• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barley with canola for baling.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barley with canola for baling.

Seeded barley with grass
    ..Last year it was canola.So i have lots of volenteer canola coming.If i green feed the barley and canola will that make good feed?can not spray or i would kill my alfalfa.

Originally posted by newguy View Post
    Seeded barley with grass
    ..Last year it was canola.So i have lots of volenteer canola coming.If i green feed the barley and canola will that make good feed?can not spray or i would kill my alfalfa.
    You can spray Pardner safely on Alfalfa, and barley. Canola is not on the label, but it kills it. I silaged canola a few years ago, makes great feed, just have to catch it before there is any oil in the seeds.

I was warned against baling, since the stalks are so strong and sharp that they can puncture cows stomachs. that would of course depend on timing.

Comment

We’ve been in the same situation a few times before and chopped or dry baled it with success. The canola had us concerned about smothering the alfalfa since it was really thick so we took it early and the feed was really nice. The stuff we dry baled took a long time to dry (oats, canola and alfalfa) cut with the discbine but if you have access to a bale wrapper/Tedder those problems become more manageable as heavy green-feed swathes takes a week to dry for us and usually Mother Nature has other plans.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
        We’ve been in the same situation a few times before and chopped or dry baled it with success. The canola had us concerned about smothering the alfalfa since it was really thick so we took it early and the feed was really nice. The stuff we dry baled took a long time to dry (oats, canola and alfalfa) cut with the discbine but if you have access to a bale wrapper/Tedder those problems become more manageable as heavy green-feed swathes takes a week to dry for us and usually Mother Nature has other plans.
        If you can dry greenfeed of any type in a week, you are doing something right that I am obviously doing wrong. The canola silage needed to lay for a week to get it dry enough to silage, that was cut with the 10 foot discbine crimped hard. I was going to post pics of the size of the swath and height of the crop, but can't find any on this computer.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
          Seeded barley with grass
          Just let wilt for a day or so and chop for silage makes good feed. I wouldn't bale it as the cow will sort the stalks out.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            If you can dry greenfeed of any type in a week, you are doing something right that I am obviously doing wrong. The canola silage needed to lay for a week to get it dry enough to silage, that was cut with the 10 foot discbine crimped hard. I was going to post pics of the size of the swath and height of the crop, but can't find any on this computer.
            The swath was laid out 6 foot wide and the canola kept it fluffy and it wasn’t lodged much so the stubble was kept longer. I find in heavy crops if the machine stays under 6 mph it leaves a ruffled swath compared going faster and laying a flat swath like a swather would.

I also forgot to mention we apply salt as a preservative so at 20% moisture it gets rolled which helps immensely.

The stars, moon, my patience...... etc. rarely align to give us a week of dry breezy weather so that’s why the tedder and wrapper have been added to the toolbox here. Both bought used one and two years ago but paid for themselves last year by saving about 2,000 bales from significant rain damage. Just about everything had a light shower but only had 120 acres get put up in nasty shape due to the weatherman changing his mind😉

Spreading two 19 foot swathes the day after it was cut allowing the ground to dry a little.

Raked, baled, and wrapped 150 acres of beautiful 40% moisture second cut through the night and finished in the morning. Planned on dry baling it for sale but our week of sun changed to snow instead.

Later after we finished wrapping that day.

Comment

Sprayed the crop.worked well.thanks.

Comment

Sprayed out canola a month ago and cutting barley for green feed now.

Comment

Comment

Sprayed out canola a month ago and cutting barley for green feed now.

Comment

Nice crop😎. Should make a few bales which is a good thing this year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.