• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Resistance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Often puzzled why Agriville rarely talks about agriculture, so, what ya gonna do about herbicide resistance?

Hope it just goes away? Expecting someone else to solve the problem? Can policy help? Regulatory?
    Thanks for bringing up an ag related topic. I think I know how to solve your puzzle though.
    If you click on the posters name in the column under the word author, then click on the link for find all threads started by, and do that for the most prolific posters, you will find a pattern, a few bad apples start most of the off topic threads( on both sides of the debate). A couple of particularly prolific thread starters haven't started a thread about agriculture in years, except the incidental post ranitng about big chemical companies. Too many of the rest of the threads are in response to a previous thread by one of the non farmer types.

Probably it is time to quit responding to Chuck again, he does seem to be less prolific if I quit taunting him. It would be a good start. But because this is a thread with agriculture in the title, he won't see this, and won't even know he is being ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
      Resistant kochia is a reality down here in the SW corner where we farm. Weeds are getting harder and harder to control . A poster on this forum was mentioning Glyphosate with 24-d. AAHH I remember those days. That works good for us for maybe 2 applications on chem fallow , after that nothing, maybe stunts them and that's it. Although if we would get some decent moisture on a regular basis in this godforsaken country I live in , it would help also. I do think that obviously water is a big factor in the effectiveness of the chemical , and I know all of you guys know that. Cultivator , and my trusty MF 360 discers ( I can hear a few of you cringe !) are being used where and when needed. Steel still has it's place down here. I am planning to increase seeding rates on my durum next spring. It has always worked for triticale and rye , so it's worth a shot. Planning also to use Authority for pre-seeding on pea ground also.

I like what I do , but sure would take some of the rain on a regular basis. Some of the BTO's around this area ( no offence to any of them ) are putting a LOT of $ into equipment and only getting at most a 25 bu/acre crop. To me the math does not work, but good on them. I heard there were some pulse crops in my area that only were yielding 5-10 bu/ac , so not too many payments made on that income.

Have a good weekend everyone , and here's to a good harvest !

Normal yields here tiswhat it is

Comment

[QUOTE=malleefarmer;466774]
        Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
        you can lay on 540g/ac of glypho, full rate express SG, 4oz of 2-4D, and 2oz of banvil, and the kochia laugh it off!

1.3L of glufosinate at best kinks them.

Getting lost here ounces per acre then 1.3 L again per acre?

Give you some standard rates here you will have to wirk back.

Glyphosate at 450g/ litre active rate is around 1.8 litres per ha at 80 lt per ha water rate.

Paraquat 1.5 lt per ha 100 lt per ha water rate.

Halaxfop or verdict 100 ml per ha water rate 80 lt per ha.

Dicamba were used in a mix 300 ml per ha.

Avadex 1.6 to 2 litres per ha.

Mostchemicals here applied in 3 chem mix just not a single product. And rotated.

Interesting work our worst weed for many is ryegrass. For somehuge resistance issues.
        If resistanct ryegrass is not sprayed zero chemicals nothing for 4 years the resitant plants are actually choked out by susceptable plants and when spraying returns in yr 5 the whole field is once again susceptible to all chemicals. Really new way to approach restance by just leaving it for grazing
        That’s kinda the way we think here too. The weeds are usually different between a hay/pasture field and crop land. By the time you rotate them like sheepwheat talked about you’ve help kick the resistance issue a lot further down the road.

We still use iron here to incorporate manure, work in the corn leftovers, and break rough pasture and such.

Reliance on one single method of weed control isn’t going to end well.

Good topic tweety

Comment

Hey Tweety what do you do to deal with weed resistance?

Comment

Roundup resistance is because of the .33 rate on canola.
            Tickled the weeds and pissed them off.
            Up the rate and kill the buggers.
            No issues here.
            Switch from group 1 to 2.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              Sell the grower multiple modes of action chemicles mixed into a neat expensive ****tail.

Comment

A real piss off with resistance issues is when you inherit someone else's. Be it by wind, water, wildlife, machinery, seed(certified---of course). You can only be diligent to a certain extent.

Comment

He admitted in another thread this week that he wasn’t even a farmer, not sure why he is even here.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                    He admitted in another thread this week that he wasn’t even a farmer, not sure why he is even here.
                    Exactly. I think he/she is just trying to stir shit more than anything. There are a few (tweety, chucks, dml, bin, forage and agstar ) that dont deserve a response on most threads they start. Don't feed the trolls.

My apologies if I missed anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                      Roundup resistance is because of the .33 rate on canola.
                      Tickled the weeds and pissed them off.
                      Up the rate and kill the buggers.
                      No issues here.
                      Switch from group 1 to 2.
                      Group 1 2 must be mode of action m similar to our a b c d

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                        Often puzzled why Agriville rarely talks about agriculture, so, what ya gonna do about herbicide resistance?

Hope it just goes away? Expecting someone else to solve the problem? Can policy help? Regulatory?

Some of the off topic stuff could maybe be comingled with organic farming forum, those that want to go there will.

But crikeys im guilty i put darn sheep and wool stuff in commodity section rather than its proper place.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                          Some of the off topic stuff could maybe be comingled with organic farming forum, those that want to go there will.

But crikeys im guilty i put darn sheep and wool stuff in commodity section rather than its proper place.
                          Mallee... keep up the good posts... we do appreciate your 'down under' perspective... it is refreshing and you are a wise and welcome poster here!!! Thanks for choosing to spend your time with us!!! Cheers!

Comment

I am involved in policy, what do you need?

Currently 69% of wild oats has at least one mode of resistance. Take the time to share your experience with these guys https://saskwheat.ca/news-articles/wild-oat-resistance-surevey https://saskwheat.ca/news-articles/wild-oat-resistance-surevey

Remember, this is a farmer problem, everyone else in the Ag sector will only bring expensive solutions (pardon the pun) to this farming problem.

I do find it interesting many think the answer to a chemical problem is a chemical solution.

Comment

One possible solution - but oh the energy. https://www.producer.com/2019/07/machine-controls-weeds-with-steam/ https://www.producer.com/2019/07/machine-controls-weeds-with-steam/

Comment

Tweety. If you would have seen what I saw the two past springs I doubt you would think tillage is a real good option.

Forages would be better than tillage.

Or only targeted pin point tillage.

But wide scale recreational tillage is dynamite under some circumstances in some areas.

I've even seen wild oats worse in tilled areas than untilled, you could see the line difference. Buried every wild oat that was laying on the surface then he had a carpet of it.

Tillage might be part of the solution but it is no replacement for an integrated program in my opinion.....not here anyway.
                                Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 26, 2020, 07:48.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.