• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A interesting tweet from a indigenous friend

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
    Every little function I attend and the mc starts with thanking all the treaties whose land we're on. My mind thanks my forefathers who built everything on it that we're using today.
    Enough with the land acknowledgements..
    Either give it back or shut the F up.
    And i say this with full metis friends and family ( through marriage). They feel the same way!

Comment

First nations in Canada are still very aware of the impact of colonization and the Indian act in Canada. So no Landownunder, they are not over it. As much as you would like it to be.

And according to some "Australia’s indigenous people say they’re still suffering legacy of British colonialism" too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1p0jJg8fRM . So it doesn't sound like Aboriginals in Australia are over it.

Learning and accepting our history whether good or the bad is hard for some people.

I can understand some of the lack of empathy and backlash coming from people who are not doing so well and see first nations as not sharing their same political views or culture.

But when the negative backlash comes from successful farmers and non indigenous people who who are relatively well off and have all the advantages and relatively little to complain about, it is difficult to understand.

The good thing is the younger generations are learning the history and are much more aware of indigenous issues and are much more sympathetic and supportive.
      Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2023, 07:23.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
        Enough with the land acknowledgements..
        Either give it back or shut the F up.
        And i say this with full metis friends and family ( through marriage). They feel the same way!
        It's a way too build understanding and learning about our history and the history of the treaties. That history was neglected and never really taught in schools.

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that many of us live on indigenous treaty and non treaty land.

We don't have to give it back and we shouldn't shut up about it and hide it either.

The Metis also have several outstanding land claims issues and were not given all the land they were promised.
        Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2023, 07:43.

Comment

From Wilton, "Not disagreeing with any of this. Seems though playing the same old tune on the same old violin especially on this forum is counterproductive. Instead of being a perpetual complainer why not highlight some of the successes First Nations communities have had both on and off reserve. Think a lot of us root for the successful more so than want to cry for the failures. Highlight those who want to get ahead but are hampered by the Indian Act, internecine affairs, or government. Colonialism messed a lot of shit up all around this world and we are paying for it today. It’s not a problem exclusive to First Nations in Canada. Better off to study the successes and use that as a guideline to fixing the mess."

I am in agreement. We should be looking at successes and solutions. There are many.

We now have a movent and a duty to consult and include first nations in resource development on ancestral lands and these are positive developments.

But you should also ask your fellow posters and Landownunder why they keep posting the negative stories about first nations people and almost ignore all the success stories?
          Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2023, 08:39.

Comment

"First nations in Canada are still very aware of the impact of colonization and the Indian act in Canada. So no Landownunder, they are not over it. As much as you would like it to be."

Where did he offer an opinion on our natives and what they 'should' be doing?
            A good professional might help you find the root of all that passive aggressive anger.

Comment

Landownunder drew a slight parallel with Canada.

And it's not hard to find Aboriginals on the internet in Australia who disagree with the statement that they are over colonization

It's a bit of laugh that Landownunder thinks he can be a spokesperson for all Australian aboriginals based on the comments on his twitter account?

And the parallel between indigenous Canada and Aboriginal Australia is not slight its very strong.
              Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 16, 2023, 08:46.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

It's a bit of laugh that Landownunder thinks he can be a spokesperson for all Australian aboriginals based on the comments on his twitter account?
                Your complete lack of self awareness is truly a sight to behold!

Comment

Landownunder quoted just one tweet from a "proud black fella" Just one! So that must be the truth? Or just the one Downunder agrees with? LOL

"This behaviour has nothing to with colonization. It has everything to do with entitlement"

That's his opinion, but the assumption that this likely represents the range of opinions of all aboriginals is a bit of stretch. Most twitter comments were about the bad behaviour.

But it's a complete pile of BS by anyone to say that the impact of colonization has nothing to to do with the present day lives of first nations in Canada or Aboriginals in Australia.

Of course many people who share a certain point of view, want to deny the wrongs and sweep the history under the rug and forget about it.

But at least in Canada, Conservative Prime Minister Harper apologized for the harm and legacy of residential schools based on the Truth and Reconciliation commission findings.

But try to keep denying that none of this had anything to do with colonization.

Comment

weve had quite a few apologies over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordy2323 View Post
                      Your complete lack of self awareness is truly a sight to behold!
                      That went right over his head. I wonder if he ever bothers to read what he posts? He's literally guilty of the very thing he's accusing others of doing, and hasn't got the slightest clue, even when you so tactfully brought it to his attention, just doubled down instead.

Comment

So funny how some people can’t avoid dog whistles with animalistic devotion. With chat gpt now you wonder what was Glenn has been uploaded into ai to spew the same stuff. Then again some fellow lefties whom we both know are just as entrenched so I it’s still old Glenn on his one man crusade fighting all the wrongs by acting like the evil people he fights.

Comment

all good glenn.

was just trying to point out many indigenous have different opinions.

Comment

i wish i could find a video on youtube i watched about two years ago , it was a native talking and he said most of their problems are their own fault

Comment

Did I say indigenous people don't have a variety of opinions? Nope.

And Downunder I think you were well meaning, but you posted one guy's opinion when we know there are people who disagree with the aboriginal guy who said it was all just "entitlement" and had nothing to do with Australia's colonial past. Why just focus on the opinion you probably agree with but ignore the other opinions you might not agree with?

And of course there are a lot people like Crop grower who want to believe that first nations have caused a lot of their own problems and don't want to admit that colonization, racism and government policies have anything to do with the present day realities of first nations.

I have said it many times. It is a shared responsibility to make the lives of first nation people better. That means they have some responsibility and so does everyone else.
                              Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 17, 2023, 08:05.

Comment

Coming from the thought cop who is the first with derogatory sarcasm.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.