• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More bad news for lentils and peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    As usual ....let our checkoff dollars wait until it's a crisis.....management of farmer's checkoff or advocate money have dropped the ball...and the guys that buy and load our product. ...

But as usual it comes back to farmers financially.....

The ****ing middleman lives well off us and still sends us the bill for their incompetence....

Rather than renaming varieties or selling varieties to processors for a pittance .....how about seeking a permanent solution rather than 6 month reprieves. ....

The one thing SPG could have done differently was to not: "sell(ing) varieties to processors for a pittance" when the board renewed the exclusive niche market tenders last year, other than that the decisions made in India are not within our control.

Could they make statements about how damaging this is to our industry from a producer perspective, yes, however India will do what is good for India in the end.

The key is diversity and diversification, please do your part.

Comment

They want to fumigate raw product and add it to soup..........and we are worried about pre harvest desiccation? Seems odd?

Comment

Here is a question for someone. How long does methyl Bromide take to gas off?

With the time the container takes on the ocean in transit could we not toss the Methyl Bromide in as the container is being loaded on the ship and it would gas off once the ship begins to get to warmer climates. Done by the time it reaches the dock in India.

Likely not an answer for the problem, but just an idea.

Comment

I may have spoke too harsh....I will just keep paying my mandatory checkoff and shut the **** up......

Does that suit everyone ....good then. ...let's let AGT and simpson seeds and other carve out their niche markets for a small percentage of growers while using checkoff dollars instead of their own....

And when they have an exporting problem they can solve it on their own .... right?????.....

And let's just forget I said some of these issues should be solved to a mutually beneficial solution.....and a practical procedures set in place for the future.....

But defending shit like this is the same reason union contracts of any sort don't get settled on time....and both management and union are to blame....same as India and Canada players here with pay scales and intelligence far more than mine....

I'll shut up now. ....I have stated my issues.....

Comment

Is aeration and/or desorption time required after the fumigation procedure with methyl bromide? How air tight are the sea cans?

India is asking for a procedure that is likely impossible under some of the weather conditions in Canada certain times of the year. How many times/years were exemptions granted? Price control......

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Is aeration and/or desorption time required after the fumigation procedure with methyl bromide? How air tight are the sea cans?

India is asking for a procedure that is likely impossible under some of the weather conditions in Canada certain times of the year. How many times/years were exemptions granted? Price control......
              From what I've read Methyl Bromide needs 50 - 80F to work and gasses off safely as soon as exposed to air.

Since most are harvested and binned at these temps and would be moved to export position why can't farmers apply when binning. Sign an affidavit that it was done and problem solved.

Likely some reason it doesn't work that way, likely that farmers can't be trusted!

Comment

Sorry I won't shut up.....why can't it be put in rail cars to the coast....that's a week sitting at the elevator and another week getting to port and then another week getting across the ocean....

Comment

You would likely need a license for "on farm fumigation".....to even buy the fumigant let alone use it. I have mine, kinda the same as a pesticide applicators license but specialized. I hope to never use it or as little as possibly possible!.

Comment

Bucket.... as wmoebis stated. ...temperature sensitive. Placards would be required to warn of fumigation in progress. Gas detection meters to measure concentration of gas if any remains if there is such a thing for methyl bromide. Insect activity drops below certain temperatures and affects fumigation efficacy.

Comment

Yeah I spoke too soon....it's quite a quandary. ....to me it makes the most sense to be done in India.

Unload the boat there into quarantine. ..fumigate it ....and send it on its way.....

Comment

I don't know a bunch about MeBr other than it works quickly - something like 16 hrs and it kills all living pests within the soil it infiltrates. It was deemed ozone depleting back in 2005 so has been phased out by developed countries except a few specific emergency uses. There are no direct replacements although an aluminum compound could also work-takes longer.
                        The reality is that it doesn't need to be done to our pulse shipments. But India insists it does.
                        The exemptions for Canada have been issued by India covering 6 month periods, for the last ten years. Til now.
                        The pulse industry has been working with CFIA and PPQ in India to try and establish a permanent solution to this, for the last ten years. It just hasn't happened.
                        Not for lack of trying.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                          1) the order expires March 31...
                          2) the price in india has puked...that's why they are in limbo...if the l/c is opened they lose. Hopefully you took 25% upfront before loading.
                          Agreed LW. A condition for sale is 25-40% non refundable downpayment. A person should also have a couple of other buyers from same country in their network. When a buyer decides not to accept your shipment landed on their soil, you keep the down payment and sell it to the "other guys" at the discount in which you already have as the deposit from the original buyer/rejector.

Comment

So if the nematode is only in the "earth pellets"(is that so?), wouldn't cleaning of bulk shipments dramatically reduce the chance of the nematodes being present. Pieces the same size and density might make the pellets hard to remove. Did someone say Canada doesn't even have the kind India is concerned about.

I'm not a seed processor, how much of a problem is earth pellets in cleaned peas and lentils?

Comment

Vomitoxin used here now. Me thinx they have bought all the lentils that they need and are demanding fumigation because they can. Who does it affect? The big boys who value that market and those who have not delivered yet, but probably not too many outstanding contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                                Agreed LW. A condition for sale is 25-40% non refundable downpayment. A person should also have a couple of other buyers from same country in their network. When a buyer decides not to accept your shipment landed on their soil, you keep the down payment and sell it to the "other guys" at the discount in which you already have as the deposit from the original buyer/rejector.

Yeah working on it... yes 1/3 paid for l/c for the rest problem isn't buyer so much as port authority

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.