• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brrrrr!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    Need that Chinook on Monday so that the cows can clean up the silage bales they didn’t eat fast enough 😂

No hard-frozen bales this year yet here - we have had an exceptionally mild winter so far. Just a few inches of frozen material on the outside, which they can chew through.

But that's a good thing because I'm feeding some very wet, wrapped oats/peas/barley bales that would turn into ice cubes in those temperatures. Other years, we have had them freeze so hard that the netwrap doesn't want to come off and the girls can't chew the outer layers off.

Although a mild winter has its own problems, I'll take this for now.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
      No hard-frozen bales this year yet here - we have had an exceptionally mild winter so far. Just a few inches of frozen material on the outside, which they can chew through.

But that's a good thing because I'm feeding some very wet, wrapped oats/peas/barley bales that would turn into ice cubes in those temperatures. Other years, we have had them freeze so hard that the netwrap doesn't want to come off and the girls can't chew the outer layers off.

Although a mild winter has its own problems, I'll take this for now.
      There’s even spots in a couple of the hay bales that have frozen.

Sellers may be able to try and talk their way out of mouldy/dusty bales and say they were dry when they baled them.... but if the cores have frozen solid well... Only one way I can think of a core being wet enough to freeze while the outer layers are fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        There’s even spots in a couple of the hay bales that have frozen.

Sellers may be able to try and talk their way out of mouldy/dusty bales and say they were dry when they baled them.... but if the cores have frozen solid well... Only one way I can think of a core being wet enough to freeze while the outer layers are fine!

Strange - but that kind of strange usually didn't just happen without cause.

Very little good 1st cut made around here last summer. For as dry as it was overall, we never seemed to get that extra day it took to cure it. A little drizzle would drift over the area and there goes the quality.

A lot of wrapping happens around here. Kinda costly, but no leaf loss, no brown, rained on feed.

We cut some triple mix that was planted after barley harvest. Got a little over 2 - 4.5' bales/acre, cut on Oct. 24, baled 2 days later, barely wilted. Cows think it's candy.

So if we would get that kind of cold you have out there, they would freeze right thru and not thaw until June!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.