• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of drought...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know why I even talk about this crap but it is just stating a fact.....with the snow we have now, it would only take a few short days of warm spring weather to melt most of it.

Time will tell, time is going by but it would only take a good spring rain to restore optimism
    Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 12, 2018, 08:37.

Comment

Yep situation is ugly dry. Cutting way back on canola acres and inputs. Sticking $60/acre blue seeds into powder that goes 8ft deep. Like hello Mcfly wake up Mr. input dealer.

Comment

Still have the luxury of hope and denial at this date

Comment

So is this pattern more normal, prior to the last twelve or so years in most areas, or is it exceptional? If more normal, we had it coming, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            So is this pattern more normal, prior to the last twelve or so years in most areas, or is it exceptional? If more normal, we had it coming, no?
            Seems drier than "normal" for us here. I usually took solace in the fact we were always able to pull something off. But since our last dry spell, inputs and risk is much higher now than then. But when others were too wet, things were pretty darn good here, we had the odd year on our farm that was challenging but nothing like what some other people faced, and you didn't have to go much further east it was alot tougher yet, between accumulated standing water and hard to work in field conditions.

Maybe it's someone else's turn to have good luck. I'll play the hand I'm dealt the best i can.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              Seems drier than "normal" for us here. I usually took solace in the fact we were always able to pull something off. But since our last dry spell, inputs and risk is much higher now than then. But when others were too wet, things were pretty darn good here, we had the odd year on our farm that was challenging but nothing like what some other people faced, and you didn't have to go much further east it was alot tougher yet, between accumulated standing water and hard to work in field conditions.

Maybe it's someone else's turn to have good luck. I'll play the hand I'm dealt the best i can.
              Is it safe to say that after so many wet years, all of us have an unrealistic sense of what normal actually is? Much of the prairies is after all considered semi-arid. A return to more long term conditions would be a shock not only to us producers but also to the entire supply chain. Perhaps higher production in these anomalous wet years are what stops industry from investing in export infrastructure, when it may all be a distant memory in due time.

I'm with Sheepwheat, praying for a return to normal dryer conditions. At least until it actually stops raining for months on end as it did the past three years, then I quickly forget the horrors of drowning crops.

Comment

Sheepwheat, not sure how many year's data this is based on but the classifications of drought beside the image describe them in terms of how often they happen - hence the red area is extreme drought that usually happens only every 20-25 years, the next severest colour occurs every 10-20 years, the next every 5-10 years and the yellow reflects a once every 3-5 years occurrence. It's a worrying picture but of course is just a shot in time - we could well have a wet spring or summer in many areas. Time will tell.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...