• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change in Rotation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone told me the only rotation they want is to rotate out of the Industry...lol

Comment

Jazz ...

Comment

Non GMO ... huge market , in North America. Don’t have to worry about that fudging puttz of our PM screwing the market just yet cause Trump could care less about our Peter Pan .
        He has fudged every other market for western Canadian production

Comment

No such thing as a perfect rotation, have to keep up with changes in demand for different crops and production, also input costs as well as own farm ability to compete.
          Local area has seen switch out of grass alfalfa mostly for beef production to straight grain growing, with simple canola-cereal rotation most common.
          Not seeing many new fences or newly seeded forage fields.

Comment

I like the “keep it simple” rotation. Crops that supposedly pay decent have to, the inputs are so high, which in turn has more risk than reward IMO.
            I know a lot of farms that grew durum on durum for years and made the farms they have today doing that.
            Growing pulses are extremely good for the land, but very damaging to equipment, which today is priced out of control.
            Not sure what they answer is?

Comment

This was far more damaging in mid October than the nice dry peas we did in August last year .
              But ya most times you’re right bigzee

Comment

BigZee....

Things have changed a bit recently. Disease is a major concern and durum on durum on durum would be a recipe for a wreck if all three sides of the disease triangle are present with that kind of a rotation. Disease pressure wasn't too much of a real problem years ago.

Even the tight canola rotations are stoopid. Clubroot isn't an absolute death sentence but for anyone farming long term why would you want to tempt fate? ....then complain about seed costs that have the latest and greatest "resistance".....ahem...I mean "tolerance".

I would like more pulses in our rotation but root rots are wreaking havoc.

I would like soybeans but they have issues here.

I HATE growing flax but it is a very good break from other plant hosts that are affected by the same pathogens.

Continuous cropping has been a good thing but it has come with it's own set of new challenges. What works in one area doesn't necessarily work in another.

More sprayer time isn't a goal of mine, so if I can help mitigate some issues with a decent rotation...why not?

No one made money summerfallowing or chem fallowing. So even if the margins are a bit tight on some crops in the diverse rotation, I still think it's better than a tight rotation or idle land. Haven't even considered a forage in rotation, there are fewer and fewer livestock guys around and even fewer dairy farms of which there was once many in this area, even the cattlemen here have resorted to growing annual crops for livestock forage ....seems they yeild more tonnes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
                  No such thing as a perfect rotation, have to keep up with changes in demand for different crops and production, also input costs as well as own farm ability to compete.
                  Local area has seen switch out of grass alfalfa mostly for beef production to straight grain growing, with simple canola-cereal rotation most common.
                  Not seeing many new fences or newly seeded forage fields.
                  Very true on making due with different crops, for one’s own situation. Some of us though like trying new things, wheat and canola is fine, but boring. Fine if boring pays the bills, but I am one of those who love studying and trying things others don’t try.

Like your area, fences are generally coming down, cows get sold as new generation takes over. Barley canola oats is the order of the day around here. Bit of wheat.

Makes me wonder personally as I am the only one building fences and planting land down to forages. Kinda nervous. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    Very true on making due with different crops, for one’s own situation. Some of us though like trying new things, wheat and canola is fine, but boring. Fine if boring pays the bills, but I am one of those who love studying and trying things others don’t try.

Like your area, fences are generally coming down, cows get sold as new generation takes over. Barley canola oats is the order of the day around here. Bit of wheat.

Makes me wonder personally as I am the only one building fences and planting land down to forages. Kinda nervous. 😂
                    Sounds like our neck of the woods too. More fences disappear than are built around here too. We’re bucking the trend too and some days I question it as well. At least yearling prices bounced back in the last couple weeks.
                    Put up a mile last fall and 3/4 mile this year.

Comment

Woodland and sheepwheat - fence posts are the best thing you can plant LOL. Put up over 30 miles in 2 years - taking a breather with only a couple of miles of barb to replace with electric this year.

Comment

Nice fence woodland... do you guys use woven wire on all your fences.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                          Woodland and sheepwheat - fence posts are the best thing you can plant LOL. Put up over 30 miles in 2 years - taking a breather with only a couple of miles of barb to replace with electric this year.
                          I hope you’re right! This year is the first year we are stealing grain land to make pasture. Grain farmer in me says take it easy you dummy. Shepherd in me says only that much?

Good to have encouragement, grass, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                            30 miles .......... was that yourself or a contractor? Hats off either way as there’s a lot of other work besides just the posts and wire. Usually we have to pull the old wire and doze fifty year old poplars to get back to square one before starting over which is more work than building it here.

Our fence is on the right and the left is what it would’ve looked like before we started.

Comment

Originally posted by blackjack View Post
                              Nice fence woodland... do you guys use woven wire on all your fences.
                              We’ve started doing that as it’s frustrating having calves out in the ditch especially along the pavement which is quite a few miles for us. The cost is a little more but the maintenance seems lower on the stretches that have been in for 30 years at home vs barb wire. Gone to 8 foot posts as well which helps in the hills a lot. Hopefully it’ll be a generation or more before it needs attention......... 😉

Comment

Woodland...We have a new highway being built through our area so was thinking five wire but your fence ideas might change my mind.Thanks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.