• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of drought...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of drought...

I have seen some saying they had got plenty or too much snow already - does this interactive map reflect the reality in your area? Looking scarily dry over a large area at the moment.

http://maps.canada.ca/journal/content-en.html?lang=en&appid=5e29f118382949fca59f83028f17 c41e&appidalt=95a6f2929493451b9a65d23008985a9d

Tried c/p the link but comes up blank...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
      Tried c/p the link but comes up blank...
      That's weird, sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Just Google "Canada Drought Monitor" and you'll be able to access it.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
        That's weird, sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Just Google "Canada Drought Monitor" and you'll be able to access it.
        Snow pack? Or subsoil moisture?

Comment

As Brad says....hope beats fear. But the market won't react until it's too late for Us. Or another good reason for the prices not to rise is "because the dryness is already factored in".... lol. "That's nice" Mrs Brown(furrow lol)
          Last edited by farmaholic; Feb 11, 2018, 22:06.

Comment

Shows us as white bordering on yellow. Subsoil moisture grew last year's crop and there really hasn't been anything significant since. Snow pack is low. Conditions are probably closer to long range average than they have been last 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
              Snow pack? Or subsoil moisture?
              This was the graphic.

Comment

We're in the middle of the bullseye! It's the unbroken trend that has me defecating bricks here....and without subsoil moisture they're passing sideways!

Maybe by July Trudeau's ProPot legislation will have me singing "don't worry, be happy".

Comment

One good Easter 3-day storm can change everything Farmaholic. We'll get on our knees and pray to the climate-change gods 😎

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    One good Easter 3-day storm can change everything Farmaholic. We'll get on our knees and pray to the climate-change gods 😎
                    Hope beats fear but denial is foolhardy

Comment

Climate change will bring you a big spring storm.

Comment

We are in a “moderate drought zone”. No it is not accurate. We are sitting very nice. Lots of snow, decent fall moisture. My question, is this map based on comparisons of the last 15 years or is this a longer time frame? For us, compared to the last 15 years, yes it is drier, but finally, and happily. If I compare it to longer term usual moisture levels, we would be right on normal.

I do hope it stops snowing, or the wet cycle could take off again. Should have a normal runoff at this point. Bad news is that half our snow comes in feb and March...hope that doesn’t happen!

In our area, the last growing season, and this winter, have been the closest to normal that I have seen, since the last great year of 2003. For us, that is good. I do know that we probably have about the most snow cover anywhere in the province from what I can see. It does look concerning in most areas.

Story of my life. I diversify into sheep,partly because of the last 15 hideous grain growing years, and now, I suppose the drier, more productive years are back! Lol
                        Last edited by Sheepwheat; Feb 12, 2018, 08:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          We are in a “moderate drought zone”. No it is not accurate. We are sitting very nice. Lots of snow, decent fall moisture. My question, is this map based on comparisons of the last 15 years or is this a longer time frame? For us, compared to the last 15 years, yes it is drier, but finally, and happily. If I compare it to longer term usual moisture levels, we would be right on normal.

I do hope it stops snowing, or the wet cycle could take off again. Should have a normal runoff at this point. Bad news is that half our snow comes in feb and March...hope that doesn’t happen!

In our area, the last growing season, and this winter, have been the closest to normal that I have seen, since the last great year of 2003. For us, that is good. I do know that we probably have about the most snow cover anywhere in the province from what I can see. It does look concerning in most areas.
                          we are the same mod. drought , we were very dry all summer but froze up wet and have a lot of snow here now . very , very cold all winter though and the wind never stops which is odd for this country ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            we are the same mod. drought , we were very dry all summer but froze up wet and have a lot of snow here now . very , very cold all winter though and the wind never stops which is odd for this country ?
                            Yeah cold and windy for sure. Minus 36 this morning. I do not remember if the good old days were windy or not? Definitely been more wind than usual, especially windy AND cold. Sheep spending far more time bedded in the bush than the last several winters.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                              This was the graphic.

That red circle should be a lot bigger.
                              Need 2-2.5 ft of heavy wet, and 2 inch rain. We should then have good germination. Might be asking for a lot but may as well go all in.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.