fair bit of media attention because she felt it was her right, not sure how it turned out. She was eating hot soup, one hand holding the bowl, the other holding the spoon.
          Food and drink is at the officers discretion isn't it? Or something like that. It’s not an out and out ban on eating and drinking. But if you’re driving erratically and showing signs of being distracted you can get a ticket.

On the phone is a ticket no matter what.

I think back over the years and how many people I’ve heard of die because they were reaching for a CD on the passenger side and crashed or over corrected and crashed. CDs may be one of the most lethal things considering they weren’t really around for that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
            Food and drink is at the officers discretion isn't it? Or something like that. It’s not an out and out ban on eating and drinking. But if you’re driving erratically and showing signs of being distracted you can get a ticket.

On the phone is a ticket no matter what.

I think back over the years and how many people I’ve heard of die because they were reaching for a CD on the passenger side and crashed or over corrected and crashed. CDs may be one of the most lethal things considering they weren’t really around for that long.
            No...Vanity mirrors on sunvisors while at the wheel is much more ominous.
            Gotta look purdy .
            Last edited by Toast; Jan 14, 2021, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              I live in town and drive 15 miles to the farm. Depending on the need for parts, I might make that trip a couple more times a day. Atleast half of the drivers I meet on the road are looking down at their phone.

I was thinking of installing a train airhorn on my work truck and when I meet someone with their eyes looking down, give them a blast.

Wake them up to the task at hand.

In cases like that their not even going the speed limit either, meaning tailgating starts happening.

Lep, the horn is a great idea, as when I pass driver's texting while driving that's what they get from me, the horn

That's the reason why texting or talking on the cell phone is illegal here in Manitoba, they cause accidents.

Anybody thinking they have the ability to do so and still drive effectively is only fooling themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Toast View Post
                No...Vanity mirrors on sunvisors when females are at the wheel is much more ominous.
                I’ve never heard of a fatal crash from the use of a vanity mirror.

For that matter, I can’t think of one friend that uses them and who’s wouldn’t be covered in a giant layer of dust.

Considering that roughly 50% of drivers are women and pretty much every vehicle has a vanity mirror (or equally useable rear view mirror), then if femme fatales using mirrors were such an issue, there’d be issues all the time. In fact, 50% of drivers wouldn’t be women because we’d be weeding ourselves out.

Can’t fix stupid so there’s always some outliers.

Yet for some reason... vehicle insurance is higher for men...

Stupid clause isn’t really applied automatically to female drivers. We have to earn it 😜

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Anybody thinking they have the ability to do so and still drive effectively is only fooling themselves.
                  Most of us farmers and truck drivers seem to believe we possess some superhuman multitasking driving abilities.
                  I expect we are completely delusional in that belief.
                  Have there been any studies to indicate otherwise?

Does bouncing along in a tractor with 50+ feet of implement (or 2 or 3) running 6" from a fence or treeline (or cow), while watching and adjusting multiple monitors and levers, on the phone with a bowl of cereal in the other hand, dusty windows, the sun in your eyes, No sleep for three nights, 3 extra kids crammed in, and stress levels through the roof from reading agriville with the remaining hand, really make us better over the road drivers capable of multitasking?
                  Or just really dangerously overconfident hazards on the road?

I think I know the answer.

Comment

I know after finishing harvest each fall, I am a much poorer driver the first few times I go into town or city. Lots of rolling stops at stop signs just as I am used to doing all fall at rural intersections with loaded grain trucks. In much more of a hurry to get somewhere, just as I was for 2 months or so to get back to the combines/bins. Lot less patience of others on the road. It takes real effort to break bad driving habits I have gotten into each fall when other traffic other than equipment in the fields is rare. The distractions, like using a cell phone, while bouncing across a field at 20 mph with no other traffic is not equivalent to texting on a highway and so that means shutting off the phone completely right after harvest while driving so I am not tempted or in the habit of responding.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                      Tom, I haven't responded to them in 5 years now.
                      If the fine only $450, cheap.
                      Best money spent on useless land line number.
                      Seems more to that story though.
                      Better yet, pay an annual fee for our inventory to be instantly updated in cloud, with all financials?
                      Good luck.
                      we haven't been on speaking terms for about 7 years , ever since i told them we grow all lentils , he said "what colour", i said "what colours are there?", he said "brown or red" , i said "yea they were brown for sure"
                      no problem so far , always used to ask them their yearly wage , told it was none of my business ?

Comment

Driving is dangerous should be illegal, it's all about keeping you safe.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                          In cases like that their not even going the speed limit either, meaning tailgating starts happening.

Lep, the horn is a great idea, as when I pass driver's texting while driving that's what they get from me, the horn

That's the reason why texting or talking on the cell phone is illegal here in Manitoba, they cause accidents.

me too , especially in the semi, sure brings them back to the task at hand in a *** hurry
                          i have invited cop to come for a ride to tisdale in semi , told him he would get half of drivers i meet ,would need a dozen cars behind to process them all tho , no takers yet really pisses me off when they don't even look up
                          i know i sure don't have enough concentration to do it , have driven by obvious corners that i should have never missed just while talking on hands free

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                            I’ve never heard of a fatal crash from the use of a vanity mirror.

For that matter, I can’t think of one friend that uses them and who’s wouldn’t be covered in a giant layer of dust.

Considering that roughly 50% of drivers are women and pretty much every vehicle has a vanity mirror (or equally useable rear view mirror), then if femme fatales using mirrors were such an issue, there’d be issues all the time. In fact, 50% of drivers wouldn’t be women because we’d be weeding ourselves out.

Can’t fix stupid so there’s always some outliers.

Yet for some reason... vehicle insurance is higher for men...

Stupid clause isn’t really applied automatically to female drivers. We have to earn it 😜
                            but, but , why is the rear view mirror always aimed at drivers head and not rear window ?

Comment

Once a pieceof farm machinery here has three pivot pointsyour meant to have a semi trailer licence ne ver heard of anyone being prosecuted.

Tractor aircart seeder 3 points.

Tractor cultivator 2 points.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                                Once a pieceof farm machinery here has three pivot pointsyour meant to have a semi trailer licence ne ver heard of anyone being prosecuted.

Tractor aircart seeder 3 points.

Tractor cultivator 2 points.

That wouldn't go over well with the local cattle farmers. Everyone has or used to have at least 2 if not 3 hay wagons hooked together. Each with sloppy automotive steering. Rear wagon could weave 4 feet back and forth across the road. That's 4 pivots, 6 on three wagons, and I started hauling bales at about age 12, wasn't allowed to use road gear though.

Our rear wagon had about 2 feet of slack in the hitch, front wagon was tight. Made it easier to back up than if the front had the slack. After learning how to back up two wagons and no power steering at a young age, everything else since then seems easy.
                                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jan 14, 2021, 18:03.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.